51 Years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

51 Years ago

Post by NottinghamWhite »

51 years ago today...For the only time in the the clubs history, the famous 11 started together in a 2-0 FA Cup at home to Mansfield Town. Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.

Still the most amazing Leeds United there is as far as I’m concerned. I was there that day so saw that fabled team actually play.
Winner of the Europa League
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 51 Years ago

Post by Wigan White »

The fact that the "famous 11" only started together once really does show how good Paul Madeley was.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

It’s a fact ain’t it ask any Leeds fan to name the Revie Boys & that’s the starting X1 they’ll quote you ;)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:51 years ago today...For the only time in the the clubs history, the famous 11 started together in a 2-0 FA Cup at home to Mansfield Town. Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, Gray.

Still the most amazing Leeds United there is as far as I’m concerned. I was there that day so saw that fabled team actually play.
As you say, ask anyone to name the famous Revie Leeds team and that's what gets rhymed off (me included) but I bet not many would guess the number of times that side was fielded. I wouldn't have got it until a short time ago.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

NottinghamWhite wrote:It’s a fact ain’t it ask any Leeds fan to name the Revie Boys & that’s the starting X1 they’ll quote you ;)

:lol: :lol: Beat me to it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Just for the record I believe Mick Bates was sub that day.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

I'm sure someone somewhere knows what was the most used lineup over those years.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
bedfordwhites
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by bedfordwhites »

I Think also the versatility of Paul Madeley, has seen him wear the number 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,shirt through
his career with Leeds also. Great Player. MOT.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Wigan White wrote:The fact that the "famous 11" only started together once really does show how good Paul Madeley was.
Madeley was automatic replacement for injuries to Reaney, Cooper, Charlton, Hunter, and Gray.
Many times he was selected ahead of Gray for tough away games, playing deeper, in those games a draw was worth a lot more than it is now, with only 2 points for a win, a draw at Anfield or in London was a victory.
With only one sub allowed, Madeley would also come on as a tactical sub to protect a lead, or in the case of injury to a forward would allow Giles, Bremmner to play a bit further forward.
Madeley was also selected for England at right back,ahead of Paul Reaney, at that time he couldn't get an automatic start for Leeds.
I'm pretty sure he would have done a good job in goal as well.
That's how much he was rated in the football world.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Saxon wrote:
Wigan White wrote:The fact that the "famous 11" only started together once really does show how good Paul Madeley was.
Madeley was automatic replacement for injuries to Reaney, Cooper, Charlton, Hunter, and Gray.
Many times he was selected ahead of Gray for tough away games, playing deeper, in those games a draw was worth a lot more than it is now, with only 2 points for a win, a draw at Anfield or in London was a victory.
With only one sub allowed, Madeley would also come on as a tactical sub to protect a lead, or in the case of injury to a forward would allow Giles, Bremmner to play a bit further forward.
Madeley was also selected for England at right back,ahead of Paul Reaney, at that time he couldn't get an automatic start for Leeds.
I'm pretty sure he would have done a good job in goal as well.
That's how much he was rated in the football world.
We could have only potentially played our first choice team in 3 seasons.
Allan Clarke only signed prior to the 69/70 season and Gary Sprake had lost his place by the 72 Cup final.
During those 3 seasons both Cooper & Reaney had long periods out with broken legs at separate times.
Gray had lots of injury issues mainly due to a shoulder problem.

Wonder how many times we played with 10 of the fabled 11?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.