Should I stay or should I go...?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Should I stay or should I go...?

Post by Otherworld »

When Marcelo Bielsa arrived at Elland Road two and a half years ago, I had a feeling that something dramatic was about to happen. This, I thought, could be a horrible disaster, or a glorious triumph. I didn’t think there’d be much middle ground.

So, I’m happy to say that, barring the trauma of the 2018/19 play-off defeat, and one or two other bumps in the road, Marcello’s time in Leeds has been all that I was hoping. We are back in the premier league, and playing some of the most enthralling, swashbuckling football that I’ve seen us play in my nearly 50 years as a Leeds United supporter. I couldn’t be happier.

Actually, I could. There is one thing, one nagging little thing, that is spoiling it all for me.

At the risk of sounding like a desperate and needy girlfriend, I’d just like to see some commitment! I know the man is an enigmatic genius, and with that kind of brilliance we shouldn’t be surprised that he’s a little bit unstable, even unreliable. But the fact that he could leave us at any point if this project started to go tits up, or just pack his bags and move on at the end of the season, somehow stops me from fully embracing him.

Marcelo Bielsa could build a lasting legacy here. Some might argue that he already has, but how amazing would it be if he would commit to the club for a few years, and return us to the glory years of the past?
Deleted User 728

Re: Should I stay or should I go...?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Great post :clap:

Have you ever had a relationship like that ?
I have.
A couple actually.
In both cases I knew that the chemistry, the compatibility, the extreme, supreme highs and the sheer euphoria of what was happening was incredible, the kind of happiness that only comes along once - or twice ! - in a lifetime .. and yet, like you suggest, there's something nagging at the back of the mind, something telling you that it's too good to be true, that it won't last.

The question is, do you go in eyes wide open and just embrace it for whatever it is and for however fleeting that may be ?
Or do you hold something back or even walk away to save yourself from heartache.

For me, the first time came to a kind of a natural end with both of us deciding to quit while we were ahead. We were young - I was around 21, 22 and she was a couple of years younger than that - and it was too early to settle down. We both wanted to experience more life before deciding anything : jobs, place, people.
I think of her fondly and would love it if I ever bumped into her but haven't seen her for thirty-odd years now.

The second time was a bit more grizzly.
There was some "previous" as it was the second time we tried to be together, with twenty years of sexual tension between the two instances.
It was great when it was good, but when it wasn't we were at each other's throats.
It would never work, could never work, we both knew that in our heart of hearts.
It ended badly, acrimoniously, with both of us blaming the other. I feel fully justified about why and I'm sure she does too, but it still hurts.
It's always gonna be a case of what if - if we'd been able to compromise, if the timing had been different, if .. if ..

With Marcelo, I see him as the second kind of case.
He's been around the block a few times and he knows what he wants.
He's not willing to compromise and will only go so far with anyone (club) and it has to be on his terms.
He already has commitments and baggage that will always be a part of his life, so the real question is : are you prepared to embrace him, to love him, to cherish him despite knowing it will not be forever ?
The highs will be high but there will also be an inevitable parting of the ways.

Above all else, the man is a purist.
It is frustrating and I've outlined his faults many, many times elsewhere on this forum .. but I also know he's the finest coach I've experienced in my lifetime and, quite possibly, of all time in the game itself.
These players couldn't have achieved their current levels under anyone else in the modern game.
It was different in the days of Revie, Clough, Roux, Shankly, etc.
For raising the levels of expectation there is nobody finer.

So yeah, I'll shed a tear when he goes but we all will and none of us will be surprised.

I actually think it won't be until at least the end of next season.
He seems to be having fun here.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I'd say with Bielsa it's one where you need to appreciate whilst it lasts. One one of those where you'll look back and see them as the good times, and you'll not want to realise those were the good times in hindsight. He's brought something incredible to the club, but maybe how temporary it all is what will stop it going sour; ala Wenger at Arsenal, or even Mourinho at Chelsea.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Unfortunately, I think he would see a satisfactory legacy as 1. getting us back in the Premiership. 2. Keeping us there in the first season. Staying any longer, with the risk of relegation or continuous bottom half finishes, would significantly diminish that legacy. It may well come down to what funds are available to significantly strengthen the squad.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Unfortunately, I think he would see a satisfactory legacy as 1. getting us back in the Premiership. 2. Keeping us there in the first season. Staying any longer, with the risk of relegation or continuous bottom half finishes, would significantly diminish that legacy. It may well come down to what funds are available to significantly strengthen the squad.
Completely agree with this, sadly, and even more so without a crowd at the moment, I think Bielsa will leave at the end of the season if we stay up.

He might, just might, give us season 2021/2022, but I doubt it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I've a feeling this could well be his last job before retirement.

That said haven't a clue when that will be as I do believe he likes working with the powers that be here.
Of course it could be this season, he could go on we will have to wait and see because we will never 2nd guess what he is thinking.

As for backing him in the transfer market I don't think is an issue, the players he wants are ones he feels he can improve. He wouldn't want to work with the ego fuelled types that cost silly amounts (Pogba, Ibravanivich, etc)
Yes of course he will slowly add players but they will be such as Koch & Raphina that will increae in value during their time here.

He is a coach that wants to improve players and the team by his methods, he wants players with the attitude to buy into his theories and work ethics.
He doesn't want to be at a Club that gets the cheque book out every time things go wrong, he wants to build a future by improving things and eliminating errors, its the right way, I believe in it.

I also look at our Under23 signings to further convince me we are building for both the present and the future.

Marcelo Bielsa should make us all proud of been Leeds fans and I think he does.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:Ibravanivich
Big Ron rides again :wave:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:Ibravanivich
Big Ron rides again :wave:
:lol:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote: I also look at our Under23 signings to further convince me we are building for both the present and the future.
Yes our U-23's are a great watch playing the Bielsa system, some excellent long term investments.

I was quite put out when Carlos Corberan went to dog botherers, but at least he'd be local should Bielsa call it a day and would provide significant continuity, perhaps aided by Pablo Hernandez.
Last edited by mapperleywhite on 12 Dec 2020, 10:26, edited 1 time in total.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

The problem I have with the Bielsa reign is that Im not enjoying it quite as much as I should because Im already dreading/in mourning for the day he leaves us, its kind of I dont want to enjoy it too much because I know it will end, probably suddenly, probably without a slide downhill. I f8nd it hard to enjoy the moment because I know we cant keep it forever.

Having said that he is a man of the people, a football purist, and I dont think he will leave until we have a full house back at ER, just so he experiences the fans one more time, and we the fans get to experience Bielsaball, passion, and thank him for his achievements one more time.