Leeds United vs Sheffield United Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leeds United vs Sheffield United Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

No 3 in the series.

Good old fashioned Yorkshire Derby, what are your memories?

Is it the 1974/1975 where we won 5-1 not long after a certain Brian Clough left the club, one of my memories was of Gordon McQueen climbing over a Sheffield United striker, he actually flew above him, no foul and we scored later in the move, Tony Currie (my first Leeds hero) played for the dark side in that match?

Or one of our many failed strikers in the 80's where a certain John Pearson scored a hat-trick in a 5-0 win at Elland Road in the 1987/1988 season?

or when we won the title in the 1991/1992 in a crazy game with own goals, lots of wind and a 3-2 away win to seal the title (thanks to manure losing later in the day)?

was it "Go on Gary get one yourself" as Gary Speed scored in a 4-0 win in the super 1989/1990 season to help us on our quest to get back to the Old First Division?

could it have been in Biesla's first season as head coach as both sides claimed 1-0 wins away from home in the 2018/2019 season?

or was it the nightmare of losing in both cups to Sheffield United in the 2002/2003 season as we lost 1-2 in the League Cup and 0-1 in the FA cup?

was it any of them or was it another classic meeting between these clubs?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Leeds United vs Sheffield United Memories

Post by Leicester White »

https://youtu.be/_n5y6VvMNZ0My family got 5 tickets for the top of the table Boxing Day 1989 clash. I thought I'd drawn one of the three short straws with a ticket in the wrong end but turned out to be the right end as the three of us were right behind Mel Sterland's wonder free-kick. Dave Bassett clearly had a different view ... believe me it was unsavable.

My Mum was worried about us being in the away end so after the game my brother and sister carried me to the car pretending I was injured ... a bit mean looking back but funny at the time as she ran over to us.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Blunts always a big match for me was mates with a lad from school who moved to the Selby area from Sheffield, plenty of banter helped build a healthy hatred of them. Back then I occasionally went to Bramall Lane with him when Leeds didn't have a match and he came to Leeds a few times.

Also back in the day or National League Table Tennis Club had a mix of players from North, South & West Yorkshire with most of the South lads been Blunts, decent enough lads and good mates but bragging rights have become very important.

Can't recall any real stories from home matches with them to be honest but my first trip to their place was as a child with my Dad and that was when it only had 3 stands as it was also the Cricket ground. Believe they built the 4th stand in 1973ish so was before then.

Remember the time (think it was Easter Monday) later in the 70's when all the Leeds fans got there early and packed out the Shoreham St end (their Kop) and the Blunts fans had to relocate along the side as Leeds had both ends, not a happy bunch I'll tell you :lol:

Think it was the following year it sort of happened again but this time it was Split half Leeds & Half Blunts with a fence and plenty of police between.

Of course then think we had quite an eventful game in 1992 that we all remember fondly :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Think it was 2002 & we played there in a league cup game & the Blunts won & at the end their fans had a pitch invasion & as they approached us several seats were ripped out & hurled onto the pitch. Hadn’t seen this type of behaviour in years but it happened that night. They kept us in the ground for about half an hour & more seats were thrown onto the pitch also very noisy chants of Venables out. Saw a few Leeds on Leeds that night, something that’s always hard to see. A small group of their fans were waiting for us outside but soon ran off when they saw how angry our fans were.
My first visit to “ The Lane “ was on a glorious summers day in 1971 where over 40000 fans were crammed into the ground. This was August where we never played a home game due to the Tinkler incident vs West Brom the season before. For the record we were beaten 3-0 that day in Sheffield.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just remembered, once saw the best British Boxer to not win a world title at a Leeds v Blunts game, apparently Herol Bomber Graham is a Blunts fan. :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Westminster
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Westminster »

Don't worry, we can go one better. Josh Warrington's a Leeds fan and he actually won a world title.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Leicester White wrote:https://youtu.be/_n5y6VvMNZ0My family got 5 tickets for the top of the table Boxing Day 1989 clash. I thought I'd drawn one of the three short straws with a ticket in the wrong end but turned out to be the right end as the three of us were right behind Mel Sterland's wonder free-kick. Dave Bassett clearly had a different view ... believe me it was unsavable.

My Mum was worried about us being in the away end so after the game my brother and sister carried me to the car pretending I was injured ... a bit mean looking back but funny at the time as she ran over to us.
Thank you LW for this post and the clip!

My mate, who lived in Sheffield at the time, could only get me a ticket for the home end behind the goal. I was right in line with the Sterland free kick and could only raise an eyebrow in celebration.

This was the game I was thinking of for this thread and would never had guessed it was Boxing day 1989, nor the scoreline being 2-2.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....