Leeds v Man U 1977 FA Cup semi-final

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Leeds v Man U 1977 FA Cup semi-final

Post by Westminster »

Not a great day in our history, obviously - losing to Man U who then went on to win the FA Cup.

But I've always thought this match was a much more significant moment in our history than most people think - inasmuch as, to me, it really meant the end of the road for Don Revie's Leeds United. Let me explain:

Everybody tends to see the European Cup Final in '75 as the final curtain for Revie's boys but the team that played at Hillsborough that day in April 1977 included Reaney, Madeley, Clarke, McQueen, Jordan, Cherry and the Gray brothers, with Peter Lorimer coming off the bench. So, it was, in other words, still identifiably a Revie team.

It was only over the next couple of years that that side really got dismantled. Reaney, Jordan and McQueen all left the club the following season, with the latter to going to Man U - which was symbolic of our fall down the pecking order and effectively meant we'd become a 'selling club'. Jimmy Armfield was sacked at the end of the season, and Lorimer and Frankie Gray left the following year. So, to me, that day at Hillsborough really represented something of a watershed in the history of the club, even if most people don't recognise it as such.

I also think it was a turning point in terms of football and youth culture more broadly though as the crowd trouble probably marked the end of 'boot boy' hooligan era. Everything began to change that summer and the whole 'casual' thing started to take off thereafter. So, all in all, it's not only a football match but a moment in time that's always fascinated me.

Was anybody there that day in Sheffield back in '77? Any memories of the match, the build up or the fall-out thereafter?
Deleted User 2747

Re: Leeds v Man U 1977 FA Cup semi-final

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I was at that match. I was a teenager. Me, a mate of mine at the time who lived in Sheffield and my late dad.

We lost 2 v 1 didn't we?

It was the end of an era.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Yes, 2-1. We were two down in the first 15 minutes. Clarkey got one back in the second half with a penalty after Joe Jordan was pulled down. But it was wasn't to be.

The end of an era though, yes. Much more so than Paris '75 I've always thought, for the reasons I explain above.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Yes I was at the match remember it more for the issues getting to the ground as there was a bus strike in Sheffield on the day and we all had to walk from the city centre (its a long way).
Leeds trains all went there and the Scum fans got the station near the ground.

We were well out numbered in the ground as at the time the clubs got a third as did the host club. Sheff Wed returned theirs to the FA which was then given to our opponents resulting in them having twice as many fans as us for a "neutral" game.

We had the big open kop end but it was split with a massive line of police keeping the fans apart.

After the match the police tried to keep the Leeds fans in while the streets were cleared of Scum but there was a bit of a crush and the police lines broke resulting in a bit of craziness outside.

That was nothing compared to 90 minutes non stop clashes in the South Bank at Wolves in the round before. Hostile place to visit was Wolverhampton back then. Was 10,000+ Leeds fans in the South Bank and we were still outnumbered, that was one massive stand to have no segregation (think it held 30,000).

Don't really put that semi match as the start of a decline thought we had a decent team for the next couple of years, in fact qualified for Europe two years later if memory serves me correct. Had some cracking players such as Currie, Graham, Cherry, Frank Gray, Hankin, etc and we were on our way back to the top until Jimmy Adamson weaved his "not so" magic :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

Yes 2 down early doors I remember and we got a penalty back second half. A lot of players who featured that day thought we let ourselves down with the performance but I didn't agree. We played pretty well after going 2 behind and had a shed load of chances first half - a Clarke one on one he put wide, Eddie had a good chance, McQueen too, it just wouldn't go in. More even second half I recall but we still had a few good chances. Ultimately it was that bad start, Frank Gray's mistake on the first goal and a wonder half volley, Gordon Hill I think but we just couldn't get it back. I was a teenager then, absolutely Leeds mad, I'd missed the great Revie era by a whisker so this was really the start of my time, starting to go to games and living each week just to see Leeds. Currie was a great favourite, Arthur Graham too and I also had a soft spot for Kevin Hird even though he got some stick from the kop now and again. These, and others would be the ones to try and bring back the glory days but sadly it didn't quite happen though I have really fond memories of the time.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:Yes I was at the match remember it more for the issues getting to the ground as there was a bus strike in Sheffield on the day and we all had to walk from the city centre (its a long way).
Leeds trains all went there and the Scum fans got the station near the ground.

We were well out numbered in the ground as at the time the clubs got a third as did the host club. Sheff Wed returned theirs to the FA which was then given to our opponents resulting in them having twice as many fans as us for a "neutral" game.

We had the big open kop end but it was split with a massive line of police keeping the fans apart.

After the match the police tried to keep the Leeds fans in while the streets were cleared of Scum but there was a bit of a crush and the police lines broke resulting in a bit of craziness outside.

That was nothing compared to 90 minutes non stop clashes in the South Bank at Wolves in the round before. Hostile place to visit was Wolverhampton back then. Was 10,000+ Leeds fans in the South Bank and we were still outnumbered, that was one massive stand to have no segregation (think it held 30,000).

Don't really put that semi match as the start of a decline thought we had a decent team for the next couple of years, in fact qualified for Europe two years later if memory serves me correct. Had some cracking players such as Currie, Graham, Cherry, Frank Gray, Hankin, etc and we were on our way back to the top until Jimmy Adamson weaved his "not so" magic :crazy:
Yes, I've heard we were well outnumbered on the day.

What's the story with all Wednesday tickets going to them, SW? Sounds very unfair or was it some sort of stupid person up? Also any recollections about the crowd trouble on the the day - did they get the better of us due to numbers or was it more messy than that?

I know it seems like I'm asking for a lot of detail here but I'm planning a retirement project which involves doing some writing based on key moments in the history of Leeds United - and this day is one of them. As is Paris 75 and WBA away in '82.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Emley White wrote:Yes 2 down early doors I remember and we got a penalty back second half. A lot of players who featured that day thought we let ourselves down with the performance but I didn't agree. We played pretty well after going 2 behind and had a shed load of chances first half - a Clarke one on one he put wide, Eddie had a good chance, McQueen too, it just wouldn't go in. More even second half I recall but we still had a few good chances. Ultimately it was that bad start, Frank Gray's mistake on the first goal and a wonder half volley, Gordon Hill I think but we just couldn't get it back. I was a teenager then, absolutely Leeds mad, I'd missed the great Revie era by a whisker so this was really the start of my time, starting to go to games and living each week just to see Leeds. Currie was a great favourite, Arthur Graham too and I also had a soft spot for Kevin Hird even though he got some stick from the kop now and again. These, and others would be the ones to try and bring back the glory days but sadly it didn't quite happen though I have really fond memories of the time.
Coppell got their first, Jimmy Greenhoff the second.

I've seen highlights of the game and my impression, like yours, is that we had some good chances but it was just one of those days where the ball wasn't running for us.

Some photos of the game here:

http://www.ozwhitelufc.net.au/23-04-197 ... United.htm

ps. Always loved Tony Currie. Something of bright star in what was otherwise a team in decline.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

It was Coppell with the volley then from the edge of the box not Hill, Greenhoff scored after Gray's miscue in the box, cheers
farcebandit
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by farcebandit »

Rather ironic the end of the glory era featured a goalby Jimmy Greenhoff.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

farcebandit wrote:Rather ironic the end of the glory era featured a goalby Jimmy Greenhoff.
I always rated Jimmy Greenhoff, he's one of those who always features on 'best players never to have played for England' lists. I've often wondered if it was a mistake letting Greenhoff go when we did.

Going back to that semi-final in '77, I watched highlights of the game on Youtube recently and was surprised how many chances we had in the second half. I've always had the impression that we were overwhelmed that day but it looks like we had at least four clear cut chances that afternoon but it just ended up being one of those matches when the ball just wouldn't go in the net.

I also wonder why Man U ended up getting Sheff Wednesday's ticket allocation because we were seriously outnumbered at Hillsborough that day.