Future Manager Material in Current Squad

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Future Manager Material in Current Squad

Post by johnnysmiles »

Inspired by a comment on the Fulham Match thread by Barlow Boy, who do you think will:

1. Become a manager
2. Be the most successful

I will start with:

1. Cooper, Forshaw, Dallas, Berardi, Alioski (too early to say for Strujk / Shackleton / Koch)
2. Can't decide between Forshaw (a lot of time on hi hands to study the game, has expressed an interest in management), Alioski (a surprising choice maybe, but mavericks often make good managers and I remember earlier in the season he had a right go at the attitude of the reserves in a Carabao Cup defeat and Berardi (has fiercely competitive streak, has seen & experienced the lot such as long term injury, the Cellino years including the Charlton 6, Bielsaball, and has been a massive off-field influence). If I was having a bet, I'd go for Alioski cos the odds would be higher!

Looking forward to seeing others' opinions!
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Future Manager Material in Current Squad

Post by gilesdriveby »

Beradi, Cooper, ayling, Dallas, Forshaw, Pablo jump to mind. Sorry BB but I think enjoys punditry too much and would prefer 30 minutes with Emma rather than 10 hours watching videos. And who would blame him.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Dallas for me, he has that ability to play in nearly any position which for a manager would be a massive advantage. I'd say his teams would be fit as well, start off lower league, even back home or in Scotland and work his way up.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks Johnny for the thread.

1. Liam Cooper - already a leader, a good communicator and seems to be respected by his teammates making him a perfect captain. If he carries in that vain, he will easily make the transition to management.

2. Patrick Bamford - I stand by what I said in the match thread, another excellent communicator and seems to be a reader of the game. During his after match interviews (it always seems to be him who is put forward by the club by the way), he generally seems to say what I’m thinking which is probably why I like him so much. An absolute natural for management for me.

3. Stuart Dallas - a real team player, he will play anywhere for us, another good reader of the game and is absolutely loved by the Irish fans. I see him managing his country one day.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Different era but I see Bielsa a bit like Don Revie in the fact that they are proper coaches and believe 100% in their own methods, players willing to learn can go on and become good managers/coaches in their own right.
Of the Revie Squad Charlton, Giles, Clarke, Bremner, Gray, etc all made managers while Cooper had a excellent coaching career.

So why not the Bielsa boys - Berardi, Coops, Ayling, Dallas, Hernandez, Bamford, etc.

Think it purely depends on whether they want to give it a go.

Part of me now thinks as these players go down the pecking order it may be worth employing them as player/coaches, could learn the trade while still providing cover. Also it would be great to develop future managers to enable continuity once Marcelo calls it a day (probably after our Champons League win ;) ).
I still believe to this day Giles or Charlton should have followed Revie.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote: Part of me now thinks as these players go down the pecking order it may be worth employing them as player/coaches, could learn the trade while still providing cover. Also it would be great to develop future managers to enable continuity once Marcelo calls it a day.
I really like that, Liverpool used to do similar didn’t they, employing members of the ‘boot room’.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote: Part of me now thinks as these players go down the pecking order it may be worth employing them as player/coaches, could learn the trade while still providing cover. Also it would be great to develop future managers to enable continuity once Marcelo calls it a day.
I really like that, Liverpool used to do similar didn’t they, employing members of the ‘boot room’.
Paisley, Moran and I think Evans came from the back room and of course Dalgleish & Souness were players.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Who will become a manager?
Who would be successful?

That's easy ;) There's only 92 football league Chairmen/Owners asking the same question.

First question....It's early days for most of our players to give an impression to us as to whether they have the qualities to be a manager.
Right now I only see Cooper as a possible, based on his experience and leadership. Even so with our tactics, Bielsa has made it a total team game, everybody has a specific job. Don't get me wrong, players are still showing their skills but maybe not expressing themselves as they would under a different manager. Off the field interviews with players also don't give anything pointing to having attributes for management. It's this personal expression of the game which I would be looking for at this time, and it's only one of many qualities too long to list that would fulfill the requirements of a manager.
I will give an example here of Arteta now at Arsenal. As a player you could see he 'had it', vision, leadership, calm under pressure, organizing on the field.
A right hand man at Man city, learning the day to day requirements of management, learning from one of the best. He took on a giant project at Arsenal where things were chaos at that giant organization. Apart from his 'Man management' stumbles, that's what I'm looking for in a future manager.

Who would be successful?
I think from our current players I already answered this question.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I think a lot of them will be thinking about it after their time with Bielsa. Maybe not all of them will become managers, but perhaps they'll become part of one another's coaching staff. Maybe an Ayling and Cooper duo, for instance. I could definitely see Forshaw as a decent manager. Bamford's an intelligent guy so he could make a good one. An obvious choice is Hernandez too.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."