Leeds United vs Liverpool Memories

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Leeds United vs Liverpool Memories

Post by Mr Russell »

I forgot to do one for the Manchester City game but back in the days or when i was at school this was the big game of the season as you were either Leeds or Liverpool (no Manchester United fans at my school, more Norwich ones :lol: )

What do you remember about this fixture?

was any of these or other matches between the 2 clubs

1965 FA Cup Final where Liverpool won 2-1 in extra time
1970/1971 Fairs Cup Semi Final where Leeds won 1-0 over 2 legs
1978/1979 where Liverpool came to Elland Road and won 3-0 to win the title with the most points ever when it was only 2 points for a win
1990/1991 in a crazy game where Liverpool won 5-4 and our own Lee Chapman netted a hat-trick, we were 0-4 down at one point of the match.
1991/1992 our first win over Liverpool since 1973, Steve Hodge netted our winner in a 1-0 win
1995/1996 both games as Leeds won 1-0 at Elland Road with a super Tony Yeboah stunner and Liverpool smashed us 5-0 with Gary Kelly getting sent off and Thomas Brolin thinking he was a footballer (he was once)
2000/2001 Our last win at Anfield (or anywhere else) as we win 2-1 thanks to goals from Lee Bowyer and Rio Ferdinand.

what are your memories?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Leeds United vs Liverpool Memories

Post by Selby White »

Mr Russell wrote: 1970/1971 Fairs Cup Semi Final where Leeds won 1-0 over 2 legs
All the matches listed bring back great memories but the one listed above I remember attending the home leg with my Dad.

We had been brilliant at Anfield winning 1-0 and we turned up expecting to dominate the 2nd leg. However Don decided we could control the game from the back and we hardly seemed to come out of our own half, best defensive performance I've ever witnessed.
Remember half way through the 2nd half some of the crowd getting restless and the Gelderd bursting into song reminding the rest of the ground we were 1-0 up and on our way to the final.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Ok who remembers the famous pitch invasion at ER by a Pantomime Horse.

I'm 99% certain it was against Liverpool and recall as it was arrested and led away by the boys in blue the crowd started singing "Goodbye to my Horse"
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:Ok who remembers the famous pitch invasion at ER by a Pantomime Horse.

I'm 99% certain it was against Liverpool and recall as it was arrested and led away by the boys in blue the crowd started singing "Goodbye to my Horse"
Yes I was there that day. The horse was part of the student rag week, from memory. The saying “ Goodbye to my Horse “ was one of the most spontaneous chants I’ve heard from The Gelderd End. It was 1973 & yes against Liverpool, Leeds won 1-0.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

1974 Charity Shield the game remembered more for the fight between Billy & Keegan that the actual game. We drank in Soho which was packed with Leeds fans. We walked to the underground & unbeknown to us there was a couple of dozen Liverpool fans there waiting for the tube, we were at least ten times those numbers. It kicked off & the Liverpool fans beat a hasty retreat. The leaders of the Leeds fans were 4 skinheads dressed in white butchers coats. There was more trouble after the game in the coach park.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

28th April 1969
Liverpool 0 Leeds United 0

A days holiday booked & picked up by Scarborough Supporters Club led by Maltese John on my way to my first visit to Anfield & what a visit it would be. Avoid defeat & all the hard work Don had put in the last 8 years would see us win the holy grail of the league title. Packed in the away section of the ground the atmosphere was very tense but it was made worse as Liverpool created chance after chance. Jack Charlton from memory was magnificent that night as he controlled the defence ably assisted by the other players notably Madeley & Hunter. The ref eventually blew the final whistle what happened next was totally unforeseen under Dons instructions Billy led the players to the packed Kop where for a little while they stood there then suddenly the chant of Champions went up then the Leeds players stated waving & hugging each other. The legendary Bill Shankly sent the Liverpool players to the away end where they were met with rapturous applause from the travelling fans. A truly memorable night & one I’ll never forget
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Leeds 4 Liverpool 3 in the 1992 Charity Shield was my favourite memory. A hat-trick from Eric Cantona and a Tony Dorigo goal sealed the after being 2-1 down after an hour. I remember the crowd wasn’t full to capacity which at the time surprised me.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

Selby White wrote:Ok who remembers the famous pitch invasion at ER by a Pantomime Horse.
Most likely Alex Ferguson hiding from our fans when he was a bit younger. :lol:
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Was at the game when Mark Viduka scored all our goals to beat them 4-3 what a performance, great memories.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

ChilwellWhite wrote:Leeds 4 Liverpool 3 in the 1992 Charity Shield was my favourite memory. A hat-trick from Eric Cantona and a Tony Dorigo goal sealed the after being 2-1 down after an hour. I remember the crowd wasn’t full to capacity which at the time surprised me.
This which I was lucky enough to be at and seeing the Viduka hattrick live on TV :-)