A note of caution and hope now the dust has settled ...

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

A note of caution and hope now the dust has settled ...

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The thing I'm most proud about with us going up at long, long last is the fact we did it organically.

We have a proper businessman in charge.
He employed an effective backroom team.
They employed an inspirational coach.
He knew what and who he wanted and cut the dead wood with a chainsaw.
We bought wisely.
We promoted from within.
We plugged gaps in key positions.
We burst from the traps last season but ultimately ran out of puff.
Everyone learned the lesson and this time round we got it right.

I don't want all that hard work to be blown out of the water by a third party just using us to market their brand, their nation, or for sportswashing nefarious activities. I want us to attract investment because we'll need it, but I don't want us - in short - to sell out and I don't want us beholden to someone shady looking to hide their dodgy practises behind our good name.

I would rather have to go up and down a la Burnley before establishing ourselves in the EPL than to become the plaything of an oligarch or arab princeling.

Let's keep it real.
That's the best part about all this for me : Bielsa, his methods, the team behind him, the vision of Orta and AR and the blood, sweat and tears of our ever-improving squad of players, with everyone working together as a team.

Side before self, after all ...
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: A note of caution and hope now the dust has settled ...

Post by DominanceUK »

Did we buy wisely? Imo, no we didn't. I'm not a fan of VO, however, getting MB has proved a masterstroke which kind of makes me an hypocrite! As a club, everything was there, it was a jigsaw, we just needed someone to put the pieces together, step forward MB. Would any other coach have achieved this with Leeds, I very much doubt it. If I could give MB a knighthood, I would! A great post btw, got me thinking what could have been...
Last edited by DominanceUK on 18 Jul 2020, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

DominanceUK wrote:Did we buy wisely? Imo, no we didn't. I'm not a fan of VO, however, getting MB has proved a masterstroke which kind of makes me an hypocrite! As a club, everything was there, it was a jigsaw, we just needed someone to put the pieces together, step forward MB. Would any other coach have achieved this with Leeds, I very much doubt it. If I could MB a knighthood, I would! A great post btw, got me thinking what could have been...
I am in this boat. The jury remains out for me on Victor Orta. Strikes me that Andrea Radrizanni seems to have something of a blind spot as to VO whose job in the last couple of years has hardly been stressful considering the low demands that MB makes.

And then we rely on VO to bring in decent players......
Keep The Faith / WAL
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:The thing I'm most proud about with us going up at long, long last is the fact we did it organically.

We have a proper businessman in charge.
He employed an effective backroom team.
They employed an inspirational coach.
He knew what and who he wanted and cut the dead wood with a chainsaw.
We bought wisely.
We promoted from within.
We plugged gaps in key positions.
We burst from the traps last season but ultimately ran out of puff.
Everyone learned the lesson and this time round we got it right.

I don't want all that hard work to be blown out of the water by a third party just using us to market their brand, their nation, or for sportswashing nefarious activities. I want us to attract investment because we'll need it, but I don't want us - in short - to sell out and I don't want us beholden to someone shady looking to hide their dodgy practises behind our good name.

I would rather have to go up and down a la Burnley before establishing ourselves in the EPL than to become the plaything of an oligarch or arab princeling.

Let's keep it real.
That's the best part about all this for me : Bielsa, his methods, the team behind him, the vision of Orta and AR and the blood, sweat and tears of our ever-improving squad of players, with everyone working together as a team.

Side before self, after all ...
Completely agree with you, rigger. Don't want this to mark the end of the rag tag trio of Radrizanni, Orta, and Kinnear.

In terms of buying wisely: surely Klich, Alioski, Forshaw, Roberts Douglas, Bamford, Harrison, Costa, White, and Meslier have to be considered good signings, as they were all important parts of this promotion winning squad; obviously to various different degrees. Even Casilla too, to an extent.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."