Peter Lorimer & Mick Bates

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Peter Lorimer & Mick Bates

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Sadly this is all a little premature but it’s the internet at its worst in my humble. No one on here to blame but sadly it was given out last night on social media that Peter had passed. Meanwhile he will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay strong
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Peter Lorimer

Post by guitarmark »

Metro1962 wrote:Mick Bates is seriously ill too I hear. :-(

I did not hear about Peter or Mick's illness on any news platform apart from on here (I'm not on twitter) so you would have thought this would be reported? :think:

Mick's news was from here.

https://www.ja606.co.uk/articles/viewArticle/432012

Peter's top 20 classic strikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDmxjr2rvK4
Should have been 21 with the addition of infamous goal against Bayern Munich - And 22 if not for that big save my Jim in the FA Cup Final
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A thread on Lash, on DATM ( Huddersfield forum)

https://downatthemac.proboards.com/thre ... er-lorimer

No rivalry here just respect to a Legend. :clap:
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

The biggest surprise to me is Peter Lorimer only got 21 caps for Scotland - they must have had a couple of incredible players keeping him out of the team in his prime. And Eddie Gray only got 12 caps! ... can anyone shed any light on this?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leicester White wrote:The biggest surprise to me is Peter Lorimer only got 21 caps for Scotland - they must have had a couple of incredible players keeping him out of the team in his prime. And Eddie Gray only got 12 caps! ... can anyone shed any light on this?
Firstly there was nowhere near the number of fixtures that modern day football throws up, no need for international breaks. Secondly the Scotland side of the early 70’s was full of talented players such as Pete, Eddie, Charlie Cook, Jimmy (Jinky) Johnstone, Lennox, McCalliog, Graham, Gilzean, Law et al. I’ve said before on here the demise of Scottish football is incredible as back then they were a force to be reckoned with.
Winner of the Europa League
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Scotland played in World Cup final tournaments when only 16 teams qualified - and England was left out (74, 78).
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

All the best teams had Scottish players. Don Revie's Leeds had no less than seven Scots when they won the title in '74:

Bremner, Eddie Gray; Frank Gray; Harvey; Jordan; Lorimer; McQueen.
Paul ITFC
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Paul ITFC »

Westminster wrote:All the best teams had Scottish players. Don Revie's Leeds had no less than seven Scots when they won the title in '74:

Yes my Ipswich Town team that won the title in 1961/62 under Alf Ramsey had three in Baxter, Moran and Leadbetter despite the fact that Alf was supposedly not too fond of people from that part of the world and we had three more in Bobby Robson's great team of the early 1980's in Burley, Wark and Brazil.

As you say, all the best teams had Scots in them, probably for a period of about thirty years or more.

My thoughts remain with Peter Lorimer and Mick Bates-sad news regarding a former Liverpool great today too with the passing of Ian St John.
I do remember his goal in the 1965 F.A. Cup Final.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Westminster wrote:All the best teams had Scottish players. Don Revie's Leeds had no less than seven Scots when they won the title in '74:

Add Dave Stewart to that list joined in 73 in place of Sprake, played in Paris 75 and later got one cap for Scotland.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.