VAR doesn’t like us.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

VAR doesn’t like us.

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Will a VAR decision ever go our way ? It’s killing the game whilst the FA, UEFA etc watch on.

Winner of the Europa League
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: VAR doesn’t like us.

Post by DominanceUK »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Will a VAR decision ever go our way ? It’s killing the game whilst the FA, UEFA etc watch on.

Why are all VAR photos set on an angle? It baffles me so much. There is no way Costa is offside there, imo. I hate VAR but the refereeing standard in this country is very poor.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

DominanceUK wrote:
Why are all VAR photos set on an angle?
Are those angles from Sky TV or the actual tv monitor the ref sees?

Whenever I see a VAR decision about to be looked at somehow Sky or the BBC pop up a replay with lines that are not from the monitor the ref sees and the reason for that is when Sky or the BBC show the replay it is far too quick as the ref as not even go to the monitor yet!! :crazy:

The Bamford pointing was an hilarious/blunder decision but one that costed us. :thumbdown:
Last edited by Metro1962 on 10 Mar 2021, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

VAR is, quite ridiculously IMHO, trying to turn some footballing issues into a form of fine art and wanting to be meticulously precise which it simply can't be for football. Some things like goal line technology work as they should but issues like hand ball and offside will always be a matter of opinion. So there will be controversy. That's football and that is just how it is. VAR is not going to sort that FFS!

In the example of our last match it is judged that Costa's knee ( :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: ) has caused him to be deemed offside. It is just madness isn't it? Surely common sense should prevail. The Ref can't see everything and every angle. So VAR could help by determining if there is clear daylight between two torsos i.e. chest to waist. (forget about arms, legs, knees etc.) If there is then the decision can go one way or another. If there is not then the players are level and the attacker is onside

Even after the event or match do those in charge look at it and if they do do they really, really think that it was all OK? It just beggars belief. As I have said before VAR has not solved anything much and has just given us a variation on the theme of controversy.

VAR would be much better employed on checking on some of the blatant cheating that going on with diving and feigning injury to gain advantage. Retrospectively if necessary.
Keep The Faith / WAL
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Am I imagining it, or when the goal line technology is used, the camera angle is the norm (as in pics above), but when the decision is verified, the software can move/swing/span the 'camera angle' to above the crossbar...???
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

If they showed multiple angles to verify the decision, there probably wouldn't be as many complaints, but it's because they justify the decision by showing a low resolution image and drawing a thick line on it, so there is plenty of room for doubt and subjective interpretation.

We live in a world of UHD tv, but they seem to rely on SD VHS tapes and a 1990's graphics program to produce the image they put out.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Maybe they could introduced VAR+ This could look at the decisions that VAR1 missed out on and correct it!! :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another close decision last night had me celebrating way too early. When do you cheer a goal these days ? I’ll say it time & time again VAR is killing the game.

Winner of the Europa League
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

When Raphina scored against Fulham, I didn’t dare to cheer until the match was started again. I would prefere games without VAR and live with those few mistakes it would cost, players makes mistakes and so do referees, and every grown ups have accepted it as a part of the game!
Last edited by John Dane on 20 Mar 2021, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

John Dane wrote:When Raphina scored against Fulham, I didn’t dare to cheer before the match was started again. I would prefere games without VAR and live with those few mistakes it would cost, players makes mistakes and so do referees, and every grown ups have accepted it as a part of the game!
Absolutely spot on JD.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.