biggest regrets

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: biggest regrets

Post by Westminster »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Fabian Delph one of if not the best youngster I’ve ever seen at Leeds. Remember his wonder goal at the Withdean. I think injury has limited his career but still a great player.

Slightly off topic who’s the best centre forward of recent time Beckford, McCormack, Wood or Bamford ?
I hope it will end up being Bamford but at the moment I'd say Wood has a better record as he's done well in the Premier League for a couple of seasons now. I thought Beckford was very good for us but he failed when he tried to step up a level.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Slightly off topic who’s the best centre forward of recent time Beckford, McCormack, Wood or Bamford ?
Becchio :D

I never rated McCormack that highly as I don't like poachers - if they have an off day, so does the team.
Beckford was quick and had attitude, which I like in a striker - plus, of course, that goal.
Wood is good. I really like him but think he's a bit one-dimensional and he takes time to get going .. which brings us nicely to Bamford who is confounding all his critics, myself included.

I'd still rather have a 26-year old Becchio though :problem:
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

It was surprising when Billy Bremner let Dennis Irwin go to Oldham for next to nothing as he was a promising youngster one of many brought through by Eddie Gray. He went for a snip, something like £100,000 and shortly after picked off by Ferguson for £600,000. Tommy Wright, Andy Ritchie and John Sheridan all ended up at Oldham and every time they beat us it left a real sour taste. At a time when the club were struggling for funds Eddie did a great job bringing all those young lads through and I'd have loved to have seen them all get to the promised land together.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Chris Wood for me even when he wasn’t getting the goals loved his work ethic and commitment. Always amazed me that he could fly to play for New Zealand play for his country and a few days later turn out for Leeds.
Beckford was great but we only saw him playing against League 1 opponents. McCormack you never knew what you would get with him. Paddy is a firm favourite of mine ever since he signed I love again his work ethic, commitment and the fact he gives 110% every game. I’m loving the way all the so called experts are now admitting they’re wrong about him.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Emley White wrote:It was surprising when Billy Bremner let Dennis Irwin go to Oldham for next to nothing as he was a promising youngster one of many brought through by Eddie Gray. He went for a snip, something like £100,000 and shortly after picked off by Ferguson for £600,000. Tommy Wright, Andy Ritchie and John Sheridan all ended up at Oldham and every time they beat us it left a real sour taste. At a time when the club were struggling for funds Eddie did a great job bringing all those young lads through and I'd have loved to have seen them all get to the promised land together.
Yeah, unfortunately Bremner made a mistake clearing out a lot of good young players, I think he got rid of Scott Sellars too. Andy Linighan was another one. Maybe not a world beater, but Linighan went on to have a solid career and was, to me, better than the payers who succeeded him at Leeds. I'm thinking about the likes of David Rennie and Brendan Ormsby here.

Billy was also responsible for calling time on Peter Lorimer's career, maybe David Harvey as well I seem to recall.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote: Slightly off topic who’s the best centre forward of recent time Beckford, McCormack, Wood or Bamford ?
Becchio :D

I never rated McCormack that highly as I don't like poachers - if they have an off day, so does the team.
Beckford was quick and had attitude, which I like in a striker - plus, of course, that goal.
Wood is good. I really like him but think he's a bit one-dimensional and he takes time to get going .. which brings us nicely to Bamford who is confounding all his critics, myself included.

I'd still rather have a 26-year old Becchio though :problem:
McCormack was far too creative to be considered just a poacher; he had far more to his overall game than, say, Billie Sharp. If anything, he was like a championship false 9.

In terms of this thread: Lewis Cook.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Jordan was playing without a contract when he was transferred, being paid on a week to week basis.He still gave 100%. He wouldn't sign the new contract offered by Leeds, which didn't reflect his ability and the going rate for a player of his standard. I believe McQueen was the go-between and tapped him up to start the Man united transfer negotiations.We lost a good one there.

In the time bubble that I am trapped in, the player that I really regret us loosing, who I hoped would be part of the club for years was Jimmy Greenhoff.
If Jimmy had stayed there wouldn't have been a Mick Jones, we wouldn't have needed him.Problem was at that time we had 2 great young talents, Peter Lorimer and Greenhoff competing for a starting position in the forward line.In the early days Lorimer played a bit more in the middle, later being pushed out wider, and Greenhoff pretty much the same before becoming played as a traditional centre foreward. I don't think Greenhoff had the quality supporting players at Stoke that he would have had at Leeds in the years after his transfer, and that he would have excelled and become a star in Revie's team. There was a lot of transfer gossip about both players at that time, and to be honest I thought we had sold the wrong player.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Saxon wrote:Jordan was playing without a contract when he was transferred, being paid on a week to week basis.He still gave 100%. He wouldn't sign the new contract offered by Leeds, which didn't reflect his ability and the going rate for a player of his standard. I believe McQueen was the go-between and tapped him up to start the Man united transfer negotiations.We lost a good one there.

In the time bubble that I am trapped in, the player that I really regret us loosing, who I hoped would be part of the club for years was Jimmy Greenhoff.
If Jimmy had stayed there wouldn't have been a Mick Jones, we wouldn't have needed him.Problem was at that time we had 2 great young talents, Peter Lorimer and Greenhoff competing for a starting position in the forward line.In the early days Lorimer played a bit more in the middle, later being pushed out wider, and Greenhoff pretty much the same before becoming played as a traditional centre foreward. I don't think Greenhoff had the quality supporting players at Stoke that he would have had at Leeds in the years after his transfer, and that he would have excelled and become a star in Revie's team. There was a lot of transfer gossip about both players at that time, and to be honest I thought we had sold the wrong player.
Joe Jordan had, I think, been agitating for a move for some time before he went to Man U though. I seem to remember Bayern Munich coming in for him after the European Cup final. Jordan wanted to go there but Jimmy Armfield told him the board wouldn't allow it.

Clough, by the way, had wanted to ship Jordan off to Birmingham City, who were looking for a big striker to replace Bob Latchford. That, of course, didn't happen and Birmingham ended up sticking Kenny Burns upfront instead.

Good point about Greenhoff. It must have been a difficult decision for Revie that one. But I suppose the fact that you could only select 11 players (later 12) for each match was a big factor back then. Nowadays, there are, as you know, more subs and more opportunities for squad rotation.
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by yorkfan »

Olivier Dacourt, both the loss of his skills in defensive midfield, and the Venables child-like strop which resulted in his transfer.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The failure of the Leeds Board to take the advice of Don Revie and appoint Johnny Giles as his successor. Perhaps we might have avoided some of the grief that we all endured?
Keep The Faith / WAL