2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by johnh »

Leed are 'hopeful of reaching an agreement over a new deal'. Is it 'contract renewal' time? Hints of a move to Galatasaray? Sounds like his Agent is sharpening his pencil.
I once played against Don Revie.
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

I know that we won't sign anybody in January, but as West Brom wants Maitland-Niles, I think he is absolutely the player we need: capable in either full back roles, and can play in midfield too.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

superfox wrote:I know that we won't sign anybody in January, but as West Brom wants Maitland-Niles, I think he is absolutely the player we need: capable in either full back roles, and can play in midfield too.
Would agree he could be a great option - Certainly would be 1st choice at LB in my opinion either in a back four or wing back role
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Conor Shaughnessy departs the club, joins Rochdale permanently on a free transfer.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Peacock93
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Peacock93 »

About the right level I'd say, although I don't know too much about him. All the best to him in his next chapter.
Marching On Together
Peacock93
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Peacock93 »

Raf Mujica has gone on loan to Las Palmas in the Spanish second division according to BBC.
Marching On Together
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Leonickroberts wrote:Noise growing around potential move for Alioski to Galatasaray in this window. Although none of us think he's technically a great player, it seems a risk to lose him now, and obvs would be a real shame if he went there.
Some talk also of a new deal in the offing but that might be Alioski's agent either testing the water or wanting to get things moving by the looks of things as there appears nothing coming out of the club.

He cost under £3m when he came in -?2018 - and he has given a very decent return for that money. It was big time money for Leeds in those none too distant days.

Since then though, things have moved on and in the Premiership getting whole hearted effort and commitment is great but by itself it is not enough. More quality is needed and it is natural that there will be some parting of the ways.

So in the examples of Alioski and Barardi either the player or the club, hopefully mutually, will decide on what is best for each party. I think in both cases we will see a parting of the ways in the close season
Keep The Faith / WAL
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jay-Roy Grot departs the club, joins Vfl Osnabruck on a permanent deal.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

I was thinking about the Costa situation and a thought came to my mind.

There are 2 sides to a transfer, the buy and the sell for the same player from one perspective. So we bought Costa at 16 million. That seems a bad deal I think we'll all agree. Now we have 2 choices, we persevere and hope he comes good, he might he might not, the he either goes for nothing at the end of his contract or he comes good signs again. The other option is we cash in now. If we cash in I think 10 million would be about the best we could hope to get back for him at best. A loss of 6 million. Some would say that is a terrible deal considering what we paid last summer. However as I say there are two separate sides that should be considered in isolation. If we sold him for 10 mil, then we are in fact getting 10 mil that if his contract just runs down we won't see. Also we save 3 years of his wages which I would expect to be about the 40k mark meaning we save over 6 million pounds on wages. So realistically the club would be 16 million better off by selling than not.

Thoughts?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

HalifaxWhite wrote:I was thinking about the Costa situation and a thought came to my mind.

There are 2 sides to a transfer, the buy and the sell for the same player from one perspective. So we bought Costa at 16 million. That seems a bad deal I think we'll all agree. Now we have 2 choices, we persevere and hope he comes good, he might he might not, the he either goes for nothing at the end of his contract or he comes good signs again. The other option is we cash in now. If we cash in I think 10 million would be about the best we could hope to get back for him at best. A loss of 6 million. Some would say that is a terrible deal considering what we paid last summer. However as I say there are two separate sides that should be considered in isolation. If we sold him for 10 mil, then we are in fact getting 10 mil that if his contract just runs down we won't see. Also we save 3 years of his wages which I would expect to be about the 40k mark meaning we save over 6 million pounds on wages. So realistically the club would be 16 million better off by selling than not.

Thoughts?
Great if you can find a club that will pay £10mill.
And secondly it assumes MB wants rid and isn't happy to keep him as a fringe player.

£15mill in hindsight has turned out a lot but at the time it was possibly difficult to attract players.
Saying that he did play a role in our promotion season (43 games) so in that sense it could be classed money well spent.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.