The futures Bright, the futures White

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The futures Bright, the futures White

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The following first team squad players are 21 or under. Personally I find this very exciting. Alright some will fall by the wayside but others are going to be regular first team players. The academy keeps bringing youngsters through plus Orta is bringing in talented youth. Geldhardt is reported as a special talent & a player who I believe will make his debut next season but it’s Ian Poveda who really excites me.

Ilan Meslier - 20
Ian Poveda - 20
Tyler Roberts - 21
Joe Gelhardt - 18
Olive Casey - 19
Jordan Stevens - 20
Jamie Shackleton - 21
Liam McCaron - 19
Mateus Bogusz - 19
Leif Davies - 21
Alfie McCalmot - 20
Robbie Gotts - 21
Pascal Struijk - 21
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The futures White, the futures Bright

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... y-18760737

Leeds United have picked up one of England's best young strikers from Wigan Athletic

Joe Gelhardt once scored five goals in one match at Manchester United and his manager took him off early because he was worried he’d have been sold before full-time. The striker also stuck 10 past Huddersfield Town in one game before Wigan Athletic’s head of academy recruitment took the 14-year-old’s boots home, signed, to be framed in a glass case forever. He’s going to be just fine at Leeds United.

The Whites have picked up one of England’s best young strikers and if he is managed correctly, he could go on to become one of Victor Orta’s greatest acquisitions. Gregor Rioch, Wigan’s academy director, tells LeedsLive exactly what United may have on their hands moving forward. “He’s one of the best centre forwards in the country without a doubt,” he said. “With the clubs that have been keeping an eye on him since the age of 12, 13, it’s not only domestic clubs, but international clubs that have been watching over several years.

“Some of the top clubs in the world have been keeping tabs and a track on him.” Rioch said he would regularly have recruitment chiefs from some of the world’s biggest clubs collaring him after England youth internationals, asking questions and checking on availability. “You see the slightly different way of playing for left footers. They always take the eye,” he said.

“He’s got that first touch, which is of Premier League level. With young players, I always look at how they receive the ball and how they release the ball.
“He has the highest level of that. His first touch, it sticks to him like glue and when he’s travelling with the ball he’s very explosive, he’s a dribbler, he likes to take people on and explode passed them. “He scores all types of different goals.” Back to that match at the Red Devils’ training ground. As a 14-year-old, Gelhardt lobbed the goalkeeper from more than 25 yards not once, but twice. He is more than just a centre forward. Rioch says the teen loves the ball and would ideally play as a deeper-lying forward whose prepared to drop deeper to pick it up, rather than be someone running beyond the last defender. Rioch, a retired player himself, has worked with youths at Manchester City and Coventry City in the past.

There are two well-known names he thinks of when he considers the talent in Gelhardt’s boots and what’s ahead of him. “You want a player or two who people are going to be prepared to pay their money to watch, those who are going to get bums off seats,” he said. “If you’ve got a player or two that can do that then you’re onto a winner. I would say I’d pay any price to watch him because I know he’s going to give me something to get excited about.
“I’ve coached the likes of [Daniel] Sturridge at a young age when we were at Man City. I worked with the likes of James Maddison when I was at Coventry and Joe Gelhardt falls into that same category.” Born and bred in Liverpool, the talented, powerful, stocky forward has drawn comparisons with one of the city’s greatest footballers, Wayne Rooney.

Rioch understands why the comparison is made, but stresses there is much more to the youngster than that. He is a player who wants to write his own story. He said: “It’s a difficult one because we’re always thinking ‘who does he remind us of?’ “The natural, thick-set, stocky, strong, powerful individual makes you say (Rooney), he’s a scouser as well, he’s different, you could almost call him a maverick. “He can do something you didn’t expect to happen on the pitch. I can see where the resemblance occurs, but, as coaches will always say, be the first and only Joe Gelhardt.” Gelhardt needs games now, regardless of the hype and excitement around him, according to Rioch. The youth has been managed carefully at DW Stadium, where he has been too good for the under-18s and under-23s, but kept out of the first team by Paul Cook.

After a mesmerising display from the bench in February, Cook felt the pressure coming from the stands to start the young prodigy. "I think all Wigan fans probably want him to start, and the hard thing for me as a manager is trying to protect the young man - as good as he is," he said. "Eventually he must come off that leash to start and, looking at today's performance, we will digest everything and pick a team for Tuesday." He added: "I don't really want to speak too much about him after the game, because I think it's unfair on a young lad to have to shoulder too much, too soon. "He's only 17, he's a fantastic talent who makes things happen on a football pitch. His time is coming, that's for sure." There were two starts and 17 appearances from the bench for Gelhardt last term, so he needs more minutes now whether that’s with Marcelo Bielsa in the first team, with the under-23s or out on loan elsewhere.

Don’t expect him to rock the boat, though. Rioch says United have got more than just an excellent footballer on their hands. He says Gelhardt is a wonderful human being, someone with no airs or graces, someone who is happy to visit schools and contribute to the club’s work in the community. He sounds like Bielsa’s dream.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The futures Bright, the futures White

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Thanks for posting the article about young Joe.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Charlie Casey involved with the senior squad this morning aged 18.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:The following first team squad players are 21 or under. Personally I find this very exciting. Alright some will fall by the wayside but others are going to be regular first team players. The academy keeps bringing youngsters through plus Orta is bringing in talented youth. Geldhardt is reported as a special talent & a player who I believe will make his debut next season but it’s Ian Poveda who really excites me.

Ilan Meslier - 20
Ian Poveda - 20
Tyler Roberts - 21
Joe Gelhardt - 18
Olive Casey - 19
Jordan Stevens - 20
Jamie Shackleton - 21
Liam McCaron - 19
Mateus Bogusz - 19
Leif Davies - 21
Alfie McCalmot - 20
Robbie Gotts - 21
Pascal Struijk - 21
Of this list based on what I have seen I would say Roberts, McCaron, Stevens, Davies and Gotts will fall by the way side. They have all played the odd game but never really stood out or made a big impression - did a good job but nothing special.
I haven't seen enough of McCalmont, Casey and Gelhardt (obviously) to judge yet.
I think Struijk, Meslier, Poveda, Shackleton and Bogusz have big futures ahead of them.

Based on what I have seen not what I have heard or read about them. Now if we got 5 good players out of that group that's a great return if one or two of the other three unknowns I mentioned comes good too then brilliant.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Now that we are in the EFL Trophy, we can field a strong U23 team.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Can also add Nohan Kenneh to this list - seems to be training with the first team and is very highly thought of.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’