Terry Connor on Black Lives Matter

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Terry Connor on Black Lives Matter

Post by johnh »

I asked the Chinese couple, who run our local chippy, where they were from. They told me 'Malaysia', which means we have loads to talk about every time I go in.
I once played against Don Revie.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

I don't see anything wrong in enquiring where someone is from. It's usually a start for a conversation.

The error is making an assumption that if someone has say Oriental features they are from China.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Wigan White wrote:I don't see anything wrong in enquiring where someone is from. It's usually a start for a conversation.

The error is making an assumption that if someone has say Oriental features they are from China.
Well, now then, y'see, 'oriental' is a no-no term now, yet every one of us knows you're completely not racist :thumbup:
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Wigan White wrote:I don't see anything wrong in enquiring where someone is from. It's usually a start for a conversation.

Well, now then, y'see, 'oriental' is a no-no term now, yet every one of us knows you're completely not racist :thumbup:
I did my degree at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. The Orient covered the Near-, Middle- and Far-East. All of Asia basically. Originally (I think) the Orient was anywhere East of Rome, The Occident anywhere West of Rome. So, to back up ANS (and no offense intended to WW), the term "Oriental features" doesn't make sense.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:

I did my degree at the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. The Orient covered the Near-, Middle- and Far-East. All of Asia basically. Originally (I think) the Orient was anywhere East of Rome, The Occident anywhere West of Rome. So, to back up ANS (and no offense intended to WW), the term "Oriental features" doesn't make sense.
You are correct Sniffer that it is a silly assumption although you've educated me as I didn't realise the Orient starts East of Rome. Always thought it started at Istanbul probably based on the original Orient express terminating there (constantinoble).
Can also understand what WW is saying as think if you described someone as oriental the vast majority of the population would think Chinese, Korean, etc features.
Much the same as describing someone as Asian you think Indian or Pakistan features.
Inaccuracies in fact that have become the normal when describing people.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Wigan White

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:

You are correct Sniffer that it is a silly assumption although you've educated me as I didn't realise the Orient starts East of Rome. Always thought it started at Istanbul probably based on the original Orient express terminating there (constantinople).
Can also understand what WW is saying as think if you described someone as oriental the vast majority of the population would think Chinese, Korean, etc features.
Much the same as describing someone as Asian you think Indian or Pakistan features.
Thank you SW. Maybe I worded it badly but I did use the words "error" and "assumption" in the phrase.

Been sitting here quietly simmering wondering whether to edit /delete the post in case it's seen as racist.

I've calmed down now. :D
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The term "Asian" is a catch-all in America so I would use it to describe both Jeanna (Malaysian) and her friend Ishani (Indian) and people wouldn't bat an eyelid.
I have said it here and people assume she's Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi till they see a picture and then they say "I thought you said she was Asian ?" to which I don't reply but just keep staring at them till the penny drops.

I actually think it would be useful if someone - I don't know who, maybe the UN or UNICEF or some other international organisation - created a website/social media presence to explain the terminology which does change over time.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Wigan White wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Sniffer wrote:

You are correct Sniffer that it is a silly assumption although you've educated me as I didn't realise the Orient starts East of Rome. Always thought it started at Istanbul probably based on the original Orient express terminating there (constantinople).
Thank you SW. Maybe I worded it badly but I did use the words "error" and "assumption" in the phrase.

Been sitting here quietly simmering wondering whether to edit /delete the post in case it's seen as racist.

I've calmed down now. :D
The Oriental assumption isn't helped by the fact a lot of Chinese restaurants and takeaways describe themselves as Oriental.
Hence we tend to think of Far Eastern appearances as been Oriental and not others that technically are.
Guilty as charged as suspect many of us are.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
I actually think it would be useful if someone - I don't know who, maybe the UN or UNICEF or some other international organisation - created a website/social media presence to explain the terminology which does change over time.
Good idea that :thumbup:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

rigger wrote:The term "Asian" is a catch-all in America so I would use it to describe both Jeanna (Malaysian) and her friend Ishani (Indian) and people wouldn't bat an eyelid.
I have said it here and people assume she's Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi till they see a picture and then they say "I thought you said she was Asian ?" to which I don't reply but just keep staring at them till the penny drops.

Same here Indian and Malaysian are Asian to me probably due to the fact both countries are in the continent of Asia, I know it sounds so simple.

BUT same here I say that here in OZ and people look at my like I've got something hanging from my nose.

(Oh by the way I don't ;) )
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.