The first Leeds United, Leeds City etc

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Rob Grillo
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

The first Leeds United, Leeds City etc

Post by Rob Grillo »

The first ever Leeds United AFC, the birth of Leeds City AFC and every amateur league and cup competition in the city before the War are featured in this new book :) Castleford, Wakefield, Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Goole and Selby districts also covered. Hopefully it will appeal to some of those with an interest in Leeds football history (it follows the one I did on Bradford football last year)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noble-Winters- ... E2ZTWQMXGF
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The first Leeds United, Leeds City etc

Post by johnh »

Rob Grillo wrote:The first ever Leeds United AFC, the birth of Leeds City AFC and every amateur league and cup competition in the city before the War are featured in this new book :) Castleford, Wakefield, Halifax, Harrogate, Huddersfield, Goole and Selby districts also covered. Hopefully it will appeal to some of those with an interest in Leeds football history (it follows the one I did on Bradford football last year)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noble-Winters- ... E2ZTWQMXGF
Rob, I will get a copy of that. Did you pick up on the fact that when Leeds City wound up, the Elland Road ground lease was taken over by Yorkshire Amateur? Don't think 'Ammers' ever played a game on there though before selling the lease on to the newly formed Leeds United.
I once played against Don Revie.
Rob Grillo
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Re: The first Leeds United, Leeds City etc

Post by Rob Grillo »

Cheers. Yes, spot on. The book finishes at 1914 so the winding up was a little later than that. It was a long, hard battle to get a Leeds team strong enough to compete with the best. Leeds AFC and Hunslet all failed, before the directors of the latter managed to regroup and found City.