January window

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: January window

Post by Leonickroberts »

SiMamu wrote:I hope that, if Roberts leaves, it's only on loan. There's a still a good player there. Like others, I'd also like a CM. My preference is Zinchenko, partly because of his versatility. I think that against Chelsea, Man Utd, and West Ham, our midfield was far too open, from playing Rodrigo in midfield. He's a second striker, whose natural tendency is to push closer to Bamford. I'd prefer for Rodrigo to play LW, and to then drift into the middle from there, with Alioski or Harrison playing as LWB, and pushing into the vacated space and holding the width. Behind them, would be the left CM, Zinchenko, who would cover the left and help Phillips and Klich in the middle, as well as providing some additional thrust from deep, when required.
Agree with all of this Si. I love Rodrigo as a player, and really glad the club took the chance to sign him instead of overspending on Benrahma or Watkins, but he's not a central midfielder. Would love to see him playing from the left, and suspect he'd get or contribute to a lot of goals, but we all know it's Harrison's spot to lose.

Zinchenko would be a phenomenal signing. City are apparently willing to let him leave, even though he looked good for them last season, but I'd imagine it'll be Wolves or abroad he'll end up at. I'd still love to see Riqui Puig at Leeds, although again I can see him going somewhere with European football. Less versatile than Zinchenko, and wouldn't be available until the summer, but could get him on a pre-contract now.

At the back, I'd rather sign a LB than a CB, given how well Ayling and Struijk are doing. Perhaps Tomori on loan, but so many Fat Frank/Chelsea/Derby links I'm not sure how much I'd actually want him.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Video on Youtube says that Forshaw will be sold..
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Video on Youtube says that Forshaw will be sold..
Unless someone is willing to take a huge gamble on his fitness, I can’t see that happening Sir John.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
johnh wrote:Video on Youtube says that Forshaw will be sold..
Unless someone is willing to take a huge gamble on his fitness, I can’t see that happening Sir John.
Feel sorry for him and all players that get long term injuries they must be so frustrated not to be able to kick a ball.
Think we've moved on and even if he does get fit I suspect he wouldn't get into our team now. Would however be an excellent Championship player for someone.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
blackbox2342

Post by blackbox2342 »

A few different rumours reported. Bielsa hasn't completely ruled out activity in January though Adam Pope said deal would need to be right.
BBC Sport say Leeds United are interested in signing Chelsea defender Fikayo Tomori this month, and and state that Elland Road is the ‘likeliest destination’ for the England international over the course of the next few weeks.
Leeds United are showing concrete interest in Mainz forward Jean-Philippe Mateta, who is being tracked by Victor Orta and his scouting team. (Football Insider)
The Whites continue to keep tabs on Fiorentina midfielder Erick Pulgar, with one Italian report claiming “‘Leeds’ proposal is interesting”. (La Nazione via Sport Witness)
According to Wales Online journalist Tom Coleman, 18-year-old Leeds United striker Sam Greenwood will be going nowhere this January, despite being linked to a host of Championship clubs, including Cardiff.

Described as one of the “hottest young prospects” at the club, the report goes on to say that Marcelo Bielsa “personally insisted” that Greenwood should stay and that he is close to a first-team breakthrough.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

blackbox2342 wrote:A few different rumours reported. Bielsa hasn't completely ruled out activity in January though Adam Pope said deal would need to be right.
According to Wales Online journalist Tom Coleman, 18-year-old Leeds United striker Sam Greenwood will be going nowhere this January, despite being linked to a host of Championship clubs, including Cardiff.

Described as one of the “hottest young prospects” at the club, the report goes on to say that Marcelo Bielsa “personally insisted” that Greenwood should stay and that he is close to a first-team breakthrough.
From what I've seen of Sam I think he's our long term replacement for Pablo, played as striker in U'23s when first come and bagged a few goals. Recently he's played the No10 role and looked outstanding.
I've no doubt he'll prove a excellent signing and would make sense to keep him here and develop him playing our system. I actually love the way the U'23s play just like the first team makes it easier for them to make the step up.

Would say same about a few their that we are confident will eventually progress to the first team, keep them here. The ones that should be loaned out are those we are not sure whether they'll make it or not.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
blackbox2342

Post by blackbox2342 »

Selby White wrote:
blackbox2342 wrote:A few different rumours reported. Bielsa hasn't completely ruled out activity in January though Adam Pope said deal would need to be right.

From what I've seen of Sam I think he's our long term replacement for Pablo, played as striker in U'23s when first come and bagged a few goals. Recently he's played the No10 role and looked outstanding.
I've no doubt he'll prove a excellent signing and would make sense to keep him here and develop him playing our system. I actually love the way the U'23s play just like the first team makes it easier for them to make the step up.

Would say same about a few their that we are confident will eventually progress to the first team, keep them here. The ones that should be loaned out are those we are not sure whether they'll make it or not.
Agree with this. Would like to see Sam feature on Sunday.
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

Personally not sure why we brought so many wide men, could do of unloading 1 (Costa) for instance , and getting in someone like cantwell, or brooks from Bournemouth. Not only play centre mid, they can also tackle ,and have an eye for a pass. But nothing will happen.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

whitedancer wrote:Personally not sure why we brought so many wide men, could do of unloading 1 (Costa) for instance , and getting in someone like cantwell, or brooks from Bournemouth. Not only play centre mid, they can also tackle ,and have an eye for a pass. But nothing will happen.
Really can't see us offloading Costa after shelling out quite a sum on him. Not unless we can recoup the fee we paid Wolves for him anyway. Who's gonna pay upwards of £15m in the current climate? especially as he's not a regular starter anymore. We'll just have to hope he gets some sort of form going again but he hasn't really delivered what we all hoped when he signed for us that's for sure. Raphinha has grasped his chance and it's his place to lose now. I was discussing this very subject with my son the other day and we both agreed he's been quite a standout since he took that spot on the wing from Costa. We also reckon there'll be more to come from him. Re the January window I can't see there'll be a lot of comings and goings. MB likes to work with a small squad and introduces the young lads from our own academy slowly. Even when we have major injuries there's no panicking, just a reshuffle here, a tweak there and if that's the way he likes to work that's good enough for me. I would like another midfielder and striker though lol.
dunboyne white
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by dunboyne white »

I'd like to see Raphinha tried at 10 on Sunday.

With Harrison, Costa and Poveda for the wide positions it would be interesting to see how he does in our "problem" slot.