2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby new signing » 20 Jul 2020, 00:49

I actually quite like the idea of shopping in the championship for the cream of the crop in up coming players.

I thought Styles for Barnsley was quality
new signing
Brian McDermott's optician
 
Posts: 253
Joined: 21 Apr 2015, 06:05

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Pykie » 20 Jul 2020, 01:41

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
SiMamu wrote:I think Dayot Upamecano is definitely outside of our price and pulling range. If he leaves Leipzig, it'll be to a traditional big club, and not one that has just been promoted; regardless of our history.

I agree with Aqua's comment on Bamford. He strikes me as someone who would be a good linkup striker, to a goal scoring wide forward - like Benzema with Ronaldo.


This is why I'd love to see Ollie Watkins in a Leeds shirt. In fact I'd love to see a list of players we could raid from the Championship - for me it'd be a selection of Eze and Chair from QPR, Grant from 'Udders, any/all of BMW, and maybe Louie Sibley from Derby. I know we're unlikely to go after any of these but imagine what Bielsa could do with them...


Hated it when it happened to us but the relegated sides will lose their better players. I'm kind of hoping we go in for Lewis Cook (even if somehow B'mouth survive), while Watford have some good players as well as Villa. Not really sure about Norwich!

And I totally agree with you Leo about Watkins and Eze. I'd even go for Jansson if he's matured. :lol:



Of the likely relegated sides, the following would interest me.

Cook
Brooks
Sarr
Doucoure
Aarons
Buendia

Most of these wouldn't be cheap though.

We need some more center mids, Struijk looks good enough as a Phillips backup next year imo.

Pablo is 35 and Klich also 30+. We need a genuine playmaker.

Cook could be a legit option. Probably only likely to cost 10-15m also imo.

The Coatian we've been linked to looks basically perfect.


Signing a combo of Benrahma and Sarr would transform our forward half. Probably wouldn't cost much more than some of the mooted White fee's being bandied about.
Pykie
Terry Venables's car dealer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: 20 Jul 2020, 01:31

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Leonickroberts » 20 Jul 2020, 09:19

Pykie wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
Leonickroberts wrote:
SiMamu wrote:I think Dayot Upamecano is definitely outside of our price and pulling range. If he leaves Leipzig, it'll be to a traditional big club, and not one that has just been promoted; regardless of our history.

I agree with Aqua's comment on Bamford. He strikes me as someone who would be a good linkup striker, to a goal scoring wide forward - like Benzema with Ronaldo.


This is why I'd love to see Ollie Watkins in a Leeds shirt. In fact I'd love to see a list of players we could raid from the Championship - for me it'd be a selection of Eze and Chair from QPR, Grant from 'Udders, any/all of BMW, and maybe Louie Sibley from Derby. I know we're unlikely to go after any of these but imagine what Bielsa could do with them...


Hated it when it happened to us but the relegated sides will lose their better players. I'm kind of hoping we go in for Lewis Cook (even if somehow B'mouth survive), while Watford have some good players as well as Villa. Not really sure about Norwich!

And I totally agree with you Leo about Watkins and Eze. I'd even go for Jansson if he's matured. :lol:



Of the likely relegated sides, the following would interest me.

Cook
Brooks
Sarr
Doucoure
Aarons
Buendia

Most of these wouldn't be cheap though.

We need some more center mids, Struijk looks good enough as a Phillips backup next year imo.

Pablo is 35 and Klich also 30+. We need a genuine playmaker.

Cook could be a legit option. Probably only likely to cost 10-15m also imo.

The Coatian we've been linked to looks basically perfect.


Signing a combo of Benrahma and Sarr would transform our forward half. Probably wouldn't cost much more than some of the mooted White fee's being bandied about.


I hear you ANS - slightly surreal being on the other side of the table isn't it, knowing that we're more likely to be the raider than the victim. Even though we all know we won't be making many signings, I'm excited about a transfer window for the first time in ages!

Good list Pykie - had drafted the following before I saw your post but similar names.

From Bournemouth, I'd also love to take Lewis Cook back - again, imagine what Bielsa could do with him (although he's a hybrid of all Pablo, Klich and Phillips, rather than a direct replacement for any one of them in particular). If they do go down, they'll be stripped - we could do worse than Lloyd Kelly as a long-term LB, Josh King as an inside forward, and dare I dream, David Brooks or Nathan Aké (almost certainly going to top 6 clubs).

Norwich are very short on quality I'd be willing to spend money on, but Emi Buendia looks a neat Pablo replacement.

As you say, also plenty of decent players I'd happily take from Watford - Hughes, Sarr, Quina, Pereyra, Penaranda. Gray and Deeney might not be fashionable, but I reckon both would be great signings.

For some Villa reason I can see Villa holding onto most of their (pretty underwhelming) squad, even if they do go down. We could do worse than Konsa if White ends up elsewhere (his positioning has always been suspect but I reckon Bielsa could do a Liam Cooper on him), but otherwise I can't see many players I'd like from Villa.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
User avatar
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 08:16

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby rigger » 20 Jul 2020, 12:17

I think most of our signings - and I expect eight to ten, knowing Orta - will be low-cost punts on European talent even the most dedicated Football Manager players would struggle to recognise.

I would suspect he'd be looking at ageing quality pro's (with the right attitude for Bielsa) who are free agents in the summer.
We need to strengthen that spine so I'd expect experience to come in at GK, DC, MC and possibly even up front, though pace and finishing would be my top priority there.
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14877
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby rigger » 20 Jul 2020, 12:20

Bielsa's the key to all this.
It might be that someone like Jan Vertonghen fancies a season or two under him before retiring ?
I wonder if there's anyone from his recent clubs (Bilbao, Marseilles, LOSC) who appreciated him enough to want to work with him again ?
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14877
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Davycc » 20 Jul 2020, 12:24

rigger wrote:Bielsa's the key to all this.
It might be that someone like Jan Vertonghen fancies a season or two under him before retiring ?
I wonder if there's anyone from his recent clubs (Bilbao, Marseilles, LOSC) who appreciated him enough to want to work with him again ?


A certain Messi apparently stated that he would have loved to play under Bielsa.......... :wtf: :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11970
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Leonickroberts » 20 Jul 2020, 12:26

rigger wrote:I think most of our signings - and I expect eight to ten, knowing Orta - will be low-cost punts on European talent even the most dedicated Football Manager players would struggle to recognise.

I would suspect he'd be looking at ageing quality pro's (with the right attitude for Bielsa) who are free agents in the summer.
We need to strengthen that spine so I'd expect experience to come in at GK, DC, MC and possibly even up front, though pace and finishing would be my top priority there.


I'm intrigued to see whether you're right about another big influx of foreign unknowns Rigger - it seems like after an initial flurry on that vein Orta has been more careful, and although I suspect you're right that we'll get lots of unknown new faces in the U23s, we're unlikely to see many first team signings.

There are three obvious massive variables that will impact on how we do our business - JKA, Ben White and Bielsa. If we have to sign JKA and manage to land Ben White that'll be £45-50m before we even think about adding a GK and AM to the squad. I think you're right about a seasoned pro for GK (partly because they're generally cheaper anyway).

Am I the only person thinking that if JKA and Bielsa could make peace and JKA get a good pre-season under his belt then he could be the perfect foil to Bamford's hard-work-and-bad-finishing approach to attacking?
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
User avatar
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: 12 Jul 2011, 08:16

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Davycc » 20 Jul 2020, 12:28

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
User avatar
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 11970
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Under a thumb

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby Barlow Boy » 20 Jul 2020, 12:32

Personally, I can’t see Big Kev playing for us again. Bielsa has effectively pressed the reject button on that one and the club will have to back him on it, otherwise they are going against Bielsa. I know there are issues regarding the contractual obligations of the purchase, but I’d expect them to reach some sort of agreement on that one.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
User avatar
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 8970
Joined: 22 Jan 2012, 19:28
Location: Barlow, obviously.

Re: 2020-21 Transfer Rumours and Squad Discussions

Postby rigger » 20 Jul 2020, 13:05

Barlow Boy wrote:Personally, I can’t see Big Kev playing for us again.


What do you mean, again ??

:lolno:
User avatar
rigger
LUFCTALK Admin
 
Posts: 14877
Joined: 07 Oct 2010, 17:35

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aqua- and 14 guests