Leeds United vs Chelsea memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs Chelsea memories

Post by Another Northern Soul »

We seemed to go a long stretch without playing Chelsea at all in the 70s but I haven't checked. I know they generally did for us in the Cup but we had the upper hand in league up till the 1980s I think. We were in Div 2 when meeting them then and I remember they had an exciting team and did pretty well in the cups as well. Players like Kerry Dixon, Pat Nevin, Clive Walker, stood out in attack. I seem to remember a great 3-3 draw here, when we really needed a win.

I remember when Abramovic arrived and he was splashing the cash on big name signings, often foreign imports, I thought it was exciting for the English game though it was also ominous for the future (IMO) for young English players. Now I think they're an eyesore on our game TBH.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:We seemed to go a long stretch without playing Chelsea at all in the 70s but I haven't checked.
Think they went down for a couple of seasons 75/76 and 76/77 came back up for a couple 77/78 & 78/79 (was at all 4 games and if memory is correct won them all). They were relegated again in 79 and next time we met was after we dropped a league to renew rivalry in 82.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Selby White wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:We seemed to go a long stretch without playing Chelsea at all in the 70s but I haven't checked.
Think they went down for a couple of seasons 75/76 and 76/77 came back up for a couple 77/78 & 78/79 (was at all 4 games and if memory is correct won them all). They were relegated again in 79 and next time we met was after we dropped a league to renew rivalry in 82.
Not really a 'long stretch' then - I def went to the home games but definitely 100% remember never going to Stamford Bridge :)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Not really a 'long stretch' then - I def went to the home games but definitely 100% remember never going to Stamford Bridge :)
You didn't miss much was a horrible place with crumbling terracing, really was a tip back then.

Saying that looking at all the KOPs the Shed was among the best of them when it got bouncing, packed to the rafters it made hell of a noise but that was before the yuppie brigade hooked onto them.

Just looked up the results
77/78 won 2-1 at the bridge (Hankin & Lorimer) and 2-0 at home (F Gray & Currie)
78/79 won 3-0 away (Graham & a brace from Hawley) and 2-1 ay home (Hankin & Graham)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

I've posted this image just to see if I could post this image correctly :D
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
Selby White wrote:
You didn't miss much was a horrible place with crumbling terracing, really was a tip back then.

Saying that looking at all the KOPs the Shed was among the best of them when it got bouncing, packed to the rafters it made hell of a noise but that was before the yuppie brigade hooked onto them.
77/78 won 2-1 at the bridge (Hankin & Lorimer) and 2-0 at home (F Gray & Currie)
78/79 won 3-0 away (Graham & a brace from Hawley) and 2-1 ay home (Hankin & Graham)
s
Wasn't the Shed that bit of a cover on part of the open terrace? Looked like an afterthought. Only ever went there once. Remember going back on the tube. It was absolutely packed and all the Chelsea fans were dancing up and down. The temperature in the carriage must have been well over 100 degrees F.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Selby White wrote:

s
Wasn't the Shed that bit of a cover on part of the open terrace? Looked like an afterthought. Only ever went there once. Remember going back on the tube. It was absolutely packed and all the Chelsea fans were dancing up and down. The temperature in the carriage must have been well over 100 degrees F.
Yes that was the shed :thumbup:
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Image

I've posted this image just to see if I could post this image correctly :D
Can't see it :thumbdown:

:D :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Boxing Day 1990. A excellent 4-1 Christmas present a brace from Lee Chapman in a game from memory we dominated.
Yep, my first ever trip to ER, courtesy of my late, great Dad ... Strachan & Batty bossed it. Mike Whitlow's goal was the best. Remember reading Sgt Wilko's piece in the programme about The Harlem Globe trotters being pointless - it's about winning, not entertainment! But, boy were we entertaining that day.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Leicester White wrote:
ChilwellWhite wrote:Boxing Day 1990. A excellent 4-1 Christmas present a brace from Lee Chapman in a game from memory we dominated.
Yep, my first ever trip to ER, courtesy of my late, great Dad ... Strachan & Batty bossed it. Mike Whitlow's goal was the best. Remember reading Sgt Wilko's piece in the programme about The Harlem Globe trotters being pointless - it's about winning, not entertainment! But, boy were we entertaining that day.
Once saw the Harlem Globe Trotters performing at Headingley Cricket Ground. Wilko was right, it was just entertainment. The team the Harlem Globetrotters beat were just part of the act. (1958).
I once played against Don Revie.