What's wrong with this picture ??

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

What's wrong with this picture ??

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Celtic v Leeds, 1970.
There's something rum about the photo above - can you tell what it is ??
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: What's wrong with this picture ??

Post by Sovietmule »

Is that Gary Sprake (behind Billy Bremner) sporting what looks like an Italian national badge on his top?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Sovietmule wrote:Is that Gary Sprake (behind Billy Bremner) sporting what looks like an Italian national badge on his top?
beat me too it... maybe not it though
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Well done. It is indeed.
There was an article in this month's When Saturday Comes about the number of times goalies wore odd or just plain wrong shirts.
Without the internet or big sponsorship deals, nobody cared or even noticed and it was a good piece, featuring Alan Rough wearing a Wales shirt during an official Partick squad photograph among other tales.

The shot above amazed me, though. Apparently Sprake had swapped shirts with his opposite number - one Dino Zoff ! - when Wales played Italy earlier the same season and he had the grey jersey in his bag and he chose to wear it rather than David Harvey's blue one when asked to switch his customary green strip by the match officials to avoid a clash with the shirts Celtic.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Good story that, just picking whichever top you fancy. Wouldn't happen now would it?

As an aside, the pic of Billy McNeill reminded of something. When I was a nipper, Tommy Gemmell's sister and her family (I knew two of her lads) lived around the corner from us. One day, while we were having a match on what seemed to be a massive field (but was actually a tiny patch of grass in the street) a man came out and had a kick-about with us. The lads later told us it was their Uncle Tommy. I knew who Tommy Gemmell was then so it must have been some time after '67, I'd guess very early '70's.

Also, Matt Busby's sister and her family (I knew her lad too) lived a five minute walk away. Apparently he was there semi-regularly but I never saw him. And he never came out for a kick-about.

So ... old pics and memories eh.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Love things like that about football years ago, goalkeepers scoring, outfield players going in goal, Old fashioned testimonials.... when I was a kid I think i only saw Johnny Giles play once & that was at Peter Lorimers testimonial a couple of years after he left us & he was brilliant .....anyway i'm waffling :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm sure David Harvey played for Leeds in a Scotland goalkeeping jersey in the late 70's.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Sovietmule wrote:Is that Gary Sprake (behind Billy Bremner) sporting what looks like an Italian national badge on his top?
We looking at the same photo? All I can see is the top of Gary Sprake's head! :wtf: :D
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

PhoenixUnited wrote:
We looking at the same photo? All I can see is the top of Gary Sprake's head! :wtf: :D
You might need to open the picture in another tab as your screen res is probably not wide enough to show the badge in that case.
Right click on the photo and select "Open in new tab" :)
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Mr Russell wrote:I'm sure David Harvey played for Leeds in a Scotland goalkeeping jersey in the late 70's.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.