Under Marcelo

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Improved

Meslier
2%
Ayling
20%
Dallas
20%
Cooper
8%
Harrison
No votes
Phillips
22%
Alioski
No votes
Bamford
6%
Klich
20%
Costa
No votes
Roberts
No votes
Hernandez
No votes
Shackleton
No votes
Struijk
No votes

Total votes: 49

Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Under Marcelo

Post by Costy »

Really difficult as there are several, but I went for Dallas in the end. I used to think he had very little to offer and was barely even a championship player, but now he's putting in top notch performances in the premier league in a range of different positions and looks completely transformed. Amazing.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Has to be Kalvin Phillips surely.

Prior to Marcelo arriving, many Leeds fans wouldn’t have complained too much if Kalvin had left, or at least gone out on loan somewhere. Marcelo has turned him into one of the best defensive midfielders in the country and an England international.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:Has to be Kalvin Phillips surely.

Prior to Marcelo arriving, many Leeds fans wouldn’t have complained too much if Kalvin had left, or at least gone out on loan somewhere. Marcelo has turned him into one of the best defensive midfielders in the country and an England international.
Not sure about that BB thought that Kalvin started to show progress and had a good season the one before MB arrived playing a more attacking midfield role. Didn't he contribute a few goals that season?
I know he had a few knockers but plenty of us on here rated him.

Not disbuting switching him to defensive midfield has found his best position and helped him progress much further and turning him into an international.

Edit - just checked and he scored 7 in 41 league games playing for a mid table team the season prior to MB arriving.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The players I never rated have all improved tremendously these being Klich, Alioski & Dallas & yes I’m loving it that I was so wrong. The poll shows just how many players have stepped up to the plate, long may it continue
Winner of the Europa League
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Could have been any of 6 or 7 players, but I’ve gone for Klich. Of all of our usual starters, I reckon he’d be the biggest miss if he were injured or suspended (and it’s a remarkable achievement that that has never happened), and he couldn’t even get in our squad before MB turned up.
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

I went for cooper.
I used to really curse him, especially in the ancient italian era with the worse defence i ever seen in my life bonuchi and cooper.
When jansson joined with bartley i thought "good riddance". Back then i said to a mate if a coach was ever to get us promoted with him as main center back it will be:
a) with lots of luck and out of playoff spot, and
b) squeezing the ability out of cooper, getting him way beyond what he is capable of.
Now 3 years later im eating my word. The guy not only played as our main CB during the promotion season, he was also captain and he is a main man & captain in our current PL squad.
Well done coops, well done MB and well done raddz.
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Barlow Boy wrote:Has to be Kalvin Phillips surely.

True this, but Klich went on loan. If I remember right we didn't miss him too much. Under Bielsa he's been ever present.
bedfordwhites
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by bedfordwhites »

Klich for me.

On his way out, you would think, out on loan,hauled off at half time a few seasons back.

Bielsa arrives puts Klich in 3rd squad when arrives.

Starts in Bielsa first league game against Stoke, scores first goal of the match, not looked back since,
ever present, first on the team sheet, quality player for me. in Bielsa we trust. MOT.
The Squirrel

Post by The Squirrel »

Klich. Farmed out on loan for a season and looked a waste of time. Played every league game under El Loco.
alwaysleeds

Post by alwaysleeds »

So many have improved under Bielsa. I voted for Bamford; but even Ayling, Dallas, Klich, Phillips, Shackleton and Cooper is other players today - they are all pure quality and the heartline for the team.