Premier League Expectations

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

What are your expectations for the first season back in the Premier League?

Poll ended at 11 Sep 2020, 13:28

Low-table but not relegated
25%
Mid-table
63%
EL places
8%
CL places
1%
Champions
No votes
I don't care as long as we have a hell of a ride on Bielsaball
3%

Total votes: 72

Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: Premier League Expectations

Post by Otherworld »

We’ll finish 4th, then win it in ‘22.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I'm going with the main flow. Mid table finish. An element of fear rising in teams due to face us. Consolidation season for me but at the back of my mind is the possibility of change of ownership which, if it happens, might be the making or the breaking of us.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 4352

Post by Deleted User 4352 »

If they end up between number 9 and 14 i will be pleased, and view it as a good season.

Its the first season back in the PL, and i want to have a realistic exception. Of course i do hope that they will do better than my expectations.
etrangier
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by etrangier »

The most hard part in Premier is keep on the regularity along the season. To me, this squad could be easily make a big surprise the first 5 up to 8 matches. Nevertheless, as long as the season demand more physical effort, the teams that keep the performance are the ones provided with well covered each position. We saw the Norwich case, defeating Manchester City on start and then decreasing deeply its level until the shame they became. So, it's important keep the base, the soul of the squad, and look for the best cover for every area.

As an another fan said, actually this team is for a 11-15th position. Not bad at all for a promoted team. This Premier will be very competitive. Just look all what is Chelsea spending.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

etrangier wrote:The most hard part in Premier is keep on the regularity along the season. To me, this squad could be easily make a big surprise the first 5 up to 8 matches. Nevertheless, as long as the season demand more physical effort, the teams that keep the performance are the ones provided with well covered each position. We saw the Norwich case, defeating Manchester City on start and then decreasing deeply its level until the shame they became. So, it's important keep the base, the soul of the squad, and look for the best cover for every area.

As an another fan said, actually this team is for a 11-15th position. Not bad at all for a promoted team. This Premier will be very competitive. Just look all what is Chelsea spending.
Not sure it will be physically harder. Yes some games you could argue will be but the way MB has us playing I can't see it as believe he gets the maximum out of everyone. In fact it will be easier because there are 8 less matches so longer recovery periods in between.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Whilst a mid-table finish might be quite satisfying, I do believe we are underselling ourselves somewhat, and that the combination of Marcelo's match winning mentality, and the abilities of many of the squad, which more than the equal of those of existing Premiership teams, will shock a few of them, and maybe us fans too.

Yes, I'm a "glass half full" sort of person, but I can see us comfortably above mid table.

M.O.T.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

I chose first option - low table.
I expect us just not to relegate as first season is tough and everybody has to get used to the fact that one day they play a side like norwich and the next city/liverpool. The differences in this league is way greater than championship.

Like selby i think we worth somewhere between 11-15. We saw that when teams (like arsenal on FA cup) are not prepared to our style of play we can give them hell.

Any position in top half will be massive success in my standards, but one season isnt enough. first few seasons should be about stabilizing the club in that level, sorting ourselves financially, and become an attractive side for top players. Bournmouth, whom i really adore (mainly thanks to eddie howe), with its 5(?) seasons im PL never became attractive to players, probably due to financial reasons as well, but mainly because they have a small club mentality.

IMO just get bielsa to stay for years and we will be more than fine.
CorkWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CorkWhite »

Upper mid table for me or about 8th to be exact. I think if we can add a good goal scorer and keep White or get an equally as good player of his ilk we could reach higher. We were by far the best team in the Championship this season and yes although we had some slip ups a long the way we dominated teams in the majority of the games and only failed to get more points due to a lack of goals being converted. Our team is now a well oiled team and being in the Premiership I believe our players will not feel so overawed by it the first season and actually acclimatize well. So long as we do add a few good players I believe we can achieve anything. My point here is that the Premiership has only got about 5-6 very good quality sides in it and its been that way for the past few years, the whole concept of the Premiership teams thrashing us doesn't fit the bill as were not a walk over in defense anymore. we fight for the ball and work hard to get it forward.

BELIEVE IN BIG TO BE BIG.... MOT (its what my wife insinuates :lol: )
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

I think we could get a European spot, half the teams in the PL aren't much cop imo.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

CorkWhite wrote:Upper mid table for me or about 8th to be exact. I think if we can add a good goal scorer and keep White or get an equally as good player of his ilk we could reach higher. We were by far the best team in the Championship this season and yes although we had some slip ups a long the way we dominated teams in the majority of the games and only failed to get more points due to a lack of goals being converted. Our team is now a well oiled team and being in the Premiership I believe our players will not feel so overawed by it the first season and actually acclimatize well. So long as we do add a few good players I believe we can achieve anything. My point here is that the Premiership has only got about 5-6 very good quality sides in it and its been that way for the past few years, the whole concept of the Premiership teams thrashing us doesn't fit the bill as were not a walk over in defense anymore. we fight for the ball and work hard to get it forward.

BELIEVE IN BIG TO BE BIG.... MOT (its what my wife insinuates :lol: )
A large percentage of our goals come from mid-field and defenders. I'm not sure we can rely on this in the Premiership. We do need some forwards who can contribute more.
I once played against Don Revie.