Premier League Expectations

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

What are your expectations for the first season back in the Premier League?

Poll ended at 11 Sep 2020, 13:28

Low-table but not relegated
25%
Mid-table
63%
EL places
8%
CL places
1%
Champions
No votes
I don't care as long as we have a hell of a ride on Bielsaball
3%

Total votes: 72

Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Premier League Expectations

Post by Metro1962 »

I think this depends on the first half of the fixture list when it comes out.

Head says mid table

Heart says in the top 10. :thumbup:
Oldfox
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: Premier League Expectation

Post by Oldfox »

I voted mid table, I think if Bielsa stays a lower top 10 position is attainable. If Bielsa goes I would settle for 17th.
Scott
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Scott »

All depends on squad depth for me. I think with our starting 11, we've a good chance against most teams in the PL. But if injuries start to creep in, we might struggle a little down the stretch. The next few weeks is huge. If we add a bit of depth, we could comfortably finish mid table. If we don't, I think we'll come in a bit lower, but without ever being in any real danger of relegation.
mshnd06
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by mshnd06 »

With Bielsa and a decent transfer window I think we could finish 9th
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

"we're not dicking around with the bottom of the league!" to paraphrase AK
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

I want to revive this thread since i see a lot of people saying they expect mid table or higher in the upcoming season.

Dont get me wrong - I am also excited about the path/direction the club is taking, and i am more than delighted with the staff.
Our 2 signings so far seems class and exactly in the positions we need.
The players we are linked with and the ones we are bidding for are of very high quality.
I am glad that fans are finally optimistic.

HOWEVER...
I hope that when thing go rough (and they will) and when we lose 3-4 games in a row (it's not that unlikely) the supporters are not gonna turn on the squad just because they have too high expectations.
Personally i think we can get as high as sheffield this season, but everything has to go flowlessly for that to happen.
We will lose games against the top 6 teams - pool, city, scum1 (man u), scum2 (Chelsea), arsenal & spurs.
We will lose games that we are most definitely deserve to win (my guess boring boring Burnley).
We will steal some points against some tough opponents.
But in the end i think our realistic expectation should be no lower than 16th place.
It's not the "now or never" mentality we adapt in the lower leagues that should drive us, but "from now on" mentality.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

I voted mid table. With the quality of our transfers to date, and who we are talking to, I think we’ll have enough quality and depth this year. The challenge is to get the new signings up to speed and getting everything and everyone to gel as quickly as possible.

John is right, scoring will remain the challenge. We will need goals from everywhere for this to work as we will struggle to have any one player scoring more than 10 or 12 in this league. I’d be optimistic that our new additions in defence will score more from set pieces and the likes of Rodrigo and De Paul(hopefully) will also add more. Bamford may also just cut loose and finally do what he can do on a regular basis. Sorted then :thumbup: !
etrangier
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by etrangier »

White Knight wrote:I voted mid table. With the quality of our transfers to date, and who we are talking to, I think we’ll have enough quality and depth this year. The challenge is to get the new signings up to speed and getting everything and everyone to gel as quickly as possible.

John is right, scoring will remain the challenge. We will need goals from everywhere for this to work as we will struggle to have any one player scoring more than 10 or 12 in this league. I’d be optimistic that our new additions in defence will score more from set pieces and the likes of Rodrigo and De Paul(hopefully) will also add more. Bamford may also just cut loose and finally do what he can do on a regular basis. Sorted then :thumbup: !
Indeed, Leeds still has one of the lowest market values of the league (19th), according to transfermarkt, and also has the youngest squad (with its pros and cons). In my opinnion, there are great prospective who invite to be really optimistic about the future, but the Premier is really hard to any just promoted team. Just remember Leicester their first season after the promotion.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Otherworld wrote:We’ll finish 4th, then win it in ‘22.
I see no reason to change my original prediction! :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Otherworld wrote:
Otherworld wrote:We’ll finish 4th, then win it in ‘22.
I see no reason to change my original prediction! :thumbup:
:thumbup: :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.