Fans back in stadiums

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Fans back in stadiums

Post by Nic »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Leicester White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Blimey, fans back in the ground for the West Brom game (albeit only around 9,400).
A bit like going to ER in 1986! :-)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obviously, I want to get back to ER like everyone else, but 9,400 fans rattling around that stadium, socially distanced, wearing masks, not having a beer or meet up beforehand, clubs having to sort out who goes and who doesn’t, presumably losing money in hosting the game.

I don’t see the point at all for just 1 game.
I am sure Angus Kinnear in a recent podcast said they wouldn't open up the stadium to fans until everyone is allowed back. It didn't make commercial sense as it would cost more to have a couple thousand in.

When London and Liverpool allowed fans in earlier this season I'm sure they had them all stuck in one stand rather than socially distanced - obviously costs less if you limit the stands you open, but did seem to go against the idea.

If they are doing it for just the last game it is purely symbolic and doesn't matter whether losing money. It indicates a return towards normality i.e. next season hopefully full crowds, and also allows the lucky few to cheer on the squad in their first season back.

So long as it's fans in the vocal stands I'm sure 9K will sound like 39K
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Have to say I’m 50/50 on this, a quick straw poll among our WhatsApp group of ST holders last night was basically saying what’s the point, it’s just not going to be the same, leave it for this season and start properly back in August when we’ve all had the jab.

You’re right Nic, it’s a symbolic gesture, but it’s just created yet another headache for the clubs, and I can’t see them wanting to lose yet more money in an already disastrous financial year (even Premier League clubs have been hit hard). I haven’t heard the Angus Kinnear comments, but they are completely understandable, I’m not sure how the FA would act (who have welcomed the return of fans) though or is it strictly down to the individual clubs ?
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

I'm in a syndicate for a class 6 race horse and won the ballot to go to Doncaster with a mate - interesting experience and eery for the last race as we were the only owners who stayed for it! The queue for the bar would be good if they are allowed to serve ale. I'd go, I've missed the place.
Last edited by Leicester White on 23 Feb 2021, 09:28, edited 1 time in total.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Best left until next season now, in my opinion.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

If all goes well, should be full capacity from the start of next season following today’s announcement by Boris.

Have to say, I cannot wait.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.