Unsung Heroes

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Unsung Heroes

Post by Selby White »

During your time watching Leeds who are the players you think should be classed "Unsung Heroes".

The squad player who maybe come in and did a vital job when needed but doesn't always get a mention.

I'll start us off with one of the Revie Men :-

I'll nominate MICK BATES

A cracking player in his own right and was stayed with us right through the glory years (1962 to 1976) only playing 187 times when he could have moved and built a good career elsewhere.
Was never going to be easy to get a game when the men you where cover for were Billy Bremner & Johnny Giles.
When he was called into action Mick didn't let us down.

So who is your unsung hero ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Unsung Heroes

Post by PhoenixUnited »

In the Revie era there was Terry Yorath. There was a bit of a groan when his name appeared on the team sheet but only because you knew that one of the Star players was out.

However, he came in and gave it 100% in the full knowledge that he'd be sidelined again as soon as the player he had replaced was fit again. Never complained. Just got on with it. A true team player. Stuck it out for the duration

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I'll second the nomination of Mick Bates for unsung hero.
Would have been an automatic starter with any other club at that time.
I forget what year,there was interest from Don Revie in buying a young Mike Channon from Southhampton. Channon, regular England international striker, I would compare him with Vardy these days.
Southampton said only way they would let Channon go is that Mick Bates exchange had to be part of the deal. Revie says no way Mick was leaving Elland Road.
You have to remember in those days Southampton under Laurie Mcmennemy were a top 6/7 finisher several seasons in a row, not many foreign players in the league and players like Keegan, Channon, Brooking were superstars.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I honestly don’t think Bobby Collins gets the plaudits he deserves. He was an integral part of the Revie era starting up, yet he rarely gets a proper mention in dispatches. Thanks Bobby you Sir are a Leeds United Legend.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I was so pleased to hear that Stuart Dallas was awarded the Player's Player of the Year award.

He is now no longer an unsung hero.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Andy Hughes
Carl Shutt (till that goal)

How about Ray Wallace for keeping his brother company ?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:Andy Hughes
Carl Shutt (till that goal)

How about Ray Wallace for keeping his brother company ?
Carl Shutt is a great call :thumbup:

Andy Hughes I would describe as cult hero rather than unsung.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 10260

Post by Deleted User 10260 »

How about Steve Hodge from Howard's title winning season.
We had a great midfield so he was never first choice and never gets mentioned.
Scored 7 very important goals in only 23 appearances which is a good return for a midfielder.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I honestly don’t think Bobby Collins gets the plaudits he deserves. He was an integral part of the Revie era starting up, yet he rarely gets a proper mention in dispatches. Thanks Bobby you Sir are a Leeds United Legend.
The main reason Johnny Giles signed. When asked why did he drop a division to join us, he said "If it's good enough for Bobby Collins, it's good enough for me". He really admired Bobby in his Everton days.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

Paul Reaney.