Staying up

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Staying up

Post by NottinghamWhite »

At the start of the season my expectations weren’t very high just to avoid relegation is all I wanted in the league. We’re proving our squad isn’t good enough to be challenging for the top 10. I’m hoping the Blunts, West Brom & Fulham are the 3 clubs booking the relegation slots & we get the chance to strengthen the squad in the summer.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Staying up

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You forgot Burnley.
Yes, they're more established, but so what ?
That squad has stagnated and you can't do that in this division.

Not sure Newcastle will continue as well as they've started either so they could slide down the table too.

I'm sure we'll stay up. Maybe not by much, but that doesn't really matter in the greater scheme of things, does it ?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Yep forgot Burnley who in all honesty have stayed in the Premiership much longer than I thought they would, all credit to Sean Dyche. So that’s 4 teams we need to do better than. Newcastle have a lot of injuries at the moment & Ashley thought he had new buyers lined up whether that’s causing problems is any ones guess.

I’d like a cup run as it’s a long time since the last one in 1972.
Winner of the Europa League
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Yeah, a cup run would be great. Long overdue as well.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

After looking at the Hammers game I'm not sure if it is confidence, ability, or we have been sussed

We've had some good games with promise, even in defeat and walked away with credibility - Don't want to do a Villa and walk the season on a tight rope and get free on the last day of the season, JUST - The Burnley + W Brom games are now looking like a 6 pointer (each), already and we need to keep our distance from them - A draw might end up been acceptable - But no way can drop 3 points to them

Before the season I was hoping for 45/50 points and a 10-15 league position - Then build from there - I don't like the defeat against Chelsea but you accept it, based on their current position/ability etc - But last night was a bad kick in the groin and I feel to many issues need attention, in the little time available before we play Newcastle - We've done it before, last year after New Year against Brentford, after a poor Dec run, and again after the lockdown restart - So we can show character - But character in defeat against Liverpool is fine and credible, but character and defeat against the likes of West Ham is frustrating and deflating

Given the choice of only 1 player to arrive in the Jan window, then I'd want a midfield player who can carry the ball and boss the centre of the park, and play ahead of KP on the pitch, yet drop alongside to tackle when required - Enter the opposition penalty box and ask questions - Even shoot from 18/20 yards - A Gerrard style of player and/or a younger Pablo - Other positions and we have options + cover, even if not perfect - But a good running midfield player to boss the game is missing

Can't even think about relegation can we - We'd be a laughing stock to the many fans who hate us - Let alone the thought that Bielsa quits and walks

Need to get back to the spirit, character etc we saw against Villa, Everton, Arsenal and even Man City
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve had us 12th to 16th since the start of the season, and don’t see any reason to change that opinion, although I think it’ll be closer to 16th than 12th (injuries to Koch and Llorente don’t help). As Elland Road starts getting full again, home results will improve too.

There are certainly 3 clubs worse than us, Sheffield United, Fulham, West Brom, Burnley, Villa (they are starting to slip now) and I’d maybe include Brighton and Newcastle too.

Interesting thread to revisit at the end of the season.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

3 years ago we were losing mid table games in the Championship, we're now where we all wanted to be nobody said it was going to be easy and it isn’t. Radz has had a taste of life at the top table and can’t believe he isn’t seeing the team need strengthening either in January or the summer, if we avoid relegation. We had some good early results which gave us some false hope but now we are seeing a truer picture. I believe there are half a dozen teams worse than us and fully expect we will stay up. Keep the faith.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I think we will be ok. I went for a top 10 finish and it's still possible if we get the spark back but it's a big call.
17th or above and I'll be happy.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Personally not worried too much about relegation as really can't see any of the bottom 4 (Blunts, Fulham, West Brom or Burnley) overtaking us.
They are already a few points behind us and as we know points are hard to come by at the bottom. Making 7 or 8 points back on the trot requires 3 wins on the bounce and it doesn't happen to often with lower sides (Fulham have taken 6 points in their last 5 games). It also assumes we are getting nothing during that period they put a run together.
Also it doesn't just require one of them to do it, two have to pass us.

For the above to happen the mentioned teams will need to get a good few victories against the batch of us above them (Us, Newcastle,, Brighton, Villa & Arsenal), that in turn will drag others into the relegation battle.

Think the best 5 teams are starting to rumble and can't see many of the teams in the bottom half getting much against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Spurs & Man Utd.
The next few teams again I would say don't expect the relegation candidates to get much, I'm talking Leicester, Southampton, Wolves & West Ham. Yes I include West Ham in that as they have slipped under the radar following a iffy start with two poor defeats. Since that start they have lost to Liverpool & Man Utd but drawn with Man City & Spurs and stuffed both Wolves & Leicester. Add done their job against Us, Blunt, Fulham & Villa.
Why yesterday although disappointing isn't a result we should panic too much about.

Only teams I've not mentioned are Everton & Palace who I see as genuine mid table and 3 points from 6 isn't a disaster.

Think BB calls it right 12th to 16th is reasonable first season up, yes aim higher but perfectly decent. He also makes the point about home crowds and I agree it will help us once allowed.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Staying up was definitely the main aim and we can be at the very least satisfied if we do that, which I think we will. The only problem with finishing just outside the relegation places though is that it hardly screams to better quality players that this is the place to be. If we want to attract good players to allow us to progress then the higher we can finish the better. These upcoming games with Newcastle, Burnley, West Brom etc. are crucial.