Elland Road expansion

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Elland Road expansion

Post by kk white »

Angus Kinnear was on The Square Ball podcast yesterday. With the Parklife / Community sports hub now planned for the Matthew Murray site, there's more room for stadium expansion (I think I got that right?). He therefore confirmed that plans to re-develop ER now firmly include a 60k seat stadium, rather than 55k previously mentioned.

Still 2 years to turning the first sod, but they are looking at building over the existing West Stand in order to preserve capacity during works. Might even incorporate one of North or South Stands during same build.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

kk white wrote:Angus Kinnear was on The Square Ball podcast yesterday. With the Parklife / Community sports hub now planned for the Matthew Murray site, there's more room for stadium expansion (I think I got that right?). He therefore confirmed that plans to re-develop ER now firmly include a 60k seat stadium, rather than 55k previously mentioned.

Still 2 years to turning the first sod, but they are looking at building over the existing West Stand in order to preserve capacity during works. Might even incorporate one of North or South Stands during same build.
I heard something a while back about building a tier above the existing older stands, but not whether the lower (older) areas would subsequently be developed.

Did he mention anything about this?

Part of me understands the need to improve the stadium, but a big part would also like some areas preserved to keep the "old-style" match experience - and the memories.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

Kinnear said that the new upper tier would be built behind the existing stand which would allow fans to sit it their normal seat. The next season those fans would then move to the new upper tier while the lower level gets built. This seems to suggest that the old sections will not survive as they are now. Pretty sure that the West Stand will look a lot different as they would probably fill in the dugouts and put in a section of those flashy seats for the players and staff that most clubs have now.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

arfa wrote:Kinnear said that the new upper tier would be built behind the existing stand which would allow fans to sit it their normal seat. The next season those fans would then move to the new upper tier while the lower level gets built. This seems to suggest that the old sections will not survive as they are now. Pretty sure that the West Stand will look a lot different as they would probably fill in the dugouts and put in a section of those flashy seats for the players and staff that most clubs have now.
Only the east stand will remain, and that will be redeveloped. The rest will be completely removed.