Peter Lorimer & Mick Bates

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Peter Lorimer

Post by guitarmark »

I'm not even sure when I became a Leeds fan - I moved to Yorkshire as a kid in 67 aged 7 - I dare say it came from the parks and play grounds as dad was not into sport - My first game I fully recall was the Chelsea cup final - So I was brought up on the Revie era - As a kid I thought I could play on the wing, so in many ways Eddie and Peter were my 2 biggest hero's of a team packed full of hero's - I named my dog, Billy (a scuffy white dog with some ginger) - So I have many memories of Peter - Best wishes to him family and friends
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Mick Bates is seriously ill too I hear. :-(

I did not hear about Peter or Mick's illness on any news platform apart from on here (I'm not on twitter) so you would have thought this would be reported? :think:

Mick's news was from here.

https://www.ja606.co.uk/articles/viewArticle/432012

Peter's top 20 classic strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmxjr2rvK4
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Yes I’ve also read Mick is very ill. Great utility player in his day, loyal servant to the club. These are hard enough times without all of this.

God bless.
Winner of the Europa League
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Peter Lorimer & Mick Bates

Post by Westminster »

It's hard to get your head around, I know, but Revie's boys are leaving us.

Sprake, Madeley, Cherry, Charlton, Hunter, Bremner, Collins, Storrie and Hibbitt have gone already, and the great John Charles of course played under Don Revie for a short time too. It looks like Lorimer and Bates will be next and we've had the bad news on Gordon McQueen this week as well.

It's all so chastening, very sobering. Tell you what though, some squad God's putting together there.

RIP boys, thanks for the memories.
psquithy

Post by psquithy »

Metro1962 wrote:Mick Bates is seriously ill too I hear. :-(

I did not hear about Peter or Mick's illness on any news platform apart from on here (I'm not on twitter) so you would have thought this would be reported? :think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmxjr2rvK
I enjoyed that but noticed that quite a few of the 20 goals we were playing in red or dark on black and white film.

When did we wear red? It may have been before my time as I don't remember it - or maybe my memory is going.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

psquithy wrote:
Metro1962 wrote:Mick Bates is seriously ill too I hear. :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmxjr2rvK
I enjoyed that but noticed that quite a few of the 20 goals we were playing in red or dark on black and white film.

When did we wear red? It may have been before my time as I don't remember it - or maybe my memory is going.
Yes we did wear Red for a short time, sometimes Red shirts and white shorts, sometimes all red. There was an odd game too when we wore an all orange strip, think it may have been at Stoke City but that was instantly dumped can't remember why but someone older than me will know. I collect footage of Leeds United on video so I have clips of us in all sorts of colours. Don't think the orange one was televised though I've seen pictures of it.
Best wishes to Peter and Mick and to their families, very sad times again indeed.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

corkleedsmot wrote:I wasn't a Leeds fan until 1990 so a bit after his time but watched videos on leeds from 60's-80's like 500 times on VHS as a kid my dad had bought me and he and Eddie Gray were my favourite players. I was in awe of those players and as I watched even for the 499th time I always hoped they would get the European cup they deserved but alas they never did. Sad news in a terrible year off the pitch for the club all round. Best wishes to the mans family.
Legend is thrown around too much these days. good players get confused with the likes of Lorimer.
My story is very similar to that. Think I watched Leeds United Glory Years (the BBC one with John Motson narrating) every day of the summer holidays in 1990 when I was just shy of my 9th birthday. I remember thinking how brilliant it must have been to support Leeds at that time and watch great players like Giles, Gray, Bremner and of course Lorimer. He scored some astonishing goals. Very sad news about his illness and thoughts to his family.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

This is my third attempt at replying to this thread. Decided I just can't put into words what I want to say.

Good thoughts and wishes to Pete, Gordon and their families...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

More bad and distressing news about players from that wonderful period. Best wishes to Peter and Mick and to their families.
bedfordwhites

Post by bedfordwhites »

Such Sad news. :( . keep on fighting. MOT.