Fans back in stadiums

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Fans back in stadiums

Post by Barlow Boy »

Personally can’t see it myself......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54977370
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

If the question is 'how do we control a killer pandemic?' the answer is not 'get everybody back into football grounds'.

Mind you, nor was it 'open boozers, bookies and all sorts of other places'. But that's what happened.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Westminster wrote:If the question is 'how do we control a killer pandemic?' the answer is not 'get everybody back into football grounds'.

Mind you, nor was it 'open boozers, bookies and all sorts of other places'. But that's what happened.
Isnt the question why are the Government & (now) parts of the media still promoting it as a killer pandemic, look at the independent stats & data and you will see it is now nothing like a 'killer pandemic'
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

zigzag wrote:
Westminster wrote:If the question is 'how do we control a killer pandemic?' the answer is not 'get everybody back into football grounds'.

Isnt the question why are the Government & (now) parts of the media still promoting it as a killer pandemic, look at the independent stats & data and you will see it is now nothing like a 'killer pandemic'

Little confused to what stats & data say its not a killer pandemic is could you please explain ?
Also virtually every country in the World considers it a killer pandemic not just our government.
For the record the WHO declared this a Pandemic on 11th March (as it kills people I think the description is right).

The UK despite the lockdown is still running at over 20,000 new cases per day and over 400 deaths per day.
I'm sure I'd have issues explaining to my neighbour its not a killer pandemic as he lost his brother to it this week.

Worldwide we are running at over 600,000 new cases and 11,000 deaths per day, both figures higher than back in April.
Appreciate the new cases increase could in part be down to more testing but the deaths are running at more than 3,000 extra per day compared to the previous peak.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some fans allowed in after lockdown dependant on which tier a Club is in.

Under the softest measures in Tier 1 areas there will be a maximum crowd size of either 50 per cent stadium occupancy or 4,000 spectators – whichever number is smaller.

In the medium Tier 2 areas, the stadium rules will be 50 per cent of overall capacity or 2,000 – whichever number is smaller. Indoors, there will be a limit of 1,000 in both Tiers 1 and 2. However, for those in the strictest Tier 3 measures fans will still not be able to watch their teams live.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:Some fans allowed in after lockdown dependant on which tier a Club is in.

Under the softest measures in Tier 1 areas there will be a maximum crowd size of either 50 per cent stadium occupancy or 4,000 spectators – whichever number is smaller.

In the medium Tier 2 areas, the stadium rules will be 50 per cent of overall capacity or 2,000 – whichever number is smaller. Indoors, there will be a limit of 1,000 in both Tiers 1 and 2. However, for those in the strictest Tier 3 measures fans will still not be able to watch their teams live.
I appreciate there will be very few, if any, areas in Tier 1, but theoretically an 8,000 capacity stadium could have 4,000 fans in if I’m understanding that correctly.

How could they ensure all fans are socially distanced ?
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

zigzag wrote:

Hundreds of people are still dying from Covid-19 every day in the UK. Which, to me, makes it a killer.

Opening up all shops, pubs, gyms, etc. and football grounds will cause deaths to increase again. Just as loosening the lockdown caused another spike in deaths. Covid will continue to be a killer until a vaccine is widely available.

It's difficult to se any other way of understanding the situation as it stands.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:
zigzag wrote:

Hundreds of people are still dying from Covid-19 every day in the UK. Which, to me, makes it a killer.

Opening up all shops, pubs, gyms, etc. and football grounds will cause deaths to increase again. Just as loosening the lockdown caused another spike in deaths. Covid will continue to be a killer until a vaccine is widely available.

It's difficult to se any other way of understanding the situation as it stands.
Just to add it was the WHO that declared it a pandemic,.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

Priorities all wrong at the min. As much as we all want to eventually get back to normal, opening stadia when we still have so many people dying every day from the virus is just reckless.

Between this and the "well they won't stop me seeing my family at Christmas" brigade, it's just as well there's a vaccine on the horizon or we'd be utterly battered by this pandemic come February.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Scott wrote:Priorities all wrong at the min. As much as we all want to eventually get back to normal, opening stadia when we still have so many people dying every day from the virus is just reckless.

Between this and the "well they won't stop me seeing my family at Christmas" brigade, it's just as well there's a vaccine on the horizon or we'd be utterly battered by this pandemic come February.
I agree. Over 600 hundred deaths reported today - ie. deaths are still rising.

How anybody can think it's a good idea to get crowds back into football grounds is beyond me. Or to allow social mixing over Christmas. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go over 1,000 deaths a day in January/February if they do that, which will be worse than when we started out.

People are talking about these vaccines but it'll be a fair time until they're widely available, I suspect longer than some of the dates that are being bandied about. We should be keeping things restricted until such time as we can get everybody vaccinated. Never mind going to the football.