Elland Road expansion

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Elland Road expansion

Post by Davycc »

Well as AK has recently raised the subject again what are your thoughts on the subject. Is 50,000 big enough/too big, how should they do it and what should be added if anything. They are talking about trying to limit the impact on attendance, pity things weren't further along a bit as now would be perfect.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Re: Elland Road expansion

Post by Deleted User 728 »

No need to even think about it yet or should there have been at any time in the last sixteen years.

It's enough to have control of our ground again.
Let's get things right on the pitch first.

Long-term, no reason why we can't have a 60k arena though ..
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I think we had another thread on this subject, or something similar anyway, but the general consensus seems to be another tier on the West Stand first. Obviously, fans in that area will have to be ‘re-housed’ during developments which will cause issues in itself.

I don’t see anything happening for a couple of years yet though, AR himself said we need to be fully established before we start spending massive money on developing the stadium.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

Do what Spurs did and start building a new stadium behind the old one. The current stadium is too small if second division matches were selling out.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

arfa wrote:Do what Spurs did and start building a new stadium behind the old one. The current stadium is too small if second division matches were selling out.
I don’t think too many fans would be keen on leaving our home ground for what would undoubtedly be an amazing facility if newly built. Inevitably it would be soulless and a financial millstone our our necks for decades to come. If Arsenal are struggling because of their new stadium you can imagine the problems for Leeds.

Just rebuild the West Stand. That will do for now.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We could only justify a 50k/60k ground if we were consistently a top 6 club. Otherwise we would be playing to a near half-empty stadium, albeit the same good gates we get now.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:We could only justify a 50k/60k ground if we were consistently a top 6 club. Otherwise we would be playing to a near half-empty stadium, albeit the same good gates we get now.
Not sure about that John I think gates have been rising over the last few years. Last season it was virtually impossible to get a ticket as games were an home sell out.
An increase of anything up to 10k extra seats could be justified in my view.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:We could only justify a 50k/60k ground if we were consistently a top 6 club. Otherwise we would be playing to a near half-empty stadium, albeit the same good gates we get now.
Not sure about that John I think gates have been rising over the last few years. Last season it was virtually impossible to get a ticket as games were an home sell out.
An increase of anything up to 10k extra seats could be justified in my view.
You have to remember the previous season we had just failed to get promoted through the play-offs and was seen as the promotion season. Bielsa's first season was split into two - pre December there were a few attendances around 26-27K, it was after when we were looking like promotion candidates.

If you take the second stint in the Championship, we averaged 27K in the promoted year, then it plummeted.

Future attendances will be very much linked on the performance of the team. Let's say we end up mid table, Bielsa goes, and we adopt the Bournemouth model of avoiding relegation each season we won't sustain enough to justify a 50K stadium.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
arfa
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by arfa »

There is a very good post on this page of a Skyscrapercity thread showing how the stadium has changed over the years - post #1396

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/ ... 83/page-70

a bit more further down and on the following page also