Bielsa makes Fifa shortlist for men's manager of the year

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Bielsa makes Fifa shortlist for men's manager of the year

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Leeds' Marcelo Bielsa makes Fifa shortlist for men's manager of the year

The Leeds manager, Marcelo Bielsa, has surprisingly been named on the five-man shortlist for Fifa men’s coach of the year.
World football’s governing body has released the shortlist for its seven individual awards to be presented at The Best Fifa Football Awards on 17 December.
Bielsa was an eye-catching inclusion on the five-strong men’s coach shortlist, with the Championship-winning manager named alongside Hansi Flick (Bayern Munich), Julen Lopetegui (Sevilla), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid) and Jürgen Klopp (Liverpool).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Full article from today's Guardian : https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... mens-award

I doubt he'll win it, but it's nice to see him recognised for his efforts.
I'm pretty sure Flick will come out on top and I also think he should, given the way he turned Bayern round and the run they've been on since he took over.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Bielsa makes Fifa shortlist for men's manager of the yea

Post by Selby White »

Excellent to be selected but think I agree Flick is fav and maybe Klopp to come 2nd.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Zubico
Giddy Kipper

Post by Zubico »

We just need to register and vote for him. Bielsa has plenty of supporters in South America, Spain and now in England....
I think he has a fair and deserved chance...
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Zubico wrote:We just need to register and vote for him. Bielsa has plenty of supporters in South America, Spain and now in England....
I think he has a fair and deserved chance...
Welcome Zubico :wave: , why not introduce yourself the next time you visit.

You are right Biesla has many supporters all over the world and its great he is showing he can handle with the so called big boys in the Premier League.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Now in the final 3 with Cliptity and Flick
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Unfortunately, Klopp will get it. He has the whole of the UK medium behind him. For example, the Telegraph Sport is like a Liverpool FC promotion pamphlet. Their football staff are stacked out with Liverpool supporters and ex Liverpool players. There isn't a day goes by, even if Liverpool haven't played, when there aren't full pages (or more) on some aspect of Liverpool FC.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

But this is a global award and for that reason I think Flick will win and deservedly so. The streak they've been on since he took over is nothing less than staggering and on a par with Barca ten years ago.
Tourist
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Tourist »

And Klopp has indeed won it. But come on, LUFC manager in top 3 world's best managers of 2020. Amazing.
Deleted User 728

That's BS.
He won the league.

Flick won everything .. in his first season.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

rigger wrote:That's BS.
He won the league.

Flick won everything .. in his first season.
As much as I would have liked Bielsa to win it you are right, Flick should have won it. Take nothing away from Klopp of course as he has also done well at Liverpool but one could argue they have under achieved over the years so there was less pressure on there. Flick essentially had to win the league, anything else for Bayern would be unacceptable.
He did win the UEFA coach of the year award though, so its not like he was completely ignored.

Anyway to have a Leeds manager / coach even in the conversation of FIFA coach of the year award seems incredible given where we were not so long ago. If the award really was about 'best coach' i.e. making players better and getting the utmost out of their abilities then Bielsa should indeed have won it. However, awards like this tend to reflect achievements which can be quantified by trophies and Flick should have been recognized for that.