International call ups 2021

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: International call ups 2021

Post by Costy »

Ordinarily Bamford not getting a call up wouldn't be too much of a shocker because even though he's exceeded expectations and scored a few brilliant goals this year, you still wouldn't really call him international quality. But then you see that Ollie Watkins has been called up and you think 'What's that all about then?'. No way is he a better player than Bamford. Very ordinary from what I've seen.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Costy wrote:Ordinarily Bamford not getting a call up wouldn't be too much of a shocker because even though he's exceeded expectations and scored a few brilliant goals this year, you still wouldn't really call him international quality. But then you see that Ollie Watkins has been called up and you think 'What's that all about then?'. No way is he a better player than Bamford. Very ordinary from what I've seen.
I think they're very different players TBH, Watkins has done well and he's more a poacher/predator type while Bamford's game is more varied. I like PB and have always backed him, even when he's under-performed, but I honestly don't think he's good enough yet for England. Part of me hopes he doesn't get called up because I think he would be unreasonably compared to Kane for instance, which could negatively affect him.
corkleedsmot
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by corkleedsmot »

I honestly think Paddy is short for an England place as much as I like him and any involvement he would have would be short lived. I think with the amount of stick he would take in an England jersey for some of the chances he does tend to miss he would be better off playing for Ireland. Not that that is an option now nor would I actually want a lad to sell short his own aspirations and the fact I and most irish fans wouldn't want anyone in our shirt who didn't have it as a first option. But from a purely selfish Leeds fan perspective I think it would be better for us. he would have far less pressure on his back and likely twice the love. He might be better off not playing international football than playing for us though :D

People saying Southgate is biased because of Villa connections need to look back a few months and see he had to be harassed to call Grealish up.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

It's perhaps a shame that Southgate didn't see the games when Bamford had his purple patch earlier in the season. When he came to watch Leeds, I think Bamford was in his barren patch and also missed a couple of good chances. I think it highlights England's dearth of top quality strikers when Kane is out of the picture.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Would have loved Paddy & Luke Ayling to have been called up.

Even if they had would doubt either would play but just been selected for their countries squad would lift their confidence another notch.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by whitedancer »

Bamford to inconsistent has 1 good game then go’s missing for about 5 , if u get a tight match and 1 chance comes along and it fell to bamford personally I expect him to miss. Wish we had kept roofe .
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Can't argue with Kane as our top striker -

Kane - 16 goals 13 assists
Bamford - 14 goals 6 assists
Calvert-Lewin - 14 goals 0 assists
Vardy - 12 goals 7 assists
Watkins - 10 goals 3 assists.

No other English striker in double figures.

When you consider Bamford has had 3 great finishes ruled out by VAR using a microscope and with the exception of our last penalty his total isn't boosted by set pieces (Klich took our others).

Our boy is doing OK.
John Dane
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by John Dane »

Meslier not first choice in the French U21 national team playing Denmark tonight - some young ‘keepers, they must have in France... :problem:

UPDATE:
And thank you (I hate to see Meslier beaten :D ): Denmark 1, France 0
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Tyler Roberts among three players released from Welsh squad for breaching COVID protocols
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I see Alioski’s North Macedonia beat Germany 2-1 last night
Winner of the Europa League