biggest regrets

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: biggest regrets

Post by Westminster »

Terry Yorath was treated badly by the crowd and apparently it came to a head when he rounded on a section of them and gave them a mouthful back. That's apparently when gentleman Jimmy decided to sell Yorath.

Here's another regret - that we never signed Kevin Keegan. Apparently, he was interested in coming to us when he was at Hamburg and Jimmy Adamson had lined a deal up but the board wouldn't wear it, and Keegan signed for Southampton instead.

I was always a fan of Keegan, thought he was a brilliant player and would have loved to have seen him at Leeds - and, boy, we could have done with him by that stage as well.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:
farcebandit wrote:Greenhoff might have been sold for his temperament as he resented Revie poking too deeply into his private life - as did O'Grady. Mick Jones was the ideal target man the team needed as he could endure punishment and hold the ball up for the others. Perhaps in a parallel universe, Jones and Greenhoff form a formidable duo as Jones did with Clarke. Sadly, the unjustified booing from the Gelderd End forced Yorath out. He flowered away from Elland Road once the pressure was off. Selling Hawley and Hankin was rank stupidity - was Adamson a deep cover agent from Old Trafford? Of course, the biggest regret was selling King John to Juventus.

I never heard anything about Greenhoff's temperament or Revie poking into his private life. I did know about Mike O'Grady night clubbing,sometimes night before the game with one of his old Huddersfield Town team mates. You cannot question Greenhoff's playing record with Leeds, Stoke, and Man United, he was mentioned at the time, along with Howard kendall as the best player ever, not to be selected for England
I still believe that if he stayed at Leeds, Mick Jones would not have become a Leeds player. Just for the record, Mick Jones is my favourite Leeds player of all time based on unselfish graft for his team mates, plus he could play a bit.
If I was Terry Yorath I would never have set foot in Leeds again, sections of the Leeds crowd didn't deserve a player who gave his best at all times.The boo boys should have gone after the person who selected the team, or assembled a squad with an inferior player.
I've never heard that said about Greenhoff's temperament either, saying that was only a whipper snapper at the time at footballers were just heroes that were photos on the bedroom wall that could do no wrong. :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:Terry Yorath was treated badly by the crowd and apparently it came to a head when he rounded on a section of them and gave them a mouthful back. That's apparently when gentleman Jimmy decided to sell Yorath.

Here's another regret - that we never signed Kevin Keegan. Apparently, he was interested in coming to us when he was at Hamburg and Jimmy Adamson had lined a deal up but the board wouldn't wear it, and Keegan signed for Southampton instead.

I was always a fan of Keegan, thought he was a brilliant player and would have loved to have seen him at Leeds - and, boy, we could have done with him by that stage as well.
A big fan of Keegan myself but can't recall any stories about him coming here, at the time I was following both Leeds and England home & away so would love to hear more about that one. Actually met Keegan 1980 in Copenhagen of all places and had a drink with him, was following a U'21's match we both watched the night before he had a blinder in a 4-3 victory over the Danes with the senior team (have a beer stained England Flag with his autograph on from that night :D ).
Always thought he went to Southampton because he was big mates with Mick Channon.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I met Kevin Keegan and his wife as I was coming out of my house one morning. We lived 200m from The Dell and they were just walking up the road to the boutiquey shopping area known as Bedford Place here in Southampton.
I was about 12 and squeaked an "Alright, Kev ?" to him and he said "Alright, son ?" back at me, both he and his good lady beaming.
This was full-on bubble perm time when he was still European Player of the Year, just about :)
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Jimmy Greenhoff was also my first boyhood hero, had a poster of him my bedroom wall. He scored a brace in my first ever game & after that it was hero worship. To say I was disappointed when he was sold is a massive understatement. I think it says a lot about Don that Mick Bates remained at the club he could have walked into any other team in the league.
Winner of the Europa League
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:Terry Yorath was treated badly by the crowd and apparently it came to a head when he rounded on a section of them and gave them a mouthful back. That's apparently when gentleman Jimmy decided to sell Yorath.

A big fan of Keegan myself but can't recall any stories about him coming here, at the time I was following both Leeds and England home & away so would love to hear more about that one. Actually met Keegan 1980 in Copenhagen of all places and had a drink with him, was following a U'21's match we both watched the night before he had a blinder in a 4-3 victory over the Danes with the senior team (have a beer stained England Flag with his autograph on from that night :D ).
Always thought he went to Southampton because he was big mates with Mick Channon.
I've heard it said a few times, SW. It's mentioned here:

https://www.newstalk.com/sport/team-33- ... eds-506003

Don't know how much truth there is in the story though.

Either way, it would have great to had Keegan at Leeds. Look at the effect he had on Newcastle, maybe he could have done something similar for us.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I’ll always remember Keegan for his punch up with Billy in the 1974 Charity Shield. Also for his fantastic rant about Ferguson :lol:
Winner of the Europa League
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I’ll always remember Keegan for his punch up with Billy in the 1974 Charity Shield. Also for his fantastic rant about Ferguson :lol:
I actually think it's a bit of a shame that a lot of people remember Keegan as a manager more than a player because. to me, it's sullied his reputation. Walking away from jobs, failing as England manager and, of course, that rant.

Because, as a player, he was dynamite. For me, he was the best English player of the 1970s, by quite a way. He's also the one player that I always thought would have definitely improved Don Revie's Leeds.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:

Either way, it would have great to had Keegan at Leeds. Look at the effect he had on Newcastle, maybe he could have done something similar for us.
Absolutely would have loved him here, and although I'm fully aware that we are always linked with with every player going it wouldn't surprise me if this story is true, don't think our board at the time liked splashing the cash.

Saying that always had the feeling they had realised their mistake in getting Adamson and were virtually letting him run his contract down (didn't want another Clough)so wouldn't have backed him in the transfer market. Possibly cost us two years of progress.
Westminster

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:
Westminster wrote:

Absolutely would have loved him here, and although I'm fully aware that we are always linked with with every player going it wouldn't surprise me if this story is true, don't think our board at the time liked splashing the cash.

Saying that always had the feeling they had realised their mistake in getting Adamson and were virtually letting him run his contract down (didn't want another Clough)so wouldn't have backed him in the transfer market. Possibly cost us two years of progress.
Good point, bringing Adamson in was a a mistake, We were a much worse side when he left than when he arrived.

Maybe it would have been the right time to bring Big Jack in as manager when they got rid of Adamson. Choosing Allan Clarke as Adamson's replacement puzzled me because I thought there were better options out there at the time, even among Leeds old boys.