Fulham vs Leeds United memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Fulham vs Leeds United memories

Post by Saxon »

mapperleywhite wrote:Was at the previously mentioned 3-2 ER win with Matteo's goal, a real heart-in-the-mouth finish but highly enjoyable game.

As I've posted a few times, my first ever Leeds game was at Craven Cottage at the beginning of 1968. The rather unfortunate match programme said that the Cottagers 'must start the year as we mean to go on', so a 5-0 win for us was part of their slide towards relegation that season. Stand out for me was Eddie Gray beating four of the their players on the edge of the box and crossing for Greenhoff (?) to score. Never been able to find any footage of the game.

Not exactly celebrities but Richard Hayward, who played professional cricket for Somerset, and Kim Clarke Champniss, who became a widely-followed video jock in Canada, are both fans. Both are on my FB page as I was at school with them in west London, where later Hugh Grant was a pupil.

I was at that 5-0 win at Craven cottage also. We were in what was a small covered end, with the river to our right, it was the Fulham 'Kop', but there were more leeds fans, actually we were the only ones left in the ground by the final whistle. Terraces were wood and the whole place was bouncing.Pitch looked like the tide came in and only went halfway out
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

bedfordwhites wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Radios David Hamilton is the match day announcer. Other celebrity fans are Honor Blackman, Keith Chegwin, Hugh Grant, Nigel Havers, Pierce Brosnan, Willie Rushton & John Sullivan ( Only Fools & Horses writer ) Also those of us of a certain age will remember a certain Tommy Trinder as chairman.

Fictional characters who we’re supposed to be Fulham fans include Wolfie Smith, Terry McCann ( Minder) & DC Dangerous Davies.

Like SW I’ve had little to do with Fulham over the years during my purple patch we were in different divisions. I’ve never been to Craven Cottage either, one of the only London clubs I haven’t done.

An old work colleague of mine announced about 10 years ago that his doctor wife & her sister a solicitor decided to take early retirement to follow Fulham home & away, which until the pandemic they had done, including a couple of foreign trips. Apparently they have their ‘regular’ seats on the coach for away games.
Another BIG celebrity Fulham Fan literally is Richard osman. MOT.
The former Tory MP David Mellor was a Fulham fan, before he somehow morphed into a Chelsea supporter when Chelsea started coming up in the world.
Last edited by Westminster on 16 Mar 2021, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Saxon wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:Was at the previously mentioned 3-2 ER win with Matteo's goal, a real heart-in-the-mouth finish but highly enjoyable game.

As I've posted a few times, my first ever Leeds game was at Craven Cottage at the beginning of 1968. The rather unfortunate match programme said that the Cottagers 'must start the year as we mean to go on', so a 5-0 win for us was part of their slide towards relegation that season. Stand out for me was Eddie Gray beating four of the their players on the edge of the box and crossing for Greenhoff (?) to score. Never been able to find any footage of the game.

Not exactly celebrities but Richard Hayward, who played professional cricket for Somerset, and Kim Clarke Champniss, who became a widely-followed video jock in Canada, are both fans. Both are on my FB page as I was at school with them in west London, where later Hugh Grant was a pupil.

I was at that 5-0 win at Craven cottage also. We were in what was a small covered end, with the river to our right, it was the Fulham 'Kop', but there were more leeds fans, actually we were the only ones left in the ground by the final whistle. Terraces were wood and the whole place was bouncing.Pitch looked like the tide came in and only went halfway out
Well it's a small world Saxon! We were on one side of the ground and I'm fairly sure it wasn't the river side, so I'd have been to your left. Eddie weaved his magic - described above - right in front of my dad and I.

When you look at old footage pitches back then were appalling most of the time.

Where you local like us or did you travel down from God's county?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

I was still living with my parents, less than a mile from Elland Road.