LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Don Revie OBE

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Don Revie OBE

Post by Selby White »

As a child of the Glory Years I thought I had to start the "Hall of Fame" for someone I consider the man who built Leeds Utd, arguably turned it from a Rugby City to a football city. Mr Leeds United in my humble opinion.
As a coach he was certainly a one off and actually moved the game to another level with his ideology, professionalism was clear in everything he did, attention to detail 2nd to none.
Actually what he achieved not only provided me the opportunity to see one of the Worlds best Club teams it actually created a passion for learning about coaching methods, something that stayed with me (ok the works team didn't do quite as well with me at the helm ;) ).

This is from Wiki -
Donald George Revie OBE (/ˈrɛvi/; 10 July 1927 – 26 May 1989) was an England international footballer and manager, best known for his successful spell with Leeds United from 1961 until 1974, which immediately preceded his appointment as England manager.

A forward, he began his career with Leicester City in August 1944, before a £19,000 move to Hull City in November 1949. He was sold on to Manchester City in October 1951 for a fee of £25,000, where he became the main focus of the "Revie Plan" which saw him named as FWA Footballer of the Year in 1954–55 after innovating the role of the first deep-lying centre forward in England. He won the FA Cup in 1956, having finished on the losing side in the 1955 final. He was bought by Sunderland for £22,000 in October 1956, before moving on to Leeds United in November 1958 for a £14,000 fee. In total he scored 108 goals in 501 league and cup appearances in an 18-year professional career, also scoring four goals in six England appearances as well as winning representative honours for the Football League XI and the England B team.

In March 1961, Revie was appointed player-manager of Leeds United, then a Second Division club who had never won a major trophy. Under Revie's management, Leeds became a major force in English football, winning the Second Division in 1963–64, the First Division in 1968–69 and 1973–74, the FA Cup in 1972, the League Cup in 1968, the FA Charity Shield in 1969, and the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup in 1968 and 1971. Additionally, Leeds were First Division runners-up five times, three times FA Cup runners-up and runners-up in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup and the European Cup Winners' Cup. In July 1974 he accepted the job as England manager.

I actually have this Video, well worth a watch -

Unfortunately I never actually met the Don personally but he still was a inspiration.

Please feel free to post your thoughts on this great Leeds Utd manager :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Don Revie OBE

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

On this day in 1961:-

Don Revie was named Leeds United player-manager before becoming the club’s most successful manager.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Great idea for a thread!! Need a bit of time to put a reply on this one together but will do.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Was lucky to meet Don several times as he was a regular at a restaurant I worked at & I had the VIP area which of course is where he always sat. He was Mr Leeds United, he started a dynasty that we’ll never see again. He also was the first manager to take the players to a hotel the night before an away game. His dossiers were legendary such was the detail he put in to preparing for a game. Of course he had a brilliant backroom staff including Les Cocker, very much an unsung hero with both Leeds & England.
The players time & again showed their undying loyalty to him. He put together a team of internationals & players such as Bates & Yorath both players who would have walked into any other Division 1 sides were happy just to be a part of Dons team.
My thanks to Don for all the wonderful memories he gave to me & so many other fans.
Winner of the Europa League
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Mr Leeds Utd about says it all, set the standards we may never see again, but will always dream about.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

No exaggeration to say that this club wouldn't have become world famous without The Don being our manager. I'm quite sure many of us wouldn't even be fans if it hadn't been for Mr Revie's influence. BTW, sorry if this offends anyone, but the correct pronunciation of Revie is 'Reevi', 100% ;)

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I remember Don Revie signing for Leeds as a player. He was past his best by then and most Leeds fans accepted this. Still, there was considerable surprise when he was appointed manager and most thought it would be a temporary measure until they found the right man. How wrong can you be! What a privilege to have been there from the very beginning and watching it develop. Many of the famous players developed through the 'Leeds system'. But also astute transfers. Particularly Bobby Collins and Johnny Giles. My only regret is that playing so much football, I only got to see the odd, mainly evening, game at ER. My number one memory of my football career is playing against the 'Don' on that Sunday afternoon on the Fullerton Park pitch. I was 85 yesterday but am blessed that my memories include all the above. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Not much else I can say, but I am going to copy sections of the liner notes from the book, 'Don Revie, Portrait of a footballing Enigma'.
Book written by Andrew Mourant, a lifelong Leeds fan. These notes, especially for the outsider or football fans who support other teams just open the door a slight crack, and give a morsel of information leaving you impatient to read the details.

Few people were neutral about Don Revie.
The Leeds United team he created was possibly the finest in the history of English league soccer. Yet it remained highly unpopular,for many felt it's voracious pursuit of honours was hallmarked by Revie's cynicism and ruthlessness.
This fascinating study of Revie, one of English football's most complex and controversial figures, examines the factors and influences that moulded him.
Mourant traces Don Revie's development from a football childhood, through his playing days with five league clubs, to management of Leeds United,England and beyond, and considers the legacy he has left at Leeds: A fanatical craving among supporters for a return to the days of glory and triumph which he brought to Leeds United.

So after reading this and other publications about Revie, one thing which is apparent now but somehow got lost at the time amid the winning, the great young team, backroom staff, the loyalty of everybody at the club. The thing, a major contribution to success was the total support of Chairman Harry Reynolds. What Revie did on the field, Reynolds did off the field. His yearning for success equaled Revie's, and he gave Revie total support in taking our club to greatness.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I think Tina Turner's song "Simply the best" would pretty much sums up our No 1 choice of Don Revie.

A manager who turned Leeds into a success and whose ideas were before most other managers had thought of them or used them.

Loved how he had such a good rapport with his fellow managers of his time.

He brought family ideals to the club. One of a kind although you do see some similarities with Marcelo in his dedication and application. We have been very lucky to have 2 of them at our club.

Play it again Tina!!!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.