51 Years ago

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: 51 Years ago

Post by Clarke One Nil »

I refer to the classic line-up as Paul Madeley plus any ten from Sprake, Reaney, Cooper, Bremner, Charlton, Hunter, Lorimer, Clarke, Jones, Giles, and Gray.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

David Harvey took over in goal from the FA Cup final replay and from that point onwards my classic 11 plus one was with Harvey and Madeley included.

Gary Sprake never made the same impression on me somehow.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:David Harvey took over in goal from the FA Cup final replay and from that point onwards my classic 11 plus one was with Harvey and Madeley included.

Sprake missed the 70 replay due to knee injury but was still first choice for next couple of seasons until Harvey took over late 71/72 season.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I played for Leeds United Supporters Club in the Leeds Sunday League for a couple of seasons (early 1960's). We used to play our matches on the training pitch behind the main stand. Halfway through the season, Leeds United decided that the pitch was getting too much wear, so we had to find another pitch. We were given a temporary pitch on some park, can't remember where, but it was a really crap pitch. We played half the season on that pitch but for most games we had one spectator. Gary Sprake hardly missed a game, him and his dog.
I once played against Don Revie.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Selby White wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:David Harvey took over in goal from the FA Cup final replay and from that point onwards my classic 11 plus one was with Harvey and Madeley included.

Sprake missed the 70 replay due to knee injury but was still first choice for next couple of seasons until Harvey took over late 71/72 season.
Yes I do know that David Harvey came on the scene a little later but for some reason I never took to Gary Sprake as I did to the others who have become legends in my minds eye. I don't know why. Can't remember any spectacular displays from him but I do recall some calamitous errors. Harvey on the other hand did seem to me to have some cracking games but perhaps memories are playing tricks. I have nothing against Gary Sprake though and perhaps it because he was the goalkeeper and not to the fore as the outfield players were?
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Yes I do know that David Harvey came on the scene a little later but for some reason I never took to Gary Sprake as I did to the others who have become legends in my minds eye. I don't know why. Can't remember any spectacular displays from him but I do recall some calamitous errors. Harvey on the other hand did seem to me to have some cracking games but perhaps memories are playing tricks. I have nothing against Gary Sprake though and perhaps it because he was the goalkeeper and not to the fore as the outfield players were?
Sprake was a brilliant keeper but the errors always seemed to be in high profile matches, saying that it numbers no more than 4 or 5 errors (challenge anyone to name more) in a 300+ match history.
Don't get me wrong Harvey was also good but definately behind Sprake until 71/72 when GS for some reason started to look nervous/loss confidence between the sticks and was rightly replaced.
When we beat a very good Ferencvaros to win our first European trophy, won 1-0 at home and drew 0-0 in the 2nd leg in front of 70,000 Hungarians Sprake was awesome in both legs, probably his prime around that time.

For the record the home Leg we fielded the fabled 11 with the exception of Allan Clarke who wasn't signed at that stage, Paul Madeley played at No8.
2nd leg O'Grady & Hibbitt replaced Gray & Giles.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Gary Sprake was a big, athletic keeper capable of brilliance. I've heard it said that we wouldn't have won our first European trophy (the Fairs Cup in '68) but for Sprake, who was apparently tremendous in the final against Ferencváros. Apparently, he was an outstanding keeper as a youngster.

Obviously though, Gary Sprake also made some spectacular errors - for which he is unfortunately remembered - and Revie probably persevered with Sprake for too long. Funny thing, we still got a lot of money for Gary Sprake when we eventually sold him on to Birmingham City.

Sprake was, by the way, ostracised by the rest of Revie's squad after he made accusations in the national press about Don Revie trying to bribe opposition teams in the 1960s.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Westminster wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Gary Sprake was a big, athletic keeper capable of brilliance. I've heard it said that we wouldn't have won our first European trophy (the Fairs Cup in '68) but for Sprake, who was apparently tremendous in the final against Ferencváros. Apparently, he was an outstanding keeper as a youngster.

Obviously though, Gary Sprake also made some spectacular errors - for which he is unfortunately remembered - and Revie probably persevered with Sprake for too long. Funny thing, we still got a lot of money for Gary Sprake when we eventually sold him on to Birmingham City.

Sprake was, by the way, ostracised by the rest of Revie's squad after he made accusations in the national press about Don Revie trying to bribe opposition teams in the 1960s.
This is one of the joys of posting on this forum. You get nuggets of information and people's thoughts and memories as well as a decent commentary on current events and affairs associated with our beloved football club :clap: :clap: :clap:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Pitch needed watering :D

Noticed the team in the programme was expecting Madeley at no11 not Gray, mind you thinking back it rarely got the team right.