What if? Bayern Munich 0: Leeds United 2

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: What if? Bayern Munich 0: Leeds United 2

Post by Westminster »

Phil147 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:
It's difficult to know who else we could have signed at that time though. I can't really remember many right-backs from that era. In fact, I recall Graham Taylor gong in Euro 92 without a recognised right-back and playing Keith Curle there who had a torrid time.
That is correct Taylor didn't have a RB in the squad :crazy: .
Curle played the first match in that position which we drew with eventual winners Denmark (think he never played for England again).
Batty played RB in the draw with France and defeat by Sweden (not 100% sure but think it was the first time Batts had ever played there at any level).

Was rumoured at the time Taylor asked Dorigo to play RB but he refused saying he could only play on the left so spent the tournament bench warming.
David Bardsley was the right back in the Premiership team of the year in 92/93 - he was at QPR at the time. He got two caps for England under Taylor. But you are right there wasn't really a wealth of talent there... Lee Dixon was starting to play for Arsenal but he was quite young back then. Mind you he would have been better than putting Keith Curle or Batts at right back. I had forgotten Batty had played there... a tournament easy to forget though.

We did have Gary Kelly coming through so I guess Wilko was OK with that and was hoping Sterland would last another season...
Gary Kelly was, I think, originally a striker but Wilko converted him to a full-back. I think he first appeared at the begining of the next season though (93-94).
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:
Phil147 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:
It's difficult to know who else we could have signed at that time though. I can't really remember many right-backs from that era. In fact, I recall Graham Taylor gong in Euro 92 without a recognised right-back and playing Keith Curle there who had a torrid time.
Curle played the first match in that position which we drew with eventual winners Denmark (think he never played for England again).
Batty played RB in the draw with France and defeat by Sweden (not 100% sure but think it was the first time Batts had ever played there at any level).

Was rumoured at the time Taylor asked Dorigo to play RB but he refused saying he could only play on the left so spent the tournament bench warming.
David Bardsley was the right back in the Premiership team of the year in 92/93 - he was at QPR at the time. He got two caps for England under Taylor. But you are right there wasn't really a wealth of talent there... Lee Dixon was starting to play for Arsenal but he was quite young back then. Mind you he would have been better than putting Keith Curle or Batts at right back. I had forgotten Batty had played there... a tournament easy to forget though.

We did have Gary Kelly coming through so I guess Wilko was OK with that and was hoping Sterland would last another season...
Gary Kelly was, I think, originally a striker but Wilko converted him to a full-back. I think he first appeared at the begining of the next season though (93-94).
Gary Kelly did come as a striker and Wilko converted him, however he made his debut in 1991.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

Phil147 wrote: David Bardsley was the right back in the Premiership team of the year in 92/93 - he was at QPR at the time. He got two caps for England under Taylor. But you are right there wasn't really a wealth of talent there... Lee Dixon was starting to play for Arsenal but he was quite young back then. Mind you he would have been better than putting Keith Curle or Batts at right back. I had forgotten Batty had played there... a tournament easy to forget though.
Lee Dixon was 28 and played in all of the qualifiers, but missed the finals through injury. His backup, Gary Stevens, was also injured.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:
Phil147 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:

Gary Kelly did come as a striker and Wilko converted him, however he made his debut in 1991.
Right, I didn't know he was around as early as that. Did he debut as a striker? I can only really remember Gary Kelly as a full-back.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

MOT1964 wrote:
Phil147 wrote: David Bardsley was the right back in the Premiership team of the year in 92/93 - he was at QPR at the time. He got two caps for England under Taylor. But you are right there wasn't really a wealth of talent there... Lee Dixon was starting to play for Arsenal but he was quite young back then. Mind you he would have been better than putting Keith Curle or Batts at right back. I had forgotten Batty had played there... a tournament easy to forget though.
Lee Dixon was 28 and played in all of the qualifiers, but missed the finals through injury. His backup, Gary Stevens, was also injured.
I rated Gary Stevens very highly. Maybe a bit past his best by '92 but he'd have been a decent signing for Leeds around that time. Much better than our other options around that time anyway.

Thinking about that era, I've also got a vague memory that Wilko tried to sign Duncan Ferguson. Presumably to take over from Lee Chapman. He was I think also in for Dean Saunders before he went to Liverpool.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:
Phil147 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:

Right, I didn't know he was around as early as that. Did he debut as a striker? I can only really remember Gary Kelly as a full-back.
Been trying to rack my brain on that one as was at the match when he came off the bench for his debut. My gut instinct is he got 30min or so on the wing but wouldn't be sure.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Westminster wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:
Phil147 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:

GK made 3 sub appearances in 91-91 ( 2 in the league , 1 in the Rumbelows cup) winger I think
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Slightly off topic (but connected :) ) I've always thought if we had won the league in 71 (West Brom!) and/or 72 (Wolves game 2 days after the cup final) when we were in our prime, we would have had our best chances of winning the european cup the season after both, which would (hopefully ) have meant more investment in the squad in addition to the quality level we had & then the by the time the 75 final came around we could have sat back with a big cigar & watched as we strolled home with our 3rd European cup :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ilkley62 wrote:Slightly off topic (but connected :) ) I've always thought if we had won the league in 71 (West Brom!) and/or 72 (Wolves game 2 days after the cup final) when we were in our prime, we would have had our best chances of winning the european cup the season after both, which would (hopefully ) have meant more investment in the squad in addition to the quality level we had & then the by the time the 75 final came around we could have sat back with a big cigar & watched as we strolled home with our 3rd European cup :D
Two League titles we should have won and think its an excellent point we were at our peak at that time and could put up a case with regards to our European Cup Chances.
Both years it was won by Ajax and with Arsenals draw in 71/72 we would have cruised to the last 8 then faced the Dutchmen.
72/73 Derby got to the Semi before losing to Juventos (who lost to Ajax in the final). Of course in 73 we were cheated out of the Cup winners cup :shh:
Could we have beaten Ajax or Juventos at that time (we beat Juve in 71) ?
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:
ilkley62 wrote:Slightly off topic (but connected :) ) I've always thought if we had won the league in 71 (West Brom!) and/or 72 (Wolves game 2 days after the cup final) when we were in our prime, we would have had our best chances of winning the european cup the season after both, which would (hopefully ) have meant more investment in the squad in addition to the quality level we had & then the by the time the 75 final came around we could have sat back with a big cigar & watched as we strolled home with our 3rd European cup :D
Two League titles we should have won and think its an excellent point we were at our peak at that time and could put up a case with regards to our European Cup Chances.
Both years it was won by Ajax and with Arsenals draw in 71/72 we would have cruised to the last 8 then faced the Dutchmen.
72/73 Derby got to the Semi before losing to Juventos (who lost to Ajax in the final). Of course in 73 we were cheated out of the Cup winners cup :shh:
Could we have beaten Ajax or Juventos at that time (we beat Juve in 71) ?
Leeds v Ajax in the European Cup circa 1972 or '73 would've been great. Very difficult to say how it would've turned out but I think we would've had as a good a chance as anybody of beating them.