Leeds United vs Liverpool Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Leeds United vs Liverpool Memories

Post by Leicester White »

Mr Russell wrote:I forgot to do one for the Manchester City game
I think safe to say for most of us our outstanding and longest lasting Man City memory will be 10th April 2021 now ... remember the date! :-)
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Leicester White wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:I forgot to do one for the Manchester City game
I think safe to say for most of us our outstanding and longest lasting Man City memory will be 10th April 2021 now ... remember the date! :-)
I think you just might be right about that one :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

The first game I ever went to, Leeds United v Liverpool 15th October 1977, I was 6 years old and went with my grandad, Liverpool won 2-1 and I was heartbroken but I have been hooked ever since.

A few years ago, following my mum’s death, my dad found my old ticket. He gave it to my wife, who has since had it framed, along with the programme from the day, it is still up on the wall now.

If I can work out how to put up an image, I’ll do it later :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

BB, that's fab. Always remember your 1st home and away game. Mine was Plough Lane with Mervyn Day in goal with a mate as soon as we were trusted to get on a train without parents. And my Dad took me to see newly promoted Leeds stick 4 passed Chelsea at ER on a Boxing Day visit to see his family in Harrogate.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:The first game I ever went to, Leeds United v Liverpool 15th October 1977, I was 6 years old and went with my grandad, Liverpool won 2-1 and I was heartbroken but I have been hooked ever since.

A few years ago, following my mum’s death, my dad found my old ticket. He gave it to my wife, who has since had it framed, along with the programme from the day, it is still up on the wall now.

If I can work out how to put up an image, I’ll do it later :oops:
I went to most of the home games from early 1970s through to the 80s, and then I missed Barnsley at home one wintry Saturday (we drew 2-2) so I broke my run, unfortunately. It was the hangover's fault :D Anyway, I digress - Liverpool at home was always my favourite match but I seemed to go years without seeing us beat them. There was the 1972 FA Cup replay which was on a midweek afternoon due to the strikes so I was at school. I also remember missing a Wednesday night game as I was a cub but we lost that anyway. And then we beat them in 1991 and, honestly, I was suddenly thinking that we were in with a chance for the title :thumbup:

I went to 'your' match, BB, and another defeat to them hurt a bit more than normal - I was absolutely obsessed with LUFC by then, I'd seen the team win things only when I was a bairn and now that we WEREN'T winning things, it was painful to see but that period was still great for the fans - the 'new' Leeds but still with some real class.

We drew 1-1 with them once, our very own 'super sub' David McNiven got the equaliser, it felt like a big win, it really did. And David was a family friend so it felt even more special. He still is of course but I don't really have a family any more!
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

A bit of research revealed that I was at ER to see Liverpool on 27th February 1982. What stuck in my mind was Graeme Souness scoring with a shot from outside the area at the kop end. Final score was a 0-2 defeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxZuzYDCpQA
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

First game I saw against Liverpool was the first home game after Don Revie took us back to the old 1st div, would have been Sept 1964. Liverpool were defending champions and we were young upstarts, Leeds 4 Liverpool 2, and I think big Ron Yeats scored an own goal for us.
Same season Wembley FA cup final 1965, as already said we were beat in extra time. A great memory for me as a young boy, as I didn't know that I was going until a neighbor fell ill the night before and his wife gave me his game and bus tickets.
Over the next few years games at Elland road and trips to Anfield. A 5-0 drubbing one year, Sprake throwing the ball into his own net trying to clear.One time Sprake nearly causing a riot in the Kop digging arrow head shaped trenches in the sacred Anfield turf for markers. A draw in FA Cup at Anfield and midweek afternoon replay at Elland Road because there was no electricity for floodlights, 2-0 leeds, Clarke getting both goals.Bremmner header in fairs cup semi one year.
There was fierce rivalry, but respect for each other, not like Man United or Chelsea. Liverpool played hard but fair and didn't complain after defeat, Bill Shankly would say some thing like, " We were beaten by the better team on the day".
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Probably outside of Leeds Shanks was my favourite manager, he was a real dour Scot. After the death of Everton’s legendary goal scorer Shanks said “I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death, he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon.”
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Probably outside of Leeds Shanks was my favourite manager, he was a real dour Scot. After the death of Everton’s legendary goal scorer Shanks said “I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death, he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon.”
The record crowd at Goodison is a lot bigger than at Anfield. I know, because I was there. 78,299. Not a lot of elbow room that day. Against Liverpool, naturally, ended 1 - 1.
When you think that the capacity today is 40,000 - for the same ground! Season 1948/49.
I once played against Don Revie.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

The Fonz wrote:Was at the game when Mark Viduka scored all our goals to beat them 4-3 what a performance, great memories.
Great day :thumbup: