First name on your teamsheet.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

First name on your teamsheet.

Post by Davycc »

We often hear pundits and commentators saying a certain player would be the first name on the team sheet. So from the current squad can you name in order the first 11 of the on your team sheet? It may be harder than you think :)
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: First name on your teamsheet.

Post by NottinghamWhite »

For me it’s Luke Ayling what a player he’s become. Couldn’t see the sense in buying him from Bristol City & I felt I was right given the fee involves, £200k I just felt he was just another player from the bargain basement. In my opinion he’s the most improved player at the club & would command a much higher fee these days. Still only 29 & as Llorente, Struijk & Koch keep Coops out of the team then ‘Bill’ will be wearing the captains armband a lot more.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

1. Phillips
2. Meslier
3. Bamford
4. Raphina
5. Dallas
6. Ayling

After thats its not easy CB's are two from 4 and not yet 100% sure which is our best pair although was impressed with LLorente & Struijk yesterday, can't judge these things on one match though.

Where you play Dallas depends whether you go for Klich in midfield or Alioski (or Berardi) at LB.

No'10 spot up for grabs, Rodrigo, Roberts or Hernandez ?

Same with 2nd winger a few weeks ago thought Harrison had it nailed but not so sure now.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote: 1. Phillips
2. Meslier
3. Bamford
4. Raphina
5. Dallas
6. Ayling
I be inclinded to put Meslier as number 1 with Phillips 2. agree re 3,4,5 and 6 The rest as you gets harder.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

I’ve made it no secret I’m a huge Bamford fan so he’s my first pick. All too often people criticise him when clearly they don’t see the shift he puts in every game. He’s not a goal poacher Al la Sniffer he’s much more than that. Clearly a very intelligent player and has a great rapport with the other players but even more so Bielsa clearly rates him very highly, that means a lot.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

1. Raphinha
2. KP
3. Meslier
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

For me it has to be Dallas, he reminds me so much of James Milner, hugely consistent, can literally play anywhere and always, for me, plays a 7/10+ every week. Every team needs a player like him, imo. He really has flourished under MB.

Top5 would be, really difficult one but...

1. Dallas
2. Phillips
3. Ayling
4. Raphina
5. Bamford
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Dallas
I once played against Don Revie.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I am going to approach this, not just as picking the current in form players, it may reflect that, but I look at 20 players from whom I am going to create a teamsheet. Based on the small number of premiership quality players, baring injuries, and the fact that we start every game with the same tactical plan the team almost picks itself. These days the game has changed from the old defence,midfield,attack, line up and formations, to especially in our case, to a more of a complete cohesive team unit with responsibilities spread between all team members, you could call it an extension of the old Dutch concept of 'Total Football', where when we have the ball everybody is an attacker, when the opposition have the ball everybody is a defender.
So we have to fill in a teamsheet in order of priority to achieve this team unit. My first picks would be creating a skeleton or spine using my most effective players to give us the best coverage of the various situations required as the tactics laid down by management.

Meisler, you have to have a goal keeper.
Phillips, The main piece of the adhesive which holds the team unit together, and has all around abilities to work in every area of the field.
Ayling, Our most versatile player at the back, and is effective moving down the flank supporting offense.
Raphinha, up front, moves the ball well whether passing or running with it, creates and takes goals coring chances.

That's my first 4, next on the skeleton to to build a line up to accomplish this cohesive unit.
Starting from the back again.
Llorente, still early days for him at Leeds, but showing good positional sense,experienced to know what to do in dangerous situations and knows when to hoof and when to be constructive.
Dallas, played in midfield, he supports offense, and when opposition have possession becomes a forward positioned defender, this guy never quits.
Bamford, we need a guy in front center to take goal chances. Bamford works hard to help create chances as well. Wondering why he's not in my top 4 ?
Because if the top 4 were not stabilizing the unit there would not be any goal chances.

That's my first 7 on the teamsheet for the reasons given, it's a TEAMSHEET, not personal favorites or players getting plenty of positive press coverage.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Similar to Saxon, I think the teamsheet starts with establishing the spine:
1. Phillips
2. Bamford
3. Meslier
4. Llorente
5. Rodrigo

Kind of in order of who's hardest to replace. Cooper is probably more the spine CB, but I think that'll be Llorente soon enough. Particularly as Struijk will probably displace Cooper as LCB.

After that, the order of importance for the 'limbs' I guess.
6. Dallas
7. Raphinha
8. Ayling
9. LB or CM (Alioski or Klich)
10. Second CB (Struijk, Cooper, or Koch)
11. Second winger (Harrison or Costa)
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."