Derbys obsession with us

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Derbys obsession with us

Post by ChilwellWhite »

They’re a bunch of Bamford’s :lol: What’s the hatred of Juventus about ?
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

ChilwellWhite wrote:
Juventus put Clough's Derby out of the European Cup. In the semi, I think it was a bit controversial.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

Westminster wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:
Juventus put Clough's Derby out of the European Cup. In the semi, I think it was a bit controversial.
Think it was a bit like us with Milan in the CWC final and more than a strong hint of match fixing/bribery
The Squirrel
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by The Squirrel »

I like the comment containing a tweet about Derby beating us in the playoffs making Leeds fans tweet about Derby like needy ex girlfriends..........on a thread about Leeds Utd on a Derby forum.

Its like self awareness just doesn't exist.
GensanWhite
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by GensanWhite »

I really enjoyed reading some of their posts, they really do see themselves as a rival to us :lol:

In reality though Clough made them a good side after being fired from Leeds and they had some success with him. I can also see how that would have established a burning desire to dislike us and consider themselves a rival to us as we were the team to topple off the perch at the time, but we did that anyway without Derby. They are not a big club in any shape or form in my book and never have been. I would go so far as to say that they wouldn't even get into my premiership of clubs who I believe are premiership clubs.

I don't like their attitude but I don't hate the club either. Bit like Huddersfield Town fans really.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

GensanWhite wrote:I really enjoyed reading some of their posts, they really do see themselves as a rival to us :lol:

In reality though Clough made them a good side after being fired from Leeds and they had some success with him. I can also see how that would have established a burning desire to dislike us and consider themselves a rival to us as we were the team to topple off the perch at the time, but we did that anyway without Derby. They are not a big club in any shape or form in my book and never have been. I would go so far as to say that they wouldn't even get into my premiership of clubs who I believe are premiership clubs.

I don't like their attitude but I don't hate the club either. Bit like Huddersfield Town fans really.
Not sure I'd totally agree with that.

I don't really get the whole 'big club' thing anyway, but Derby were a good side when I was a kid and won the title twice in the 1970s (and remember we only won it once in that decade). Even when they were on the slide they still seemed to have a few good players - I'm thinking about the likes of Charlie George and Bruce Rioch, etc.

I'd see Derby as a more natural top flight club than some of those that are in there now, like Fulham and West Brom. Sheff Utd too. Certainly more than some other recent Premier League clubs, such as Hull and Bournemouth.

Obviously, Leicester have been a good side for a while now but I'd maybe have put Derby on a par with Leicester until more recent years.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote: I don't really get the whole 'big club' thing anyway,
The big club thing depends how you judge some folk think its to do with where you are in the league, top team = biggest club.

I don't go along with that I look at it with the view to the interest a club gets, eg, size of fan base, newspaper columns, internet hits, tv air time, etc.

Of course history helps in that and would be a thread of its own if we discussed which are the biggest clubs especially if that is how the leagues were formed. Top few I'm sure we would agree but last 6 or 7 would be debatable probably based on our era.
I'm sure it would be something the sponsors would want but I don't agree with that, sport is about earning what you get for me.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Is this the ideal Premiership league ?

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Blackburn Rovers
Chelsea
Derby County
Everton
Leeds United
Leicester City
Liverpool
Newcastle United
Nottingham Forest
Manchester City
Scum
Sheffield Wednesday
Southampton
Stoke City
Sunderland
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham United
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Winner of the Europa League
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

GensanWhite wrote:I really enjoyed reading some of their posts, they really do see themselves as a rival to us :lol:

Clough managed Derby before he came to Leeds. He took what were basically a run of the mill second division club and turned them into 1st Division champions within 4 years. Clough had for whatever reason a strong dislike for Don Revie and his Leeds United side at the time and was very outspoken about us in the media. Hence why it was such a shock when Clough was appointed as the Don's replacement. I do believe some of the rivalry lasts from this period when Derby and Leeds were vying for the top spot.
Clough of course was sacked after 44 days and went onto Nottingham Forest where he not only repeated what he had done at Derby he was even more successful in winning the European Cup twice.
I do wonder if Peter Taylor had come with him to Leeds if things might have worked out different...