LUFC in Europe?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

LUFC in Europe?

Post by mapperleywhite »

Last night's comfortable win against CP was highly enjoyable, so I would judge the established core of the team - Phillips, Dallas, Coops, Ayling, Alioski, Harrison, Klich and Bamford - are in a good moment.

Add in Rapinha, Meslier and Struijk and we can only climb the table.

So, do we want it??
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LUFC in Europe?

Post by Selby White »

In reality can't see us making it this season but if we did then yes of course go for it, can't pick and choose these things.

Saying that I fully expect us to be in contention next year given that we've improved each season under MB why not again ?

Squad would need more depth as more matches = more injuries/suspensions.

As I've said before I don't want a glut of signings of similar standard (5* £10/£15mill players) would prefer one or two of real quality (£30mill+) that are better than what we have (maybe add a couple of Orta bargain bucket gambles also).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Amazing how you don't hear a word against Orta anymore, isn't it ?

Even once the documentary came out there was still flack flying his way but when you see how much he cares, how well connected he is AND the astounding talent he's dug up from the depths of Europe I'd be stunned if any fans felt that way today. The three of them running the club (AR, Orta & Kinnear) have done an absolutely mind-blowing job in such a short space of time and they have a definite plan.

I think for the next five years we'll be a selling club along the lines of Dortmund : even when Bielsa goes, they'll have a coach ready to take over who agrees with their philosophy of buying high-grade but raw talent, polishing them into first class internationals then selling them on for massive profits to fund the next churn of the squad.

If the plan maximises the potential of the club then AR could well ride all the way to the elite level with us, or if the 49ers are serious or if the club gets sold we'll get there eventually.

I wouldn't want to splurge on one or two big names as that would not only upset the balance of the team - side before self, the Bielsa "family" - and, maybe more importantly, it would push us to another level financially.
I'd guess that right now we've got one of the lowest wage bills in the division - bottom 3 or 4, I would say - as a lot of our players were on mid-table Championship salaries. Bringing in Raph from Ligue 1 won't have been too big a disparity - especially as he came from Rennes and not PSG/Lyon/Marseilles - and likewise Koch and Llorente from their respective mid-table clubs in Germany and Spain.

For me, I absolutely 100% prefer doing things organically with good coaching, good scouting and an organised structure with an over-arching plan for the club rather than being bought by a sheik and then spaffing too much money on too little talent.

Hunger.
Desire.
Team spirit.
Grit.
Determination.

That's what we're about and long may it continue.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
I wouldn't want to splurge on one or two big names as that would not only upset the balance of the team - side before self, the Bielsa "family" - and, maybe more importantly, it would push us to another level financially.
But we've already spent in the £30mill+ price range with Rodrigo.

If we have a transfer budget around say £60mill to £70mill would much rather sign two of that value and not 4 £15mill that are no better than what we have (think JKA).
Yes if Orta can uncover gems to add such as Raphinha I also said its also worth a odd gamble, I trust him but some will work and some will fail.
That is based on getting us and competing in Europe as per this thread, next season to get there is what I want the aim to be.

I do agree I like the way we are going and don't want to be like those Clubs that feel they need to sign a £80mill player (mention no names) every time they lose. I believe in coaching to improve, if things go wrong you correct them by working on the training ground.

The biggest issue in signing players is signing too many and find they don't fit in. Appreciate occasionally you have to, some can only go so far and others get old so to move forward you will have some positions that need strengthening but only with players that are likely to buy into the Clubs philosophy.
In an ideal world the U'23s should progress and some will, others wont but I'm more than happy if a player (or two) can establish themselves in the 1st team squad from that route each season (last season Meslier, this Struijk). Again think Orta as done well with his recruitment here.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

We don't want (need) Europe for a couple of seasons. Next season is key to surviving in the Premiership. Teams will have sussed us out, it will be a lot harder. What we don't need are loads of trips to far flung east European countries on a Thursday night, on top of a hard domestic season.
I once played against Don Revie.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

johnh wrote:We don't want (need) Europe for a couple of seasons. Next season is key to surviving in the Premiership. Teams will have sussed us out, it will be a lot harder. What we don't need are loads of trips to far flung east European countries on a Thursday night, on top of a hard domestic season.
I don't agree, John. I know where you are coming from in regards to teams understanding how we play etc etc but that's the same for all the teams in the division. What we have, is a very authentic way of playing attacking football. We don't alter our way or style of playing as MB won't do that, he's arrogant in his philosophies and approach and because of that, we can aim higher next season. I could name at least 8 teams in this division who alter their style depending on who they play against, sometimes it works but seldom does.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SW, I forgot about Rodrigo... wonder why?
TelfordLeeds
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by TelfordLeeds »

I can't see how we will be ready for European football soon due to the high energy football we play as the squad is just not big enough. Wolves had a similar sized squad, with an ideal starting eleven, which is similar to our setup. Their style of football though is completely different, often taking a dozen passes to get to the halfway line, hoping to nick a 1-0 win. There is definitely a 2nd year syndrome that many teams suffer in the Premier and there is a real possibility that this could happen to us next year, especially if Bielsa left. I am happy living in the "current" at the moment, enjoying every minute of watching them, albeit being a poor substitute to actually being at Elland Road. Consolidate next year and aim for a European spot the following year works for me. You can't beat European nights at ER, as many of us older ones already know, but a little patience may be required.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Didn’t AR say something along the lines of 3 seasons of premiership stability, before we even think about European football ?. As much as I want European nights at ER asap, I think that’s pretty much about right, staying in the Premiership is absolutely vital.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

DominanceUK wrote:
johnh wrote:We don't want (need) Europe for a couple of seasons. Next season is key to surviving in the Premiership. Teams will have sussed us out, it will be a lot harder. What we don't need are loads of trips to far flung east European countries on a Thursday night, on top of a hard domestic season.
I don't agree, John. I know where you are coming from in regards to teams understanding how we play etc etc but that's the same for all the teams in the division. What we have, is a very authentic way of playing attacking football. We don't alter our way or style of playing as MB won't do that, he's arrogant in his philosophies and approach and because of that, we can aim higher next season. I could name at least 8 teams in this division who alter their style depending on who they play against, sometimes it works but seldom does.
The way we play (100 mph for 90 minutes) then extra European games (could be 6+) plus risk of injury, will take its toll, particularly with a small squad. We don't need anything but consolidating our position in the Premiership next season. Then we can look at where we want to be.
I once played against Don Revie.