Statistics

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Statistics

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:I would prefer stats looking at our chances of finishing in the top 6.
Here you go John.
Personally think it'll be next season we can seriously consider top six but recent statistics show a few teams above are struggling so never know what could happen with a good run. :D
Never believe in giving up sport can throw up the unexpected.

Of the teams above us between 5th & 11th (we are 12th) over the last 5 games only 7th placed Everton (10pts) & 9th placed Arsenal (13pts) have accumulated more points than our 9 over the last 5 matches.
5th Liverpool 3pts
6th Spurs 8pts
8th Chelsea 5pts
10th Villa 4pts
11th Southampton 5pts

No team below us have gained more than us in the same period (Burnley achieved 9pts the same but are 7pts behind us).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Otherworld wrote:I love the detailed stats, but I like the elegance of simplicity too. I always used to think that, in the championship, over 2 points a game would get you promoted, 1.5 would get you a play-off place and under a point a game would see you going down. In the prem, it’s 1.5 points for a place in Europe.

Obviously it’s not an exact science, but it’s a good guide, I think.
Yes that is how I saw those exact numbers were my guide :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

This really illustrates how much fluctuation there has been in the league this season, other than the bottom 3.

https://twitter.com/_tomclarke/status/1 ... 58242?s=21
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Otherworld wrote:I love the detailed stats, but I like the elegance of simplicity too. I always used to think that, in the championship, over 2 points a game would get you promoted, 1.5 would get you a play-off place and under a point a game would see you going down. In the prem, it’s 1.5 points for a place in Europe.

Obviously it’s not an exact science, but it’s a good guide, I think.
In the Championship over 2PPG gets you promoted, in the Premier League it gets you a CL spot
In the Championship, 1.5 gets you a play off, in the Premier League it gets you into Europe
In the Championship under a point would see you go down, in the Premier League it's similar.

Not sure there is much difference either way. :eh:
Nic

Post by Nic »

So Liverpool and Sheffield United continue to be the teams with the biggest downturn when compared to last season. People may wonder how long Wilder will be in his job, but by all accounts it could be longer than Klopp is! West Ham and Villa are the most improved, with the latter having games in hand so the improvement may well be bigger once they are played.

What does this mean for Leeds? Well the teams below us are both doing worse than last season (the teams that were in the PL that is) and on the whole worse than the team that was in that spot last season. So really we should drop many places and if we do drop any it will probably be temporary.

The bottom three are consistently worse than the teams in those spots last season, so will they be the ones to go down, will there be a close call for 18th or remain a points gap of some sort?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

18pts in seven matches against bottom 6 teams is a great return.

I wonder if any other mid-table teams (7th Everton to 14th Palace) have such a good return against these teams ?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Ahead of todays game, and anticipating doom if we lose. So far we haven't gone more than two games with no points this season.

In Feb we have Everton who lost to Newcastle playing attacking football with fast players running into space. A good time for us to play them then.
Then we have Palace visiting, who have managed just 2 points in their last 4 away fixtures.

Following that we have Arsenal and then Wolves, both away games. Wolves have managed just 3 points (W0D3L5) in their last 8 games, which if it continues surely means a good time to play them.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:18pts in seven matches against bottom 6 teams is a great return.

I wonder if any other mid-table teams (7th Everton to 14th Palace) have such a good return against these teams ?
Everton won against all bottom 4 teams (lost twice to Newcastle though) so 13pts from 7 games
Villa won vs bottom 3 and also 13pts from 7 games
Arsenal have only played bottom six once, winning vs bottom 5, so 15pts
Chelsea similarly only played bottom six teams once, but a tally of 16pts from 6 games - drew with WBA
Southampton likewise 16pts from 6 games - drew with Fulham
Palace won v bottom 3, 10 points from 6 games
Wolves (W2D2L2) so 8 points.

So Chelsea and Southampton you could say have a better return, having not lost, and Arsenal similar to us. It's only that we've played 7 games and won both Newcastle games that makes ours higher.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Interesting article on Leeds’ running stats...

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... 5Q4_bAeTHk
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Courtesy of @LUFCDATA on Twitter

Also has anew website: https://www.lufcdata.com/

"Mateusz Klich completed more attacking third passes tonight than any other player involved (29). No player involved made more ball recoveries than him.

. #LUFC
Raphinha v Crystal Palace:

76 touches
40/53 succ. passes
20 sprints (Glowing star most on pitch)
18/27 final third passes
18 pressures
9 progressive ball carries
9 pen box touches
4 shots
2 on-target
4 duels won