Who are LEEDS best wonderkids right now?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
CaveMan
Giddy Kipper

Who are LEEDS best wonderkids right now?

Post by CaveMan »

Who has Leeds got down in the U23s who are knocking on the door this season or next for a run in the first team?
(Gave up on football after Leeds drowned in the lower leagues. So I'm not up to speed with the EPL nor Leeds anymore)
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Who are LEEDS best wonderkids right now?

Post by ChilwellWhite »

We’ve a lot of good youngsters at the moment. The stand outs for me are Sam Greenwood, Joe Gelhardt, Charlie Cresswell, Jack Jenkins, Oliver Casey and Leif Davis. We of course have young players in the first team squad namely Ilan Meslier ( 20) Jamie Shackleton ( 21 ) Ian Poveda ( 20 ) and Tyler Roberts ( 21 ) Personally I’m excited about the future we have some real talent emerging. I think the stand out talents are Greenwood and Gelhardt.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'll add Struijk (21) to Chillys list to those now considered first team squad.

The list of potential really does seem endless the U23's are looking as good a batch as when the likes of Kewell, Woodgate and company broke through, top of their section and if interested plenty of their games are on Youtube.

Highlights of the last outing -
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I personally believe Sam Greenwood is on the verge of his debut, maybe even in this weekend’s cup game. I still can’t believe Arsenal let him go.
Winner of the Europa League
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

CaveMan wrote:Gave up on football after Leeds drowned in the lower leagues...
Good of you to come back, now that we’re back in the premier league! :roll:
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Trying to predict who comes through is a precarious pastime. A year ago, I would have predicted that Bogusz and Gotts would have broken through: Kun played against Derby in the playoffs but a few months later was out on loan. All youngsters need an opportunity and a long run in order to progress. That’s why I would back giving Meslier and Stujik game time as it will benefit us in the long run.
CanuckMightyWhite
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by CanuckMightyWhite »

I think these 2 can be touted as ones with a lot of potential over and above the ones mentioned earlier:
1. Nohan Kenneh (17) Defensive MF, perhaps can be converted to CB too a la Struijk.
2. Crysencio Summerville (19) RW
Aqua-
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Aqua- »

gilesdriveby wrote:Trying to predict who comes through is a precarious pastime. A year ago, I would have predicted that Bogusz and Gotts would have broken through: Kun played against Derby in the playoffs but a few months later was out on loan. All youngsters need an opportunity and a long run in order to progress. That’s why I would back giving Meslier and Stujik game time as it will benefit us in the long run.
Well thats what loans are for isn't it? I'd say that those players are sent to loan because they are highly rated, but not yet good enough to break into first team.
PL 2 is a nice competition, but there's a difference between playing in training grounds with 17 yo and playing with senior squad members in a truly competitive league (usually with audience). experience talks
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Aqua- wrote:
gilesdriveby wrote:Trying to predict who comes through is a precarious pastime. A year ago, I would have predicted that Bogusz and Gotts would have broken through: Kun played against Derby in the playoffs but a few months later was out on loan. All youngsters need an opportunity and a long run in order to progress. That’s why I would back giving Meslier and Stujik game time as it will benefit us in the long run.
Well thats what loans are for isn't it? I'd say that those players are sent to loan because they are highly rated, but not yet good enough to break into first team.
PL 2 is a nice competition, but there's a difference between playing in training grounds with 17 yo and playing with senior squad members in a truly competitive league (usually with audience). experience talks
On that note we do have some talented youngsters out on loan, does anyone know how the likes of Jordan Stevens, Alfie McCalmont, Robbie Gotts and Mateusz Bogusz are performing ?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I personally believe Sam Greenwood is on the verge of his debut, maybe even in this weekend’s cup game. I still can’t believe Arsenal let him go.
I am rooting for the other striker in Joe Gelhardt. Something in him oozes me with hope he will run the line for us for long time. His built and speed is something that will benefit him alot and could alraedy go toe to toe against PL defenders. He is left footed and able to play both striker and right winger if needed. He maybe lacks that killer striker instict that Greenwood has, so somewhat they complete eachother.

Dream would be they both with Greenwood to continue their development and be deadly duo in the making and take over from Bamfrord in few years. There can be legimate claim we can have same aged fowards coming through that have potential for England national team.

Having these two is the reason I feel that Tyler should be sold and make the door open for these two lads for bench.