R.I.P. Big Jack

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: R.I.P. Big Jack

Post by Barlow Boy »

Match of Their Day, tonight at 10.45 on BBC2, is a tribute edition to Big Jack.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Blanc de blanc
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Blanc de blanc »

Spotted this https://unherd.com/2020/08/jack-charlto ... iod_type=3 about Jack and his north eastern roots, specifically a 1971 Tyne Tees profile “Big Jack’s Other World”. What a character he was.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Blanc de blanc wrote:Spotted this https://unherd.com/2020/08/jack-charlto ... iod_type=3 about Jack and his north eastern roots, specifically a 1971 Tyne Tees profile “Big Jack’s Other World”. What a character he was.
Thanks for posting that. Excellent article and summed Jack up to a tee.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

If you’ve 30 minutes to spare there’s a Desert Island Discs currently available featuring Big Jack. It’s an excellent listen highly recommend
Winner of the Europa League
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Heard that before. He comes across really well.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Around 1965/66, Leeds United used to send out the players one midweek afternoon to coach schoolboys.
Jack Charlton and Willie Bell were assigned to our school, Leeds Central High, for a few weeks.
They would teach a bit of ball control and a few moves then set up and referee a game for us to practice what they taught us.
They would sometimes join in the game to set things up for one side or demonstrate something.
One week Jack joins in, he's running downfield with the ball, he's running right at me, I'm going to tackle him. Mistake.
I gave it everything I had, I got my foot behind the ball, but it was like running into the Flying Scotsman at 100 mph. Somersaulted though the air, next thing I know Jack is dragging me up by my shirt collar, he says, "Careful lad, don't be doing daft things like that, you might get hurt".
I was hurting for days, worth every bruise though.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Love that!

Histon FC legend Steve Fallon coached the village school and they won the English Schools FA CUP - amazing ... a little village school in Cambridgeshire beating every school in England - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/camb ... 757505.stm - every bit as amazing as what Bielsa did to the Leeds players :-)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Mick McCarthy on Big Jack a very good read indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nged-lives
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Mick McCarthy on Big Jack a very good read indeed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... nged-lives

It was a very good read-somebody posted the link on the ITFC Forum that I am on, because MM wrote it.

Just as an aside there is still a hell of a lot of feeling about MM here in Suffolk and I am one of those that still love the man

I think he would have loved the chance to have managed at Elland Road but any chances of that happening are long gone now.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Pretty sure Mick Mac was born in Royston, a part of Barnsley where Mrs NW was also born. Always liked the man a proper Yorkie in my opinion. He’s definitely up there with people I’d like a pint with.
Another famous son of the town is Dickie Bird who I often see at the cricket & he’ll always come on sit & chat to us always calling my wife Miss Royston :D One day at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton he finished his chat with us & walked off when a lady came over & asked if that was Dickie who had been speaking to us I replied yes. Oh my son who’s cricket mad would love to have had his photo taken with him & pointed to a lad in a wheelchair. I excused myself & caught up with Dickie & told him about the lad. Dickie walked back with me & went over to the boy had his photo taken then spent the next half an hour chatting to him. The lads face was a picture & had me & the wife in tears. Top man.