2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Post by corkleedsmot »

Seathrun66 wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:If it said only when we are promoted then i knew we would def lose any case going forward but the date makes it quite clear. Moral high ground in my view was lost when they tried to change the contract after the fact. An effort to make sure they caught Leeds out for a player they knew we wouldn't want. Moral high ground literally wont matter here anywhere it is quite clear. Leeds on June 30th were not promoted so not liable. It was RBL decision to not claim their player who is registered to them. Neither side is covered in glory here anyway. All situations played out to current contracts over covid. Players had to negotiate new deals etc. If they didn't there would now be thousands of cases and there hasn't been. It is my View that Messi would have lost too. The idea he didnt want to take Barca to court is nonsense.... he has already taken Barca to court. He knew he would lose.
What exactly have RBL done wrong? Nothing I can see. If this was another English club we'd have paid up already and tried to cut our losses by selling Augustin on at a reduced price.

When did Messi take Barcelona to court? No record I can find. He's aware that even with a legal victory it would spoil his peerless legacy with the club.

And it's not moral high ground in this instance, it's clear legal interpretation for which we are in the wrong. And very clearly so.
Right and wrong do not come into it. It is a contract. The criteria were not met so we are not liable.

It has nothing to do with English or German. Talk to any lawyer besides RBL's and they will tell you the exact same thing.

It is the EXACT equivalent of RBL asking Leeds for 18 million if we were promoted the year after. They would be told to get stuffed then and rightly so.

The termination date is all that will matter which in this case was 30th of June.

Everybody else followed these rules and knew they had to renegotiate deals if they wanted. Leeds didn't want to. FIFA gave no directive which basically means they are saying contract dates too. (if they did otherwise the football world would have melted)

Ryan Fraser rejected a contract and refused to play with 3 months left. Berardi went the other way(here is where spirit of the game matters from a Leeds perspective). You need all parties to agree a contract. in this case you only had one.

I think you are not reading in between the lines. RBL are just gambling here. They want Augustin off their books either way as he is on 4.5 mill a year there. They should have taken their player back and sold him as you said but they dumped him to get out of his wages because Nantes would not be able to afford the deal for Augustin with a transfer fee and the player wouldn't leave if his deal wasn't solid leaving them liable for 18 mill over 4 years.

They will be cold and calculated about this and they are already prepared to lose. The morality nonsense to the press is just for show and believing multinational drinks corporations have souls is well... suboptimal thinking over time. That is not to say they won't be very angry. Bayern already lied to the press this week about Cuisance when suddenly sending him to France giving them 100% better terms. These are no angels and they are 100% trying to squeeze money out of English clubs who are rolling in TV money.

Leeds paid the staff with no redundancies, took care of Berardi to the best of my knowledge, kept Bielsa sweet and got us promoted after 16 years and then spent big on players.

Spirit of the game
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Saxon wrote:What if things worked out differently for Augustin?
What if he was 100% fit all the time he was here.
What if he was a perfect fit in the squad and scored many goals for Leeds before and after the break for corona virus.
Obviously we would have honoured the contract and gladly paid up.
But what if Leipzig then said "No, loan deal only we want him back", which is what we are trying to twist the contract to mean.
They would have been right to do so. And we would have tried to negotiate a contract extension as has happened with many other players. The contract is as the contract says.
I'm not losing sight of the fact that there is a person in the middle of all this but he arrived unfit and there were obviously other problems with him or Bielsa would have fought to keep him.
It's similar (but obviously very different :roll: ) to Cuisance who turns up ready and raring to play for us, all terms and conditions agreed, only to be told "Sorry, there is a possible problem with your left foot. We don't think you'll last the pace". The similarities being 1) a very disappointed player who had already said his goodbyes to his former employer and now had to return somewhat sheepishly, and 2) being able to take hardnosed business decisions that will upset some people.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

The COVID break lead to all loan deals either being renegotiated, resolved or expired by July 1.
Leeds negotiated extensions for Harrison, Meslier and White and completed Helder Costa's transfer.
JKA's loan deal however was allowed to expire and the terms of his move hadn't been met at this point. RBL tried to renegotiate, Leeds weren't interested. The loan spell came to an end.
There isn't a whole lot more to the story than that. It's a bad situation for the player involved but hopefully he can land on his feet at Nantes and progress his career.
The only reason why MB wasn't keen on him i feel was his body was struggling to get up to speed with his demands. It was the injury after lockdown that ended his stay. Had he stayed fit, i believe he would've remained at the club and now be a Leeds player.
Seathrun66
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Seathrun66 »

corkleedsmot wrote:
Seathrun66 wrote:
corkleedsmot wrote:If it said only when we are promoted then i knew we would def lose any case going forward but the date makes it quite clear. Moral high ground in my view was lost when they tried to change the contract after the fact. An effort to make sure they caught Leeds out for a player they knew we wouldn't want. Moral high ground literally wont matter here anywhere it is quite clear. Leeds on June 30th were not promoted so not liable. It was RBL decision to not claim their player who is registered to them. Neither side is covered in glory here anyway. All situations played out to current contracts over covid. Players had to negotiate new deals etc. If they didn't there would now be thousands of cases and there hasn't been. It is my View that Messi would have lost too. The idea he didnt want to take Barca to court is nonsense.... he has already taken Barca to court. He knew he would lose.
What exactly have RBL done wrong? Nothing I can see. If this was another English club we'd have paid up already and tried to cut our losses by selling Augustin on at a reduced price.

When did Messi take Barcelona to court? No record I can find. He's aware that even with a legal victory it would spoil his peerless legacy with the club.

And it's not moral high ground in this instance, it's clear legal interpretation for which we are in the wrong. And very clearly so.
Right and wrong do not come into it. It is a contract. The criteria were not met so we are not liable.

It has nothing to do with English or German. Talk to any lawyer besides RBL's and they will tell you the exact same thing.

It is the EXACT equivalent of RBL asking Leeds for 18 million if we were promoted the year after. They would be told to get stuffed then and rightly so.

The termination date is all that will matter which in this case was 30th of June.

Everybody else followed these rules and knew they had to renegotiate deals if they wanted. Leeds didn't want to. FIFA gave no directive which basically means they are saying contract dates too. (if they did otherwise the football world would have melted)

Ryan Fraser rejected a contract and refused to play with 3 months left. Berardi went the other way(here is where spirit of the game matters from a Leeds perspective). You need all parties to agree a contract. in this case you only had one.

I think you are not reading in between the lines. RBL are just gambling here. They want Augustin off their books either way as he is on 4.5 mill a year there. They should have taken their player back and sold him as you said but they dumped him to get out of his wages because Nantes would not be able to afford the deal for Augustin with a transfer fee and the player wouldn't leave if his deal wasn't solid leaving them liable for 18 mill over 4 years.

They will be cold and calculated about this and they are already prepared to lose. The morality nonsense to the press is just for show and believing multinational drinks corporations have souls is well... suboptimal thinking over time. That is not to say they won't be very angry. Bayern already lied to the press this week about Cuisance when suddenly sending him to France giving them 100% better terms. These are no angels and they are 100% trying to squeeze money out of English clubs who are rolling in TV money.

Leeds paid the staff with no redundancies, took care of Berardi to the best of my knowledge, kept Bielsa sweet and got us promoted after 16 years and then spent big on players.

Spirit of the game
Right and wrong is significant but over-ridden by strict legal criteria. You've misunderstood some stuff.

1. You are taking the contract literally. If all contracts were set in stone there'd be no need for contract lawyers or litigation. Plenty of them and they make a lot of cash on issues like this. The pertinent matter will be promotion, rather than the date, and the spirit of the contract is what the court will examine.

2. The case will not be held under the jurisdiction of England and Wales but according to Swiss law due to the presence of FIFA headquarters there. Swiss (and German) law will use a supplementary interpretation of an agreement. They will base it on an extension of the season being included in the contract were the teams aware of it at the time of the contract. Force majeure will not apply in this case. Nor would it under English or Welsh law. Leeds have unilaterally broken the contract.

3. You may feel that Leeds shouldn't pay out. But pay out we will. We made an error, signed a player who didn't perform and that's not the fault of RBL.

You said RBL had done things wrong. What did you mean? I've no idea whether they're a decent or a dodgy club but I see nothing wrong in the way they've behaved.

You said that Augustin was on £4.5m but Football Insider have his wages at £35k per week which is £1.82m. What's the source for £4.5m?

You said Messi had already taken Barcelona to court. When?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I've kept out of the JKA debate because I really don't know the law as its unprecedented situation.

I can see both sides and am 50/50 how a court case will go, everyone here is making decent points.

One thing niggles me though -
If Leeds lose the court case and ordered to pay the full amount as previously agreed does JKA become a Leeds player again ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Leonickroberts

Post by Leonickroberts »

Selby White wrote:I've kept out of the JKA debate because I really don't know the law as its unprecedented situation.

I can see both sides and am 50/50 how a court case will go, everyone here is making decent points.

If Leeds lose the court case and ordered to pay the full amount as previously agreed does JKA become a Leeds player again ?
I've also kept out of it as it's pretty tedious (none of the pay-off of an exciting signing at the end, so no longer really a squad discussion or a transfer rumour), but can see both sides of it. People should at the very least imagine it the other way round and that RB Leipzig had committed to give us £18m for a player and we'd ended up with neither the player nor the money. I'm sure people wouldn't be saying it was fair enough to not pay if that were the case. I'm hoping Leeds make a goodwill offer to pay half the fee and be done with it (although given Leipzig's owners I don't think they need the money as badly as other clubs might have done).

In response to your point Selby, JKA is now under contract with Nantes, having had a period of being out-of-contract entirely, so I don't think we would have any right to try to bring him back even if we did want to.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Seathrun66
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Seathrun66 »

Selby White wrote:I've kept out of the JKA debate because I really don't know the law as its unprecedented situation.

Unable to answer that. FIFA were the ones who made Augustin a free agent because of the uncertainty. At best guess I assume he'll remain a Nantes player as they signed him on the understanding he was a free agent. If FIFA make an award to RBL then they'll likely take into account the loss Leeds have incurred in not being able to sell him on.

Unsure when FIFA will agree to hear this and when it will be resolved but it will surely affect any January deals. We can't shell out £10m-£15m knowing we need to keep it in reserve for court payments.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Sam Greenwood named Premier League 2 player of the month, the £3M we paid for him could be a snip in a year or two.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leonickroberts

Post by Leonickroberts »

Sounds like we've made our interest in Louie Sibley at Derby known to the club. I'd be chuffed with him - looked a real talent last season.

This is the list of Championship players I posted on here back at the start of the window. A few have gone but most are still at their clubs. Looking at the list again in light of our having signed 5 international-quality players, I'd drop quite a few more off the list, but there are definitely still a few I'd like to see in a Leeds shirt.

Bournemouth: I'd also love to take Lewis Cook back - again, imagine what Bielsa could do with him (although he's a hybrid of all Pablo, Klich and Phillips, rather than a direct replacement for any one of them in particular). If they do go down, they'll be stripped - we could do worse than Lloyd Kelly as a long-term LB, Josh King as an inside forward, and dare I dream, David Brooks or Nathan Aké (almost certainly going to top 6 clubs).
Norwich: Very short on quality I'd be willing to spend money on, but Emi Buendia looks a perfect Pablo replacement.
Watford: Plenty of decent players I'd happily take from Watford - Hughes, Sarr, Quina, Pereyra, Penaranda. Gray and Deeney might not be fashionable, but I reckon both would be great signings.
QPR: Eze and Ilias Chair (who's been brilliant all season and is perhaps more of a Pablo-esque player than Eze).
Brentford: BMW, obviously. Josh Dasilva has also been great, but with Phillips and Struijk DCM isn't a priority.
Derby: Louie Sibley - maybe too young to immediately replace Pablo but similar composure and eye for a defence-splitting pass. Would like Max Bird but as above not needed. Also still think Krystian Bielik is a player that Bielsa could turn into a top CB.
Bristol City: Liam Walsh (fantastic season on loan at Coventry) and Semenyo maybe (although he went off the boil after looking v promising), and also maybe Jay Dasilva at LB. Have also been impressed with Filip Benkovic for them, but not sure he's got the ball-playing ability for Bielsa.
Huddersfield: Karlan Grant and perhaps Emile Smith-Rowe.
Swansea: Matt Grimes anyone? (joke...)
Reading: Michael Olise looks a real talent. John Swift might work (Shef Utd after him) but is v lightweight and terrible coming in from out wide so couldn't do what Pablo does.
Poor Wigan: Joe Gelhardt (we've been linked with him lots). Also a young lad called Tom Pearce who played for them this season ;)
Barnsley: Connor Chaplin perhaps (although probably not the striker we need).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

There has been talk of Douglas leaving and people on here backing it including myself. However, Dallas is our current LB and he has played a lot of minutes over these internationals. I think we should keep Douglas as backup until we get a loan or championship LB in for cover. Dallas will need a rest and I don't like Alioski at LB.