LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Jack Charlton OBE

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Jack Charlton OBE

Post by Selby White »

Where do you start about Big Jack, England World Cup winner, one club man (as a player), good manager, loved in Ireland and someone you could have had a pint with. Real working mans player and person, not the most talented we've seen but he could certainly stop those who thought they were.

As a player he played over 600 games for us and scored an impressive 70 goals, not bad for a Centre Half. Defending and attacking set pieces was his trademark, what we would give for a Jack now.

As a person you couldn't fail to love him, as honest as the day is long and always had time for everyone. I was fortunate enough to meet him as a child (thats me the child not him ;) ). My mates parents won a Spot the ball comp and Jack was the celebrity that presented the cheque, he actually brought his Mum along for a night out and they stayed the whole evening chatting to all.

Made two young lads day (As we look its me on the right back when I had hair)

Can't not mention Jack without the Little Black book, got him in trouble at the time

"I cannot mention names but I have a little book with two names in it and if I get the chance to do them I will. I do not do what I consider to be the bad fouls in the game such as going over the top. That is about the worst foul in the game, but I will tackle as hard as I can to win the ball, but I will not do the dirty things, the really nasty things. When people do it to me I do it back to them. Because I am not noted for doing so people don't do it to me, but there are two or three people who have done it to me and I will make them suffer before I pack this game up."

He admitted later there wasn't a book but think a few centre forwards were running scared not knowing if they were on the list, great psychology :D

Of course not only a great player but did OK as a manager, excellent at Boro & Wednesday but will leave it to some of our Irish members to give their thoughts on his International Manager skills.

But if you have 90 mins or so to spare here is a great watch - Finding Jack Charlton

Enjoy
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LufcTalk Hall of Fame Inductee - Jack Charlton OBE

Post by Selby White »

Just seen Finding Jack Charlton was on the beeb tonight.
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

I’ve recorded it! Will enjoy watching it later.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

That was a hard watch last night, very emotional indeed. It had you laughing & crying in equal measures. To see a larger than life character suffer with that awful disease was incredibly sad.

As a player what can I say he was my hero & I was lucky to meet him on several occasions. I’ll always remember his running round Wembley with the World Cup aloft ( watched on TV ) him raising the league championship trophy to those of us who traveled to Anfield in 1969 & dancing in front of the packed terraces holding the FA Cup aloft in 1972 ( still my outstanding memory as a Leeds fan )
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

judy wrote:I’ve recorded it! Will enjoy watching it later.
I don’t know whether you’ll enjoy the programme but keep some tissues to hand.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Indeed a very hard watch especially seeing him going fishing with his son was the hard bit for me to watch,

R.I.P. Jack.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Indeed a very hard watch especially seeing him going fishing with his son was the hard bit for me to watch,

R.I.P. Jack.
Defo tough watch but what a great bloke Jack was, a real character.
Thanks for the memory RIP Jack
judy
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by judy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
judy wrote:I’ve recorded it! Will enjoy watching it later.
I don’t know whether you’ll enjoy the programme but keep some tissues to hand.

Oh dear! I cry at anything emotional. I’ll perhaps wait a while before I watch it. I find I’m much more emotional at the moment after all these months of lockdown etc!