2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:I just don't understand how your two posts relate to each other BB. It's madness to only have 1 fit first choice CB and still not be looking to bring in backup. No doubting that Struijk, Phillips and Ayling can do a job there, but a) not to the same standard; and b) moving Ayling in or Phillips back leaves gaps elsewhere.
Both bits came from the presser, in one breath MB saying Llorente is out for 2/3 weeks, and then went on to say they will be relying on Ayling, Pascal and Phillips to play back up. As you say, gaps appear elsewhere, presumably MB is happy with the replacements in those positions too.
When we made our signings (Koch & Llorente) I'm sure it wasn't anticipated that both would get injured at the same time. Ayling, Struijk & Phillips are in real terms our 4th choice back up for CB.
Would a top Prem standard CB come to play 4th choice in case others got injured?
What if neither had got injured?
Hindsight is a fantastic skill.
It's how it is we've not as many matches as those clubs in Europe to keep large squads happy (in fact less games than last season).

We know or should know by now that MB is a big believer in team/squad spirit and that is far easier to maintain with a smaller group. Injuries in the same position is always going to be an issue but it's a calculated gamble.
If you buy into MB's philosophy you buy into that.

As I said earlier bring someone in that would be happy been 4th choice and that wouldn't really be what we really need.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote: Most successful ? Not even in the top 100 ..
Putting my coaching head on I'm going to counter that argument and I love all aspects of what makes a team or player better whatever the sport.

Measuring success in trophies won of course is what the history books will always show but my philosophy looks at things differently.

For me coaching whether it's technical, tactical, psychological, physical, motivational etc is about getting someone to the best they can possibly be.

That's where MB excels, without him I doubt a good few of our players wouldn't be playing anywhere near the level they are at. Very much doubt the likes of Ayling, Dallas, Coops among ithers ever expected to be Prem regulars or Kalvin a England international until he arrived.

Many coaches would do well at the likes of the Manchester clubs and Chelsea with unlimited budgets, that's not real success as a coach to me.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

I suspect that DL got injured because he played against Chelsea when he wasn't match fit. I think Ayling has to play alongside Cooper as Cooper nor Struijk have any pace. Need the defence to be very disciplined over the next few weeks and let's hope we get no more injuries in that department
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

I'm not overly worried as I feel Ayling is an excellent replacement at the heart of the defence. I'd go as far as saying he had his best game playing there this season against Aston Villa and I also think Dallas is better at right back where he can bomb up and down the line. He also had a fine game at Villa.
My latest concern and it's been in the last few matches is we're starting to look shaky again at set pieces especially corners. I can't quite put my finger on why but just lately, maybe the last 3 or 4 matches, our old achilles heel is starting to rear its head again.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

Re a 4th CB - i agree with those saying we shouldnt get one in this window and that it will be impossible to bring high quality as 4th with possibility to be 3rd in the near future when coops our.
A permanent deal will be wasteful at the moment. We should loan a decent CB (from a big club i reckon) till end of season, if VO & MB thinks he might be a good signing for the future have a future optional buy clause in the summer.

Ill be honest i can see copper want to keep playing regular footbal at least for the next 2-3 years, but cant see him play for us as 1st choice & captain that long. Right now when full squad fit we dont really lack CBs but LB, KP replacement and maybe a No 10. Ayling is our 4th CB and dallas can play anywhere more or less - thats the point of having utility players. Besides that force us to play players like poveda, shacks, stuijk etc... And give them a chance. We have to allow them a chance. 3 weeks before the window opens is a great time to decide if they are up to it or with need to loan someone from outside.

About that, i get that a CB has a preferred side, but if wingers can switch places, dallas can play anywhere in midfield and L/RB, KP can play a No 8 (as in the season before bielsa) or can drop to CB, Berardi can play RB & CB etc... then Llorente can play 4 meters to the right. That is what required from players under MB, and the right mentality is needed to step in and own the position wherever the coach wants you. In the end its not a different role.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Very good post in my opinion Aqua
Aqua- wrote:Re a 4th CB - i agree with those saying we shouldnt get one in this window and that it will be impossible to bring high quality as 4th with possibility to be 3rd in the near future when coops our.
A permanent deal will be wasteful at the moment. We should loan a decent CB (from a big club i reckon) till end of season, if VO & MB thinks he might be a good signing for the future have a future optional buy clause in the summer.
Agree totally with this, if the right player is available on loan its far more the sensible route.
Aqua- wrote: Ill be honest i can see copper want to keep playing regular footbal at least for the next 2-3 years, but cant see him play for us as 1st choice & captain that long. Right now when full squad fit we dont really lack CBs but LB, KP replacement and maybe a No 10. Ayling is our 4th CB and dallas can play anywhere more or less - thats the point of having utility players. Besides that force us to play players like poveda, shacks, stuijk etc... And give them a chance. We have to allow them a chance. 3 weeks before the window opens is a great time to decide if they are up to it or with need to loan someone from outside.
Cooper does a job but agree there will come a time as we move up a level to compete near the top of the Prem he will step down or move on for regular football. Its a position that we have some fantastic talent (rate Casey, Cresswell & Kennah) but they are very young and progress may happen too soon so may need a stop gap until one of the named or someone else comes through the ranks.
I think MB is aiming at Struijk been a defensive midfielder that can play CB rather than the other way around.
Agree the likes of Struijk, Shacks, Poveda plus Davies need to be given 1st team exposure from the bench or covering injuries. At 21 year old (ish) if they are not good enough to be considered for that role they ain't going to make it.
Aqua- wrote:
About that, i get that a CB has a preferred side, but if wingers can switch places, dallas can play anywhere in midfield and L/RB, KP can play a No 8 (as in the season before bielsa) or can drop to CB, Berardi can play RB & CB etc... then Llorente can play 4 meters to the right. That is what required from players under MB, and the right mentality is needed to step in and own the position wherever the coach wants you. In the end its not a different role.
Agree players can play either side but still think they are better on their favourite side, for example for all Dallas excellent performances at LB how often does he overlap and get a cross in from the by-line, he usually cuts back onto his right foot.
With CB's its natural if playing on their correct side to force players away from goal and wide.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Read that we are being linked to Fikayo Tomori of Chelsea.
Seathrun66
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Seathrun66 »

LAsouthcoast wrote:Read that we are being linked to Fikayo Tomori of Chelsea.
Off to Rennes alas.
blackbox2342

Post by blackbox2342 »

If and it's a big IF Alli was available on loan would you take him?
LAsouthcoast

Post by LAsouthcoast »

I`m not sure I would and I don't think he has the work rate Bielsa requires.