2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by HalifaxWhite »

SiMamu wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:So I thinking now that the Allen signing is the Pablo replacement box ticked. Reason being he plays mid or attack so will have a good balance in CAM. Also he is very young, it is not likely we will play with two in CM and one in CAM in our first season back very often (more of a late match sub like towards the end of this season) we will probs have KP, Klich and another in CM to keep it solid.

That gives Allen an extra year to develop with help from Pablo I think whilst making the cup games and odd league sub appearance.

Gelhart is backup/future CF, meaning we are still looking for a first choice competition for PB, someone like Edouard or David. As discussed already CB cover sorted by having Ayling cover and Struijk,

so just need our starting CB hopefully White and need a LB still

I think all in all we might see 3 more signings, White, LB, CF.

At a push maybe another keeper and winger backup.

I'd be pretty happy with the extra 3 and delighted with the 5.
I think that Allen's more of a ST than an attacking midfielder, plus he's 16 so I doubt he'd be one of the youngsters first in line to first team action. I think that Wigan's Sean McGurk - who we've also been linked with - is a young attacking midfielder though.
Allen is definitely an attacking midfielder, they've been comparing him to Billy Gilmore is everything I've read.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:So I thinking now that the Allen signing is the Pablo replacement box ticked. Reason being he plays mid or attack so will have a good balance in CAM. Also he is very young, it is not likely we will play with two in CM and one in CAM in our first season back very often (more of a late match sub like towards the end of this season) we will probs have KP, Klich and another in CM to keep it solid.

That gives Allen an extra year to develop with help from Pablo I think whilst making the cup games and odd league sub appearance.

Gelhart is backup/future CF, meaning we are still looking for a first choice competition for PB, someone like Edouard or David. As discussed already CB cover sorted by having Ayling cover and Struijk,

I think that Allen's more of a ST than an attacking midfielder, plus he's 16 so I doubt he'd be one of the youngsters first in line to first team action. I think that Wigan's Sean McGurk - who we've also been linked with - is a young attacking midfielder though.
Allen is definitely an attacking midfielder, they've been comparing him to Billy Gilmore is everything I've read.
Wait, yep, you’re right. My bad.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

https://motleedsnews.com/transfers/play ... id-report/

We tabled a 31.4 million bid for Jonathan David but he has rejected us and going to Lille for 24 million.

So the money is clearly available. The issue we have is young foreign players like this don't know how big a club we are. They just see a newly promoted team.

Shame.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

HalifaxWhite wrote:.
So the money is clearly available. The issue we have is young foreign players like this don't know how big a club we are. They just see a newly promoted team.
Shame.
Not so sure about that... A quick search in google would have unveil the rich history and size of the club to whoever interested. Im sure he has an agent and the club's staff to check and advise him if necessary.
Someone here said something true. He might feel more comfortable in a French speaking country. Maybe he has family there, maybe it was his dream to play in france (Who knows? The guy is canadian after all) and maybe he is just not ambitious enough to work hard and push for premier league (the best league in the world at the moment imo).
Leicester White

Post by Leicester White »

lufctrav wrote:
Leicester White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Joe Gelhardt now confirmed........

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... e-gelhardt
I'm thinking White plus one who is ready now to improve our 1st team and we will do a Wolves/Blades and finish top half - 5-2 odds.

BB, what are you thinking for your big bet for this season?
I saw elsewhere Bielsa was at 6-1 to win a manager of the month award this season. All it will take is a hot month.
Yes SkyBet ... not many winners of the award last season - from memory only 3 PL managers won it, but I can see Bielsa winning that with 7, 8 or 9 points in month 1. Good bet IMO.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Aqua- wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:.
Shame.
Not so sure about that... A quick search in google would have unveil the rich history and size of the club to whoever interested. Im sure he has an agent and the club's staff to check and advise him if necessary.
Someone here said something true. He might feel more comfortable in a French speaking country. Maybe he has family there, maybe it was his dream to play in france (Who knows? The guy is canadian after all) and maybe he is just not ambitious enough to work hard and push for premier league (the best league in the world at the moment imo).
He grew up in Haiti from 3 month to 6 year old (French speaking) then his family moved to Ottawa where he attended a French speaking school so suspect language is very much a big part of the reason he wants to play in France.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Also, LOSC has a fine academy and a brilliant record in developing talent, not to mention a brand new stadium, some real fans and the bonus of a beautiful city with amazing transport links across Europe.
Academy alumni off the top of my head include Eden Hazard, Antoine Sibierski, Yohan Cabaye, Franck Ribery, Lucas Digne, Divock Origi and Benjamin Pavard.
They also tend to be good at talent-spotting, cherry-picking good players, turning them into stars before selling them on : Nicolas Pepé, Sofiane Boufal, Idrissa Gueye all being recent examples.

As you can probably tell, Lille are my French team and they should probably be yours too, given the city is also twinned with Leeds :)
superfox

Post by superfox »

SiMamu wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:
SiMamu wrote:

Wait, yep, you’re right. My bad.
However you're right that Allen is not a direct replacement for Pablo, he is years away from being a senior player, and the Premier League is not a place for 16-17 year old kids. Look at Phil Foden, he is one of the most talented youngsters in the world, and still had to wait until 20.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Sounds like we've nearly signed young Ajax keeper Dani van den Heuvel - Another one for the u23s.

In spite of the silence around first team transfers, I'm quite excited by the profile of young player we're bringing in. All of them are highly rated and we've beaten top clubs to their signature. Couple this with the fact that Bielsa's tactical and training approaches run from top to bottom of the club and you'd like to think we're setting up well to reinstate the factory line of top quality youth with the we once had, this time with the advantage that they already think and play the way the first team do.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leonickroberts wrote:Sounds like we've nearly signed young Ajax keeper Dani van den Heuvel - Another one for the u23s.

In spite of the silence around first team transfers, I'm quite excited by the profile of young player we're bringing in. All of them are highly rated and we've beaten top clubs to their signature. Couple this with the fact that Bielsa's tactical and training approaches run from top to bottom of the club and you'd like to think we're setting up well to reinstate the factory line of top quality youth with the we once had, this time with the advantage that they already think and play the way the first team do.
I'm always a supporter of developing young talent and one benefit of having a great coach is that with the right attitude they can develop to their capabilities and either grow into our first team for years to come or if don't make the grade at Leeds be sold for a good profit.
Getting the best young talent around although never a guarantee increases the chances of the developing into top talent.

Still need 2 or 3 for the first team squad though.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.