Statistics

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Statistics

Post by johnh »

An article in the Telegraph Sport today looks at the record for the lowest number of points for a team relegated from the Premiership. This is held by Derby with 11 points but could be broken by Sheffield United this season.
This reminded me that this record was once held by Leeds United. I think it was the first season after the war? Leeds were relegated with 18 points (2 points for a win). This 'record' stood for quite a few years.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:An article in the Telegraph Sport today looks at the record for the lowest number of points for a team relegated from the Premiership. This is held by Derby with 11 points but could be broken by Sheffield United this season.
This reminded me that this record was once held by Leeds United. I think it was the first season after the war? Leeds were relegated with 18 points (2 points for a win). This 'record' stood for quite a few years.
Just reading about it and the interesting thing about that (was 46/47) that the previous season we were in something called FL Northern section which I'm assuming the country was split because of the war. We also finished bottom (22nd) in that league with 25pts so how on earth did we get put in division one ?

Can you shed any light on how it worked John ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I could be very wrong but the 1938/39 season was stopped after 3/4 games and we were at that time still in the first division so surely on that basis when it re-started after the war we would continue in that division? (Not for long though).
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote:I could be very wrong but the 1938/39 season was stopped after 3/4 games and we were at that time still in the first division so surely on that basis when it re-started after the war we would continue in that division? (Not for long though).
Thanks Mr R that would make sense :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:I could be very wrong but the 1938/39 season was stopped after 3/4 games and we were at that time still in the first division so surely on that basis when it re-started after the war we would continue in that division? (Not for long though).
Thanks Mr R that would make sense :thumbup:
Yes, I was just about to post this when I saw that Mr R had posted it. All the inter-war football was 'unofficial' so the pre-war end positions were the start point for the first post-war tournaments.
I once played against Don Revie.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

Looks like The Blunts have got there best chance of a win tonight !!!
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

johnh wrote:An article in the Telegraph Sport today looks at the record for the lowest number of points for a team relegated from the Premiership. This is held by Derby with 11 points but could be broken by Sheffield United this season.
Derby only won one game: Against Newcastle! I can see Sheffield United on the path to “make a Derby”. (If they can get another 6 points) :D :D
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

So far we've W7D2L8 and it does seem likely that we will not draw many games this season. I have a predictor graph where results are based on the position of the opposition in the table, but had us having far too man draws, so given it a tweak

The 53pt that we are hugging at the moment has us W16D5L17 for the season, which may well be fairly close to what it is. Are style of play does mean we will win or lose rather than draw games. If it continues like that then we could have amassed enough points by the three-quarters stage of the season to ease the worries of the most doubtful fan.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

John Dane wrote:
Derby only won one game: Against Newcastle! I can see Sheffield United on the path to “make a Derby”. (If they can get another 6 points) :D :D
Well they seem to believe they can escape relegation rather than be looking to get lower than Derby did. If Wilder did it, surely that would be seen as the miracle of the season.

They are on 0.28PPG and would need 1.5PPG for the rest of the season to get to 35pts and if that might not then be enough.

Is it likely? In 2014-15 Leicester were on 10pts after 18 games rooted to the bottom of the table and 6 points from safety. An impressive 31 points in the final 20 games meant they finished 6 points above the relegation zone.

I doubt it would happen, but could you imaging the likes of Brighton, Burnley, and Newcastle who are hoping they'll survive because the relegation spots will be newly promoted teams and one promoted the season prior rather than them playing well.
GensanWhite
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by GensanWhite »

I don't think they will survive, I believe the season they had last year was excellent for what they achieved, but the weight of expectation for this season has got to them. besides the pressure of having another Yorkshire team at the top table has them choking :D