2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

corkleedsmot wrote:If it said only when we are promoted then i knew we would def lose any case going forward but the date makes it quite clear. Moral high ground in my view was lost when they tried to change the contract after the fact. An effort to make sure they caught Leeds out for a player they knew we wouldn't want. Moral high ground literally wont matter here anywhere it is quite clear. Leeds on June 30th were not promoted so not liable. It was RBL decision to not claim their player who is registered to them. Neither side is covered in glory here anyway. All situations played out to current contracts over covid. Players had to negotiate new deals etc. If they didn't there would now be thousands of cases and there hasn't been. It is my View that Messi would have lost too. The idea he didnt want to take Barca to court is nonsense.... he has already taken Barca to court. He knew he would lose.
I agree with everything you said here, you're not alone mate.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

What if things worked out differently for Augustin?
What if he was 100% fit all the time he was here.
What if he was a perfect fit in the squad and scored many goals for Leeds before and after the break for corona virus.
Obviously we would have honoured the contract and gladly paid up.
But what if Leipzig then said "No, loan deal only we want him back", which is what we are trying to twist the contract to mean.
We achieved promotion, we cannot use the corona virus delay, season over running original schedule, an act of God, as an excuse for backing out of the deal.
As things worked out we are in the middle of a not a tug of war more like a push of war.
Sorry to say there is a human being in the middle of all this, I hope that Augustin has a great season on loan at his new club, and has a long and successful career in football.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Saxon wrote:What if things worked out differently for Augustin?
What if he was a perfect fit in the squad and scored many goals for Leeds before and after the break for corona virus.
But what if Leipzig then said "No, loan deal only we want him back", which is what we are trying to twist the contract to mean.
We achieved promotion, we cannot use the corona virus delay, season over running original schedule, an act of God, as an excuse for backing out of the deal.
As things worked out we are in the middle of a not a tug of war more like a push of war.
Sorry to say there is a human being in the middle of all this, I hope that Augustin has a great season on loan at his new club, and has a long and successful career in football.
Yup. Agree with those sentiments.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Reports of an injury to Llorente pricked up on International duty.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Well done Saxon, you hit the nail on the head, never mind the clubs theres a person involved here... I too overlooked that.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
bedfordwhites
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by bedfordwhites »

No Liam Cooper tonight in Scotland squad against Slovakia. Another injury ?
Lets hope he will be fit for Wolves on the 19th. MOT.
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

bedfordwhites wrote:No Liam Cooper tonight in Scotland squad against Slovakia. Another injury ?
Lets hope he will be fit for Wolves on the 19th. MOT.
Cooper injured, as is Llorente. Hope at least one of them is fit for the Wolves game.
Seathrun66

Post by Seathrun66 »

West beach white wrote:
Seathrun66 wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:We are not having much luck with German teams. You would almost think they are looking to unload on English clubs for max value :0

Just read Hay's article on the Augustin situation and it eased my mind on that. the date is listed (huge) and RBL tried to even get Leeds to change it (showing they already know they are going to be liable)

They have not got a leg to stand on. They can spout all the morality nonsense they want. They essentially tried to make sure we bore the full brunt of the 18 mill and could not. I have no sympathy for them in this case.

What they should have done was tried to broker a FAIR deal with Leeds where they kept it quiet and non public and moved him on and shared the difference between both clubs.

Then I am sure Leeds would have reacted "In the spirit of the game" and come to some arrangement. Radz acted appropriately here and held firm.

Spirit of the game is putting the ball out of play for an injured player, not letting some German club bend you over for 18 million pounds.

The getting FIFA involved bit is hilarious.

Enjoy Gvardiol RBL, Leeds just aren't paying for him :)
Got to respectfully disagree. Unfortunately they've got a stronger case than Leeds. We agreed to buy him in the event of promotion and the date will not be rigidly applied given the Covid-19 circumstances. Messi would have won his case versus Barcelona, though he went beyond the transfer request date, but he chose not to go down that route.

RBL's lawyers will have made them aware of this and thus they had no hesitation in allowing Augustin to leave as a free agent rather than trying to recoup some of the money from Nantes. RBL know that we're going to have to pay them off and I happen to think they're in the right. Had we sent a player out on a loan deal with another club who reneged on a deal to buy then we'd be furious.

The best thing Leeds can do is come to some sort of arrangement with RBL, pay them half of the cash or close. Saves having to shell out the entire lot after intervention by FIFA or the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

To say Messi ‘would have won his case against Barcelona’ is nonsense, there is no evidence to say this is so. I’m assuming it’s just your opinion.
Plenty of players refused to play on after their contracts had expired and the clubs could do nothing about it.

I’m also in the belief that RBL don’t have a leg to stand on
An opinion yes, but one based on twenty-five years doing some legal work. Not definitive, but I can't see any way in which RBL would lose this case.

In Messi's case he is contractually allowed to give notice at the end of the season and leave for free. There is a cut-off date but Covid-19 ensured that was passed. He was also given an oral guarantee by the Barcelona president Bartomeu that this clause would be honoured but this was reneged upon. The end of season notice is the crucial bit and that is how it would be interpreted by the courts given the extraordinary circumstances. Messi chose not to end his time with the club dragging them through the courts . An honourable stance. Bartomeu much less so.

In Leeds' case we took a player on loan and contractually agreed a fee if promoted. There was a cut-off date but again the courts would interpret the promotion as being by far the more significant factor. RBL know they'll win a court action or else they'd not have let Augustin head to France for free. They could have take a fee of €5m or thereabouts (complete guesswork here as to his current value) for the player but know that it could wreck their legal action and they also they'll likely get a greater amount from Leeds. They will, however, undoubtedly settle and it's up to the Leeds board to negotiate with RBL to determine what they'd accept. The last thing we want is to have to pay out €21m plus the legal costs of both clubs. We've handled this very badly, time to get it over and done and move on with more important stuff.
Last edited by Seathrun66 on 11 Oct 2020, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Seathrun66

Post by Seathrun66 »

corkleedsmot wrote:If it said only when we are promoted then i knew we would def lose any case going forward but the date makes it quite clear. Moral high ground in my view was lost when they tried to change the contract after the fact. An effort to make sure they caught Leeds out for a player they knew we wouldn't want. Moral high ground literally wont matter here anywhere it is quite clear. Leeds on June 30th were not promoted so not liable. It was RBL decision to not claim their player who is registered to them. Neither side is covered in glory here anyway. All situations played out to current contracts over covid. Players had to negotiate new deals etc. If they didn't there would now be thousands of cases and there hasn't been. It is my View that Messi would have lost too. The idea he didnt want to take Barca to court is nonsense.... he has already taken Barca to court. He knew he would lose.
What exactly have RBL done wrong? Nothing I can see. If this was another English club we'd have paid up already and tried to cut our losses by selling Augustin on at a reduced price.

When did Messi take Barcelona to court? No record I can find. He's aware that even with a legal victory it would spoil his peerless legacy with the club.

And it's not moral high ground in this instance, it's clear legal interpretation for which we are in the wrong. And very clearly so.
Last edited by Seathrun66 on 11 Oct 2020, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Seathrun66

Post by Seathrun66 »

Spot on. Let's hope his time with us was a blip and he has a chance to prove himself in France.