biggest regrets

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
selbydave
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

biggest regrets

Post by selbydave »

who do you think were the biggest regrets in regards to letting players leave that seemed destined for long careers at leeds?

one player i loved seeing right from the youth set up was terry phelan who was lightning quick and wingers never seemed to get a sniff against him
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: biggest regrets

Post by kk white »

Denis Irwin. Mr consistent. Guaranteed minimum 8 out of 10 every week, with regular better performances.

Never caused trouble, calm and unassuming, but a ruthless edge that he used with quiet determination.

I still refer to him when coaching kids, even though they've never heard of him. YouTube is great for reference.

That Ferguson guy from across the Pennines still rates him as his best signing.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Depends.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and I doubt any of us would've been that bothered to know either Phelan or Irwin or David Seaman were leaving at the time - they hadn't shown enough so we let them go.

I think conscious awareness that someone is a talented player but still selling them is a more heinous crime, but then needs must at times and you can't argue with the economics when someone offers to make your player the most expensive defender in the world, a la Rio.

I thought Howson would play for England.
I thought Snodgrass was the best player outside the EPL.
I thought Schmeichel would be really special given time.
Byram, Taylor, Lees, Gradel, Lennon, Milner ..

Of all of them, I would say Gary Speed in my lifetime.
He should've played out his entire career with us. A magnificent player and a great man.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

David Batty for me.

Prior to his departure as I remember he was injured or suspended and Chris Fairclough played in the DM role and did quite well. The board I feel decided we could cash in because thet thought we had an adequate replacement.
Well of course defensively CF was ok but he never had Batts engine or ability to pick the pass to our more attack minded players to put us on the front foot in games.
Sadly in my opinion it was the start of a decline.
Batts of course did very well at Blackburn and Newcastle proving his worth.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Jimmy Greenhoff
Terry Yorath
Tony Currie
Dennis Irwin
Ian Snodin
Scott Sellars
John Sheridan
Gary McAllister
Gordon Strachan
Gary Speed
David Batty
Erm... Eric Cantona

Plenty of more recent ones obviously:

Dacourt
Bowyer
Rose
Milner
Snodgrass
Woods
And lots of others too

Symbolically, I think the biggest losses were Jordan and McQueen though. Both players at the top of their game sold to our biggest rivals, it was essentially an admission that the glory days were over.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:Jimmy Greenhoff
Terry Yorath
Tony Currie
Dennis Irwin
Ian Snodin
Scott Sellars
John Sheridan
Gary McAllister
Gordon Strachan
Gary Speed
David Batty
Erm... Eric Cantona

Dacourt
Bowyer
Rose
Milner
Snodgrass
Woods
And lots of others too

Symbolically, I think the biggest losses were Jordan and McQueen though. Both players at the top of their game sold to our biggest rivals, it was essentially an admission that the glory days were over.
Yes think there is a case for all on your list.

With regards to the two you mention at the end I wasn't that bothered about Jordan leaving thought at the time he could be replaced, was never sure him and Hankin were a suited pair, both too similar. As Hankin contributed the vast majority of goals (Jordan had a poor ratio for us) it made sense to keep him and thought our football flowed better as a unit with Hankin & Hawley the following season (in fact we finished 5th and got into Europe).
Striking problems started a couple of years later when both Hawley & Hankin left.

However McQueen was a massive loss could argue he was the best CB in the UK at the time.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Surprised no one has mentioned Fabian Delph one of if not the best youngster I’ve ever seen at Leeds. Remember his wonder goal at the Withdean. I think injury has limited his career but still a great player.

Slightly off topic who’s the best centre forward of recent time Beckford, McCormack, Wood or Bamford ?
Winner of the Europa League
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Selby White wrote:
Terry Yorath
Tony Currie
Dennis Irwin
Ian Snodin
Scott Sellars
John Sheridan
Gary McAllister
Gordon Strachan
Gary Speed
David Batty
Erm... Eric Cantona

Dacourt
Bowyer
Rose
Milner
Snodgrass
Woods
And lots of others too

With regards to the two you mention at the end I wasn't that bothered about Jordan leaving thought at the time he could be replaced, was never sure him and Hankin were a suited pair, both too similar. As Hankin contributed the vast majority of goals (Jordan had a poor ratio for us) it made sense to keep him and thought our football flowed better as a unit with Hankin & Hawley the following season (in fact we finished 5th and got into Europe).
Striking problems started a couple of years later when both Hawley & Hankin left.

However McQueen was a massive loss could argue he was the best CB in the UK at the time.
I agree, I always rated McQueen very highly.

I take your point about Jordan but I do think it was a symbolic loss when both he and McQueen went to Man U, one after the other.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Surprised no one has mentioned Fabian Delph one of if not the best youngster I’ve ever seen at Leeds. Remember his wonder goal at the Withdean. I think injury has limited his career but still a great player.

Slightly off topic who’s the best centre forward of recent time Beckford, McCormack, Wood or Bamford ?
All very different style of striker but its about the level you do it for to me so will go for Wood so far but Bamford may pass him if he keeps up this seasons performances for a couple of years.
See Beckford and McCormack at their best and most effective at lower levels.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Terry Yorath
Tony Currie
Dennis Irwin
Ian Snodin
Scott Sellars
John Sheridan
Gary McAllister
Gordon Strachan
Gary Speed
David Batty
Erm... Eric Cantona

Dacourt
Bowyer
Rose
Milner
Snodgrass
Woods
And lots of others too

I agree, I always rated McQueen very highly.

I take your point about Jordan but I do think it was a symbolic loss when both he and McQueen went to Man U, one after the other.
Agree it was symbolic anyone we sell to them lot hurts :thumbup: