Leeds United vs Chelsea memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs Chelsea memories

Post by Davycc »

Leicester White wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Boxing Day 1990. A excellent 4-1 Christmas present a brace from Lee Chapman in a game from memory we dominated.
Yep, my first ever trip to ER, courtesy of my late, great Dad ... Strachan & Batty bossed it. Mike Whitlow's goal was the best. Remember reading Sgt Wilko's piece in the programme about The Harlem Globe trotters being pointless - it's about winning, not entertainment! But, boy were we entertaining that day.
I think MB swings the other way, yes it is about winning but my goodness lets entertain too.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

May 3rd 1997 Stamford Bridge, i was still playing football at 39 for East Preston FC whose chairman happened to be former Brighton chairman Greg Stanley who was also a Chelsea season ticket holder, he organised a day out with him, myself and my son whose was nine at the time, we had a meal before the game along side the players lounge, i managed to get a photo of my son with Zola who was such a gentleman, next Greg gave me the match day programme that he had had typed above the team sheets my name wishing Ruud Gullet and the boys good luck, after the game he arranged for my son to be presented a signed ball presented by Craig Burley and when asking him who his favourite Chelsea player was he replied that he was a Leeds fan, a great day from a very generous man who sadly is no longer with us.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Confession - When I reached my 14th birthday in 1972 I was just getting into music (was always sport for me) and my parents bought me my first record player. Of course you need something to play on it so they thought it would be a nice surprise to get a compilation LP with hits from that year on it to go with my present.
So I got a album called "20 Fantastic Hits"
Well if it wasn't embarrassing enough to have a couple of Donny Osmond songs on there (only girls bought his records) it got worse, fortunately i spotted track 20 before playing it "Blue is the colour" by Chelsea Football Club :shock: :oops:

Still have the album but got honestly say the last track is brand new, never been played :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just thinking about the 1970 replay & according to a modern day referee there would have been 11 red cards shown :D Managed to go to the final at Wembley & after someone called in sick was told at the 11th hour if I wanted to go the ticket & seat on the coach was mine. There was a big punch up near to the cricket ground between the two sets of fans, my mate & I managed to run down what is today Sir Matt Busby Way laughing as we ran. Never liked Chelsea from that day & my resolve was really tested when Ken Bates came to Leeds.
Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Selby White wrote:Confession - When I reached my 14th birthday in 1972 I was just getting into music (was always sport for me) and my parents bought me my first record player. Of course you need something to play on it so they thought it would be a nice surprise to get a compilation LP with hits from that year on it to go with my present.
So I got a album called "20 Fantastic Hits"
Well if it wasn't embarrassing enough to have a couple of Donny Osmond songs on there (only girls bought his records) it got worse, fortunately i spotted track 20 before playing it "Blue is the colour" by Chelsea Football Club :shock: :oops:

Still have the album but got honestly say the last track is brand new, never been played :D
You've made me feel so much better ... similar experience at 11 got a record player at 11 from my Mum & Dad and my 1st album - Musical Youth! Luckily my kids are in a world of instant downloads so i won't be inflicting similar embarrassment on them. :-)
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

My 1st ever memory of watching a Leeds game was in fact v Chelsea - The 1970 Cup Final - I was 10 - Watched at my gran's - I cried when it was 2v 2 with not long left - She rubbed my hair and said 'it doesn't matter it is only a game' - Crazy how I remember that - Loved my gran, but how wrong she was

Funnily enough I remember more of the Wembley match than the Old Trafford replay - Mum was not happy about me staying up late that night

Another one to recall Oct 25th 1988 - 0 v 0 - But recall it was Paul Robinson's debut - Late notice I recall for him and at the time we knew little of him - I was at the Revie Kop End and noticed a ball boy beat him with a poxy shot just before kick off and thought that was not a good omen - Just had a look at some info on this match - https://www.11v11.com/matches/leeds-uni ... 998-23806/ - must have been a right dirty match with 11 yellows and 1 red for Leboeuf - Looked like Chelsea were just starting to put a good side together then